Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xl650: No More Primers On My Floor!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this is my info on the purchase http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=280404037487

hopefully you all can see it

I have done 500 rounds since the install

The only drilling needed was to drill holes on the strong mount and he even gives a template and longer machine screws to install to the press

the cap has three plastic tangs that hook into the drilled holes on the strong mount

Also the flange inner unit swivals so that as the plastic tube goes long and short the plastic hose doesn't bind or kink

The flange is really sweet

his username on e bay is subinc

post-4-1258760869_thumb.jpg

post-4-1258760885_thumb.jpg

post-4-1258760897_thumb.jpg

post-4-1258760937_thumb.jpg

post-4-1258761175_thumb.jpg

post-4-1258761279_thumb.jpg

post-4-1258761455_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davis

I was the one actually making and selling these, I can't claim credit for the idea because I'm a lurker here and first saw the concept on this site, I just refined the idea a bit :)

The cup is just your standard plastic pegboard cup which is mounted by drilling three holes on the side of the strong mount. If you need some better pictures just let me know and I'll post some.

My Funnel and Bracket started out being totally machined from aluminum bar stock but I got so many requests for them I changed the designs few times and finally ended up making the funnels out of common rifle brass so I could make them faster. If you look at the other posts on this subject (think they are in the 650 Tips and Tricks thread) there are easier ways to make the hose setup which will still work great, but you could make this same bracket and funnel with some common hand tools I would think, it just might not be as pretty.

Anyway, I wasn't making these to get rich (I was just offering them to people who wanted a bolt on fix or anyone who didn't want to make their own.) and I'm not trying to advertise these either because I am no longer making anymore at the moment but if anyone needs help making their own or wants part #'s for the cups, hose, ect. just let me know and I'll dig them up. (Most of the stuff came from McMaster)

-Steve

Hey

I just bought an primer catcher system off e bay that replaces the little bucket for $25.00

comes with a replacement flange that bolts directly onto the reloader

Sweeeeeeet !

I bought this one a few months back and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made for reloading. It was super easy to install and it requires no skill to use. I have had no issues with primer spillage since.

I would love part numbers if you have them handy.

Thanks

I was the one actually making and selling these, I can't claim credit for the idea because I'm a lurker here and first saw the concept on this site, I just refined the idea a bit :)

The cup is just your standard plastic pegboard cup which is mounted by drilling three holes on the side of the strong mount. If you need some better pictures just let me know and I'll post some.

My Funnel and Bracket started out being totally machined from aluminum bar stock but I got so many requests for them I changed the designs few times and finally ended up making the funnels out of common rifle brass so I could make them faster. If you look at the other posts on this subject (think they are in the 650 Tips and Tricks thread) there are easier ways to make the hose setup which will still work great, but you could make this same bracket and funnel with some common hand tools I would think, it just might not be as pretty.

Anyway, I wasn't making these to get rich (I was just offering them to people who wanted a bolt on fix or anyone who didn't want to make their own.) and I'm not trying to advertise these either because I am no longer making anymore at the moment but if anyone needs help making their own or wants part #'s for the cups, hose, ect. just let me know and I'll dig them up. (Most of the stuff came from McMaster)

-Steve

I emailed sthone from ebay and I guess he thought to check here now that the word is out. I wish he would make up another batch because I need something. The pics on page 1 from the OP dont show up for me but I am going to have to rig something up.

I have the new style primer catcher and it works ok but I still get primers here and there and my press is brand new. Give it some time and my garage floor is going to build up with these things.

Here are the Part Numbers from Mcmaster-Carr

11735A7 Pegboard Jar, Fits 3/16" And 9/32" Dia Holes, 2-1/4" Diameter

5233K594 Masterkleer Pvc Tubing, 5/16" Id, 7/16" Od, 1/16" Wall Thickness

97763A176 Black-oxide Ss Button Head Socket Cap Screw, 8-32 Thread, 1/4" Length (you could countersink the holes in the bracket to use the stock screw if you wanted too)

I think the Hose and Screws are only sold in bulk but you can find similar stuff at Home Depots, Lowes, Ect. (their Hose might not be as flexible because they are thicker but should still work.

I'm sure you all know but McMaster has I lot of cool stuff too like the bearings/washers for the shell plate fix, I also found some cool micro switches that can be modified and attached to the finished round chute to be used on the homemade (pedometer) round counters but these work off of the finished round and not the levering of the press.

