Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dryfire Distraction

Micah

Dryfire is something that I do daily. If I have free time at home, I'll go to my shooting room and dryfire some more...In fact, the only two things that I would do at home would be sleep and dryfire (and load ammo) if the wife would let me!

Occasionally (read:often) my wife would find important things to talk to me about while I am doing drills like "Dr. Phil is great!" or "The View was so much better without Rosie!"

I used to allow these things to annoy me, and found that if I tried to keep on with my drills, I would miss draws, reloads, etc.

The thought occurred to me that I should invite my wife to strike up a lengthy conversation with me from time to time when I am dryfiring. After several months, I have found that I am able to completely tune out all noise when I want to, and still hear the buzzer in perfect clarity. This was reinforced last month when I watched video of myself shooting the Ohio Sectional. My "friends" were making some rather loud vulgar comments about how phallic I looked while wearing a particular hat right before I shot a stage, yet I heard nothing but the buzzer.

Anyone else experiment with this? It's helped me focus more, and make my wife feel more included in my obsession with USPSA!

Edit to add: Ladies, I am sure that this technique is effective with your husband/boyfriends as well!

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

Tough room . . .

PB - I would encourage you to NOT let the Mrs. read your post. While I think your method will work GREAT in developing your ability to focus amid distractions, it may not develop your ability to preserve the marriage. :)

Edited by davidball

Believe me.......you would learn this method without the dryfire. After years of marriage you can look right at her smile and even answer questions and not know what in hell she just said. While she is going on about her day.......you'll never believe what happened and then she said and I said then she said and then and then and then.......all I'm doing is smiling and wondering if I have enough ammo loaded for the weekend. I think God gives us this ability to allow us to keep our sanity.

Behind this good man is a much greater woman! She knows that I am tuning her out for the better part of the conversation, so there is little chance of triggering WWIII.

This is also the same woman that though it was bs for a man to give a woman an engagement gift (diamond ring) yet get no gift in return. One month after asking her to marry me, she handed me a new Glock 34! Wadda gal :D

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

"Honey will you help me with my shooting? I need to tune out all distractions while shooting, so if you will sit there and prattle on endlessly while I ingore you it would be a great help."

Have you tried Rodeo Sex yet?

Exactly.

I don't believe that's lawful in Ohio :D

I do this also. I absolutely loathe shows like Grey's Anatomy and crap shows like that. My wife TiVo's them so I play them while I dryfire. It's helps me tune things out.

Joe

I use shows like that for dryfire practice. Moving targets on the big screen.

RAP music puts some of us into a homicidal rage.... :angry:

Yea...the Rappers themselves.

This thread should be under Mental Conditions rather that Mental Conditioning.... ;)

Well, the voices told me to post here...and far be it from me to ignore Capt. Howdy :blink:

:D

RAP music puts some of us into a homicidal rage.... :angry:

Why? You do realize Rap music was actually invented by white folks about 100 years earlier, in fact.

They just called it...Square Dancing.

When I feel like dry-firing, which hasn't happened in a couple months, I'll head to the garage, and turn the radio to some "hits from the 80's" station.

• 5 months later...

Sorry this is the first time I've seen this post and I just had to comment. I can't tell you the fights I've had with my better half for not paying attention to her during a conversation. This is usually due to the TV not dry firing. But now I have 3 little ones to take care of too. Try to get practice in with a wife that has something "important" to say and 3 tots looking for your attention as well. Not to mention the 2 dogs, the house, the car and work. I think I'm starting to hear voices too!

Believe me.......you would learn this method without the dryfire. After years of marriage you can look right at her smile and even answer questions and not know what in hell she just said. While she is going on about her day.......you'll never believe what happened and then she said and I said then she said and then and then and then.......all I'm doing is smiling and wondering if I have enough ammo loaded for the weekend. I think God gives us this ability to allow us to keep our sanity.

:D exactly. :wacko:

Try dry-firing when you have kids. You will find yourself doing it at some of the weirdest times of night, just to get some peace and quiet.**

**This also applies to just about anything you want to do alone when you have a wife/kids :P

• 2 weeks later...
Well, the voices told me to post here...and far be it from me to ignore Capt. Howdy :blink:

:D

I would encourage you not to let the REST OF THE WORLD READ YOUR POST EITHER.

At least now I know you were crazy way back in November too :P

He wants to meet you Keen...

EXORCIST_Howdy_800x600.jpg