Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harassing Phone Calls

Matt Cheely

I keep getting this *^$#(($*@ number calling me anytime of the day or night. First time I picked it up not knowing who it was. I'm greeted by a pause, a click, and then some foreign guy asking if Anna is there. So I say no and hang up. A few more days of calls and I google the number and they're saying it's some kind of scam.

How do I tell cingular to get this number to stop calling me!!! :angry:

Quit messing around with Anna (she's taken) and I am sure the calls will stop.

Dayum! He's messing with Anna?!!! :o

Man, you guys are a big help. Matt asks for serious assistance and he gets you guys fooling around . . .

. . . besides, I saw Anna with Jake. She said something about a Front Sight cover getting her jets going, or some such nonsense.

If you have their called ID, and your phone is on the do not call list, file a complaint. I'm not sure if they do anything, but I once filed a complaint for one everyday regardless of whether or not they called. Plus I filed a complaint for each call registered on the caller ID. They were going at it for 3 days before I started filing the complaints. It stopped shortly after.

Could always be a credit collections agency too. I get cases all the time where apparently some turkey who had my phone number years ago is being sent to collections for something, so they call the number.

And keep calling it every few weeks in the hopes that maybe that guy will answer some time!

If you have their called ID, and your phone is on the do not call list, file a complaint. I'm not sure if they do anything, but I once filed a complaint for one everyday regardless of whether or not they called. Plus I filed a complaint for each call registered on the caller ID. They were going at it for 3 days before I started filing the complaints. It stopped shortly after.

Where do you file the complaint?

Once you have registered, your phone number registration will be effective for 5 years. It will be illegal for most telemarketers to call you, and you will be able to file a complaint if a telemarketer does call you. The website www.donotcall.gov provides information about filing a complaint.

Well if it is a scam, it sounds like it is one of those deals where someone calls from outside national borders with an 800 number. You aassume it is domestic and free, but because of the vagaries of telco, international 800 numbers can be billed to you at whatever rate the guy at the other end of the circuit wants (think 900 number).

Call up cingular customer service like you were getting prank calls. That should get you to the right neighborhood in support land to discuss the actual issue. no idea what remedy is available form cingular. (from a quick web search, it looks like not much).

A possible answer, if your phone is capable, is to bput the number in your phone book. Then assign it a silent ring tone. Viola.. you never know when that number is calling.