Also the reason I can't make any more right primer upgrades now is because I don't have any heat in my shop so I'm pretty much done for the winter. Maybe Dillon should do an upgrade (hint..hint) :)

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I fixed my primer problem on my 550 with a cheap rubber plumbing pipe attachment. It's shaped like those cup shaped ice cream cones. Put into catcher cup. The cone catches all primers. The rubber shapes easily to the shape of the metal cup All good. If anyone wants a part number I can get it. This really works well.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading all of the posts on this topic I went home last night and came up with my own fix. Looked at the slot in the primer cup bracket, pulled out a .44 mag case, loosened the bracket and slid the case in with the rim between the bracket and platform - fit perfectly. I drilled a 5/16" hole through the bottom of the case and chamfered the bottom to remove burrs. Put it in place, locked it down and ran a few cases through the press. Primers all dropped right through. Now all I have to do is scrounge up a piece of tubing and something to catch the primers in.

After reading all of the posts on this topic I went home last night and came up with my own fix. Looked at the slot in the primer cup bracket, pulled out a .44 mag case, loosened the bracket and slid the case in with the rim between the bracket and platform - fit perfectly. I drilled a 5/16" hole through the bottom of the case and chamfered the bottom to remove burrs. Put it in place, locked it down and ran a few cases through the press. Primers all dropped right through. Now all I have to do is scrounge up a piece of tubing and something to catch the primers in.

I've got a .45LC case I picked up at the range because it looked unique. I'm gonna give that a try tomorrow. I loaded 1000 .45 ACP today and I must have at least 50 primers on the floor of the garage; stuck in cracks in the floor, down between the ammo cans under the bench, all over the bench, Freaking EVERYWHERE.

I drilled out the .45LC case, wedged it in the slot, reattached the bracket, hose clamped a piece of tubing to the case, stuck the other end into a 16 oz diet coke bottle strapped to the leg on my bench and it works!! Cost me $2 for the tubing.

Thanks guys

I am doing a USPSA match today and will look for some 4 mag brass but I dont understand what it is you guys are doing to make it fit. Any chance in some pics so I can see?

No pics sorry. But take the spent primer cup bracket off. There is a slot in in it. Drill the hole in the base of the .44 case about 5/16". Slide the rim of the case into the slot so it's under the spent primer drop hole and retighten the bracket. Now you have the rest of the case under the bracket that you can attach tubing.

• 1 month later...

I am also tired of spent primers on the floor. Reading through this thread and seeing the 44 mag case, I went to my 650 and pulled the primer cup bracket off and checked a 44 case and it did fit good but right next to my bin of 44mag cases was a bin of .50AE and guess what, it is a perfect fit! The case is the same size as the rim and it slips right on the bracket with no slop. I drilled the primer pocket out with a step drill so the opening is nice and beveled and it fits perfect. Now the .50AE is probably not something everybody has laying around, but if you can find one, it works like a charm!

• 9 months later...

Hey

I just bought an primer catcher system off e bay that replaces the little bucket for $25.00

comes with a replacement flange that bolts directly onto the reloader

Sweeeeeeet !

I just added this to my XL65 as well.

I couldn't get the twist of the hose to keep it from crimping. The tubing is thinner wall than what you get at Lowe's or Home Depot, so it is flexible. I tried shortening the hose a little bit, but, that didn't help very much. The amount of twist probably depends on where it was in the spool.

So, I changed it to a latex hose, 3/8" ID. That works like a real champ and is highly flexible. (1/4" ID worked really well for small primers but large would get stuck.). If anyone runs into this problem, there's an easy fix.

Edited by rodell

I guess I was lucky to find it on Ebay when I did. I had tried the empty case fix prior but always had to mess with it to work.

I thought I would have the same problem with the kinked tubing but when the press is operated it has just the right length to straighten out and drop those pesky little guys.

I guess I was lucky to find it on Ebay when I did. I had tried the empty case fix prior but always had to mess with it to work.

I thought I would have the same problem with the kinked tubing but when the press is operated it has just the right length to straighten out and drop those pesky little guys.

My problem with the kinked hose was when it was in the "shortened" condition with the handle up. The hose wouldn't consistently bend the same way. I was worried that fatigue would crack it and it just "bugged" me!

Edited by rodell

I used the doubled over tape method like the photo below for years before welding a short section of ½” box tube drop to the little holder. Both methods keep the primers in.

For the tube method a 44 magnum case is perfect, just drill it out and loosen the bracket and slide the rim above the bracket and tighten it back in place.

100_0862.jpg

pricup.jpg

primercup.jpg