Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sjc Glocks For Open

A-shot

I have been wanting to shoot open recently. I'm new to the game, I've been shooting limited with a g35. Would a stealth package from SJC be worth it to get into open relatively quickly and cheaply? Anyone with a SJC glock? I'm going to get an open pistol built by Bedell soon, but time is an issue. Then I want a BHFF for limited. I'm thinking of turning the g35 into an open pistol, which I'm not feeling as much as getting a g17 and having them go to it. I live in Cali, so legalities and such are always a consideration. Mags would be an expense that I wouldn't have to deal with just yet if I shot the glock in open, coz I already have the mags tuned and ready. Mag tuning for the widebodies would have to be more $$$ that I could just save right now...I guess time is more important to me than $$$ at the moment, but I don't want to blow my budget!

Steave will press fit the barrel for us in the Kali Kartel, it's all good...no threads, no mess.

Unless, of course, the laws have changed within the last 90 days. It's hard to keep up.

Edited by A-shot

I have a S & J Customs Glock 17 open gun and love it. John and Steave are great to deal with there and they build a great product. Sevigny finished 5th at the Steel Challenge with one just like mine and I finished in the top 32. The gun is dependable and just plain fun to shoot. My first shot times are quicker than with my STI gun. You can buy a complete 17 for about $2000. Look them up at www.glockjockey.com SAJ

The last time I spoke with John, sometime in August, he was not sending threaded barrels into California. We were both under the impression that it was illegal to be in possession of a threaded barrel (without the right permits) in California. He did mention that he was looking for a California solution. Apparently he has had to turn away a lot of business.

I shot Randy Jackson's SJC gun at the Steel Challenge and it was very nice. Now all I have to do is move out of California.

Itchy

I have a S & J Customs Glock 17 open gun and love it. John and Steave are great to deal with there and they build a great product. Sevigny finished 5th at the Steel Challenge with one just like mine and I finished in the top 32. The gun is dependable and just plain fun to shoot. My first shot times are quicker than with my STI gun. You can buy a complete 17 for about $2000. Look them up at www.glockjockey.com SAJ

:o Hey wait a second, I just put 2 and 2 together! SAJ must be Randy Jackson. Is that single action Jackson? Hmm. Only 3 S&J guns at 2006 Steel Challenge. Hmm. Dave S. Jessie A. and Randy J. Hmm. Top 32. Whew!

Itchy

(my goal for next Steel Challenge...be smart enough to shoot IDPA with a flashlight!) :blink:

Edited by itchy

If the comp is permanently attached, it's not "threaded" any longer. I have two open guns in California. Both have the comps permanently attached. Not like it matters in the sense of switching out comps anyways. 'Bout the time you want to change the barrel, you'll probably need to change the comp too.

It's fine. Contact CA-DOJ and they'll explain it.

Rich

The only real problem that I see with permantly attaching a comp to a barrel on a Glock is that cleaning is going to be a pain in the a$$. Because you won't be able to remove the barrel from the slide

The only real problem that I see with permantly attaching a comp to a barrel on a Glock is that cleaning is going to be a pain in the a$$. Because you won't be able to remove the barrel from the slide

Not a problem turn the slide over and let it hang. Brian Hawley did a very nice job on my Glock 21.

+1 for SJC. John built a Stealth for me and it runs like a dream. The price is right, the service is outstanding and the quality is second to none. I shipped Steave my G35 and within 4 weeks I had a Open Glock ready to roll.

Call Steave you won't be sorry! :)

The last time I spoke with John, sometime in August, he was not sending threaded barrels into California. We were both under the impression that it was illegal to be in possession of a threaded barrel (without the right permits) in California. He did mention that he was looking for a California solution.

And the same here. This is the only reason I mentioned it.

Joe

I have the honor to shoot with Grant, Steave's Brother, at my local club, if Steave and John are a nice, personable, and Honest as Grant is I would do bussiness with them any day, and probably will in the future when i get a glock that he makes parts for.

I asked Grant to ask Steave if there is any way that He could coerce his brother into making a Magwell for my 20, then next day he said, " man I am really sorry and my brother told me to tell you that he is soory that they don't make any magwells that will work on my 20. He gave me a few options and I am currently pursuing them. I have shot Grant's 24 and I think it is the Nicest Glock I have ever shot, Great tigger job, and Awesome Stippling.

Once again just my $.02

At firt, not thinking Glock, I was thinking 1911 I was like, WTF? Then I rememberd how Glocks come apart. This would be a problemregardless of what state you live in. I plan on getting a SJC open Glock too, and you can bet I'm not takin' the comp off every time to clean it.

I'd do this. After removing the guide rod assembly, flip the slide upside down and mount it into a little vice (the cheap portable kind that suction cup to a table and have rubber covers over the "grabbers" so not to scratch anything). Pick the barrel up and slide towards the muzzle and it'll pivot as it is allowed to clear the striker area (I don't know what to call it). Then just clean the barrel and comp. When it comes time to knock out the chunks out of the comp, repeat with the slide in the vice sitting normall so you can scrape/chisel out the crud.

My first thoughts, but threading a comp off and on every time to clean would be a pain in the ass regardless.

Rich

Couldn't you also just get old school and soak the slide, barrel and comp in some stuff, then scrub it with a toothbrush? Soap and water every month or so, then oil, should be ok. I really don't care if the comp can or can't come off, as long as it doesn't come OFF when it shouldn't!! I'm gonna shoot it, there are not as many affordable options to get into open division within CA. :)

I shot a glock open gun in 9 major and it was pretty sweet but then I shot a race gun in .38 super and the difference was night and day.

was the glock a slide mounted optic or a frame mounted???

I have shot several 1911 patern open guns next to my open Glock and I cant see any diference.

I shot an early doctor sighted gun and it was harsh compared to what I have now a days.

I had at the same time a caspion hybride gun , an sti hybride38 , an sv comp only gun38 , and an old para that I fooled with in 9x21for a while .

I sold all the 1911 guns and havent looked back . these guns where my bench mark . To see if the Glock was going to be up to the task.

What I found was that the Glock was so much faster in transition that any percieved advantage in splits is washed out to the positive . are they as flat I think so are they as soft ? with the right load.

I realy think that any one that gives them a chance will find that an open glock will take them to any level they will put in the time for.

Johnnie

I cleaned my Brian Hawley open glock barrel [KKM] without a vice - just be careful not to cut your hand on the back of the slide rails. A work glove takes care of that.

To clean the slide, lay out some newspaper and spray the inside with brake cleaner, shake, wipe off with paper towels or rag. That's it.

I think Johnnie's set-up on a steel CCF raceframe would be a pretty sweet setup. Getting the gun's weight up near 40oz would be a plus for me.

Edited by eric nielsen

:D

:o Hey wait a second, I just put 2 and 2 together! SAJ must be Randy Jackson. Is that single action Jackson? Hmm. Only 3 S&J guns at 2006 Steel Challenge. Hmm. Dave S. Jessie A. and Randy J. Hmm. Top 32. Whew!

Itchy

(my goal for next Steel Challenge...be smart enough to shoot IDPA with a flashlight!) :blink:

FYI

You added 2&2 and got 6. SAJ is not S&J Customs. The S is for Steave & the J is for John AKA Mad Scientist :D

Thanks Kyle. Really needed to read that after today's match.

Shot like crap and man do I hate Glocks right now. I'll detail more in my AAR including how I was so frustrated that I considered withdrawing from the match and then got called into work.

Rich