Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

West Point, Ny 3 Gun Match

Some of the information looks incorrect (the dates don't add up) and the application is from the last match, but, this is a GREAT match. It's held on West Point's ranges, which are huge and offer a lot of possibilities for stages.

Last time there were 11 stages, 8 rifle, 2 pistol, 1 shotgun. Round count was usually around 20-30, with one 44 round rifle stage.

You are transported from range to range by match staff (usually on Humvee's or Deuce-and-a-halfs).

The match is not USPSA, check the match info for scoring and rules.

At the last match during lunch you could shoot full autos for a modest fee.

Prize table was large and well stocked. Everyone got something in the random raffle and top three shooters in each class got a gun, IIRC.

Look here:

USMA 3 Gun Match

Good to see they are holding that match again this year, Andy was a great guy. Wish I was closer so I could support it.

Make sure and go to his web site, click on original story, then news, and read it from the bottom up. That was a long month, I must have refreshed that site a few hundred times a day waiting for updates on his condition.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I'm going and I'm bringing my son, I was told he can shoot rifle and shotgun but not pistol, some lame New York law, but it's a chance to get up there and check out West Point. BTW he is 15 and outstanding with the rifle and shotgun.

I dont know about that unless the law has changed in the last couple years. My boys both shot the Area 7 in NY. I was with the understanding it was ok for a junior to shoot if they were not a resident of NY, the law applied to residents. I felt bad for the kids at that the match working but couldnt shoot. Has the law changed or were you talking about residents juniors?

West Point is Federal Land, New York State Law does not apply. The only exception would be transporting guns through New York to get to West Point. If you look at the match info (esp. the registration form) it states they will allow you to shoot Class III full autos for a minor fee. This is verboten in New York, but guess what, you're not in New York any more!

The problem would be transporting the class 3 through NY state to get there. You have to apply for a permit to travel out of state with class 3. The big point of this is to make sure your route doesnt take you through non class 3 states. I have never got a permit myslef so there are some out there who know more about that than me.

The Class III weapons are property of the Combat Weapons Team. They're not inviting you to bring your own, they're inviting you to shoot theirs, for a small fee.

Sorry , guess I tied the transporting over to the full autos and what they are doing didnt occur to me. So what kind can we shoot? any big stuff?

The Class III weapons are property of the Combat Weapons Team. They're not inviting you to bring your own, they're inviting you to shoot theirs, for a small fee.

Sorry , guess I tied the transporting over to the full autos and what they are doing didnt occur to me. So what kind can we shoot? any big stuff?

Chuck,

If you go to the website listed on the first thread, I believe it states what's available on the entry form.

West Point is Federal Land, New York State Law does not apply. The only exception would be transporting guns through New York to get to West Point.

OK... Let us break this down.

A few of us from Maine are planning to go to this match.

Now, some of us were planning on shooting open, others tactical.

This means we *may* have lots of things like, beta-cs, high cap mags, ARs with telescoping stocks as well as pistol grips and flash hiders, you know... the standard stuff. :rolleyes:

*What type of regs should we be looking out for as we make our way through the state?*

:wacko:

Configure your gear as per the Federal Transport Law. All firearms should be unloaded and stored in a locked container, preferably in a separate, locked portion of the vehicle (read: trunk). You're coming from the North so there's no reason to be passing through NYC, so no worries there. Drive within the speed limit and don't consent to a search of your vehicle and you should be OK.

You own your gear legally in your state, you are passing through New York state to get to Federal Property, thus the Federal Transport Law governs you just as it would if you drove through New York to get to a match in Florida or any other State/Territory/Country.

sounds like a cool match, hope i can make it

Hey it would be great to see you guys there. I have already sent my registration in, andlet me tell you it was hard not to overspend on buying mags to shoot the full auto guns.

If you guys come through my way on your trip up or back you are welcome to stop over for burgers on the grill.

Albert

• 1 month later...
On another topic:

Anybody have any good hotel reccomendation for this match?

You could always look at Hotel Thayer, right on the grounds. It is very beautiful but a little expensive. There are quite a few hotels right around the school as the cadets families come to visit all the time.

Adam