Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most Beautiful Sight On Earth

Now we're rolling . . . Thailand, Kilamanjaro, the Alps . . . and even Kentucky. Great stuff.

In my limited travels I have been most "wowed" by the Grand Canyon, which I visited for the first time last April. We drove up to our hotel on the south rim and before I could walk in to check in, I ventured to the edge of the canyon. I involuntarily and relfexively said in a clear (and loud) voice, "You have GOT to be kidding me." When I heard myself I started to become embarrassed, then noticed the approving stares and nods of the surrounding tourists.

I want to go back and do some serious exploring.

The rocky coast of South Africa where the Indian Oceans warm currents slam into the frigid currents of the Antarctic flow is absolutely breathtaking. It creates some very rough seas and extreme waves against the rocks. The ocean is also a shade of blue that can't be described.

The fjords leading to Stockholm from the North Sea are incredible. Nova Scotia in and around Halifax is extremely cool.

My all time favorite though are the mountains of Colorado where I grew up. Places like Matt posted the picture of are only a short drive and walk from the house I grew up in. Beautiful, peaceful, solitary, immense, I just can't get enough of it. I need to move from the anus of America and get back.....

I've traveled very little, but two places really left me speechless.

One was the first sight of the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho. The other was rafting down the Chattooga river in SC the first time. Believe me, the movie Deliverance barely gave you a glimpse of the beauty of that wild river.

I treasure a sunrise or sunset (and have the hundreds of photos to prove it) on the Gulf, Atlantic, or Pacific shore and the morning mist in any of our great wilderness areas can’t be discounted. But the sight that literally took my breath away was when I topped the dark winding staircase of la Sainte Chapelle to behold the luminous beauty of the upper chapel.

There are thousands of square feet of stained glass that is over 800 years old and no photograph of mine can do it justice. Visit the web site for a small taste of this national treasure. If you visit Paris this is a not to be missed stop.

http://www.monum.fr/m_stchapelle/indexa.dml?lang=en

David C

The sun setting into the ocean from Fleming Beach on the north shore of Maui wasn't bad.

Once saw a sunrise from Myrtle point at the top of Mt Leconte Smokey Mtn Park.

There was low cloud cover but we were above it.

It was like looking out over an ocean of clouds with random peaks sticking up into the distance, the sun shining down on it all.

To my right the wind pushed the clouds up and over a low ridge in a straight line like a snake.

As it crossed the crest of the ridge it broke into a cloud waterfall tumbling down the other side.

Not too shabby.

Riding my Harley up Highway 14 in Colorado winding along the Poudre river into the Front range of the Rockies was unforgettable.

The best would have to be climbing Mt Estes in Rocky Mountain park.

It is a long climb and after you leave the tree line you work your way up through an Alaskan tundra up to the top of a ridge at about 13,000 ft.

While climbing all you can see is the ridge line above you.

When you get to the top you cross over to the north face at a place called the keyhole.

When you make that last step up and look through to the other side, you are greeted by a panorama of the front range and the continental divide that is up close and personal.

It is a spiritual moment that becomes etched on your soul.

Tls

I agree with the Grand Canyon

post-4205-1163454357.jpg

But Thailand is also breath taking.

in the south...

post-4205-1163454241.jpg

in the north...

post-4205-1163454305.jpg

And shamelessly posting pictures of the greatest sight on earth to me at those places.

I don't have the picture any more...But there several in my life time that come to mind.

First. Kenya (near Narobi National Park) I stood near a mountain overlooking the red clay plane to the north, and to the east (just by turning your head) the ocean, southwest and almost behing me, Snow covered mountain tops. Sun was setting and there was thousand or wild animals moving in the valley....Just Breath Taking..

Second: Seyshelles Sunrise any day any Island....The Granite Island, reflecting the turcoise/greenish water at sunrise is just freaking awesome...

Many other's, but those are some that I tell everyone they must see...(Yosemite, Summer in Alaska, Kuwaii, Paris at Night, Torre Molinos in Spain, etc.)

Edited by Nerves

Some pictures I found from a quick scan of the hard drive, one is a picture of a sunset of my parents front porch, second is a picture of the continental divide (the trail runs down the closest ridge in the photo) and the third is a spider I found this summer.

post-7366-1163560985.jpg

post-7366-1163561008.jpg

post-7366-1163561036.jpg

Scuba diving in Guam was quite a sight. Maybe it had something to do with the quiteness of it. There is something to be said for only hearing the sound of your own bubbles. Otherwise, I've been most impressed by caves. I've toured a few, although I don't do any spelunking. Carlsbad is probably my favorite, so far.

You want international huh... how's this

The Blue Mountains in Australia.

Ayers rock at sunset (IT"S RED!)

Tazmania coastline on a cold foggy morning.

Sunrise over the Fiji coast.

I'll try to find my albums and scan in the pictures.

PS - Lightning storms are pretty cool to look at too :)

New river is awesome in just about any season...

Matt... will your sister marry me.. seriously thought, she needs photochopped out to make sure that us males aren't overwhelmingly voting for the pics just because of her.

The west virginia fall is beautiful in the eastern part of the state... where there are nothing but trees and small winding roads.

I'll have to dig up my sunset pics. one of my favorite places to drive is through the horse farms in kentucky towards the Bluegrass Sportsmans League.

The Sand dunes of the outerbanks captured me as a child. I've never been abroad so everything will be domestic to me... maybe next summer.

Picking the right scenery has so much to do with your openness to your surroundings and how you feel when you look at them.