Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays And Metering On A Dillon Press

alzo

So many of the users of this forum advocate using Hodgdon Clays. However, I have seen several users mention significant problems with consistent metering of Clays on their progressive presses. So what's the scoop ? Does Clays meter well on say, a Dillon press, or is it problematic in that regard ?

Edited by alzo

I have had 0.1 gr variations on my XL650 but after a few rounds it seems to be pretty consistent. A variation of 0.2 gr is about as much as I've seen and then only if I've had some type of interruption in the loading process.

Edited by XD Niner

Clays is a light, low density flake powder, so it can bridge (clog) in the funnel and drop a light charge, then perhaps a heavy one right after, and may pack differently in the powder bar opening depending on how much settling occurs as the press vibrates through the reloading cycle.

Consistent press operation, the same on each and every stroke, helps. I personally think that a little bit of consistent vibration may also help "shake down" the bridging, and may also make settling a consistent charge into the charge bar better.

I run my 550's like I am mad and Clays meters to within a tenth every time on time loading progressively. I have thrown down to 2.5 grains for some light 38's and 9mm stuff without a problem, they were all right where they should be.

The Dillon measure really is good, it will handle just about anything you put in it and meter it very consistently.

• 2 weeks later...
I run my 550's like I am mad and Clays meters to within a tenth every time on time loading progressively. I have thrown down to 2.5 grains for some light 38's and 9mm stuff without a problem, they were all right where they should be.

The Dillon measure really is good, it will handle just about anything you put in it and meter it very consistently.

I agree with Mr. Smith.. :) I also think that if you run a press with "abandon" it might actually be more consistent due to the vibration actually preventing powder bridging and ensuring a good and constant powder flow and drop.

drop a light charge,

then perhaps a heavy one right after

In theory, it might be possible for the measure to throw a light charge for various reasons, but I don't think there's any way it could throw a heavy charge. A powder measure meters powder by volume.

Every time I check the weight on the random load or two, it's always right-on. Use Clays at about 3.5gr per load. Works fine for me on the SDB. Has been that way ever since I set it up about three years ago. ;) Rounds at firing FEEL consistent as hell, too. No discrepancies.