Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions On Benny Hill Fat Free 6"

sasquatch981

I am contemplating selling my current Limited Set-up STI 5" with short dustcover, in order to fund the purchase of a new Fat-Free 6".

Can the owners of said dream pistol :wub: post some opinions on what they like and or dislike about the pistol? How would it compare to a standard 5" with a short dustcover? What is the "perceived" recoil compared to the short dustcover pistol, and compared to a heavy/full dustcover? Does the lightened 6" slide cycle as fast a standard 5".

What type of frame is the fat-free built on? Standard Frame, Long/wide 5", or a Long/wide 6"?

Thanks for your help.

Any additonal photos of a fat-free would be welcomed as well.

Benny gave me a Fat Free to shoot a while ago and I can say that I really don't like it, not one bit, because I don't have two of them! :D

The FF is built on a standard short dust cover frame, so just sell your top end! The slide is lightened and it cycles as fast as a 5". It has a much lower felt recoil impulse, and the sight doesn't move from the A zone at all. The pistol over all is less nose heavy than an Edge w/ tungsten guide rod. The extra sight radiuss makes 25 yard 6" plates seem like they are at 10 yards. I run a bushing barrel and that is the way to go as the 6" bull barrel really smackes the frame on unlocking and even thought heavier by 3 ounces it has much more felt recoil. Whole thing weighs 38 ounces. I run a standard spring cap (not a blind one to make a 6" pistol take a 5" guide rod and spring) and use a 14# spring that is pre-loaded 1" less so it feels like a 12# and it cycles as fast as anything I have ever shot. It has over 20,000 rounds through it and today I was checking a west coast 180 grain bullet for accuracy and it produced several 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 25 yards. Added benefit, is that it is quieter than a 5" by far.

What I don't like is the tought of wearing it out and having to wait while it is rebuilt, thats about it. Everyone that shoots a Fat free eventually ends up with a Fat Free, even Kelly Neal :lol: KurtM

Like Kurt says, if you want to use the old to finance the new, just sell the upper. Or...build the current upper into say a steel upper and have Benny build a Fat Free on your current frame. Just a thought.

I've fired two 6" pistols. A 6" STI and a 6" Fat Free. Both were great. The lengthened sight radius is incredible, especially if you're eyes are less than perfect.

If I didn't absolutely love my Brazos 5" Pro Series, I'd DEFINITELY go with a Fat Free.

Rich

Try it and you will never go backwards to anything else.

They are built on a standard frame - weigh less than a standard dustcover 5" and cycle as fast or faster (the slide is lighter and travels the same distance in operation) than the 5".

Recoil impulse is light, quick and very easily controlled. Much quicker than the full dust cover but not "heavier" IMHO.

99842036-M.jpg

Two things I have learned that are just fact. You cant compress water and those guns work. Kurt and Merlin just about covered everthing but one point, with the 6in you can reduce your powder charge by about .3 to make the same PF.--------Larry

...Everyone that shoots a Fat free eventually ends up with a Fat Free...

First thing, they are drop dead sexy looking pistols.

As far as function, I don't know what Benny's crazy black magic formula is, but the Fat Free will run, no questions asked. Recoil (in my .40cal) is really light, and it feels like it cycles plenty fast. (I run used range brass/ 3.9gr Titegroup/ 185gr precision black bullets loaded on a dillion SDB)

The one thing I like most about the Fat Free is the 6in sight radius; it is VERY easy to accurately aim. I can quickly bang a 10inch steel plate at 40yards, like it was at 20 yards.

Benny's triggers are world class.

And did I mention that they always run?

I'm running one of the 1st Fat Free Long Slides ever built.

The only thing I can add in addition to what's already been said is that the times that I may end up pulling the trigger with a less than perfect sight picture, the shot's alot more likely to still be on target due to the longer sight radius.

To reiterate...

Benefits:

Longer sight radius ROCKS!

Great Trigger

Lighter by FAR than my EDGE

Functions 100%

Less powder to make major

Sleek & Sexy

Drawbacks:

None

BNeal :lol: KurtM

(not a blind one to make a 6" pistol take a 5" guide rod and spring) and use a 14# spring that is pre-loaded 1" less so it feels like a 12#

could explain all of what you wrote in regards to the spring cap? and how do you get in touch with Benny Hill? I've done a search for triangle Shooting Sports but his website is down.

thanks

I agree with everything that Kurt said except one thing.

I decided to get a 6 in Limited gun after I had shot Kurt's Fat Free and Rob Leatham's 6 in Springfield Armory Limited Gun. The sight radius is really what hooked me. There is one thing that I had to get used to though. When shooting a 6 inch slide, it appears (at least to me and Rob) as though the pistol is recoiling more since the front sight actually tracks higher than a 5 inch gun. The gun is not recoiling more, it just appears so. Once I got used to that (which did not take long), I was hooked.

Going to a Fat Free definitely boosted my performance. I always struggled with the accuracy part of the equation when under stress. The long slide definitely helped with that.

Oh, and they do cycle fast enough.

Buy one, NOW.

Mine is one of the newest as I have had it for less than a month. I have shot at least 2000 rounds through it with no malfunctions of any kind. The slide to frame fit is excellant feels like it has ballbearings. Longer sight raduis really helps with accuracy and I definity shoot steal better and faster than ever before That was apparrent on the first shooting session. Besure to get the stappled grips .

The gun is built light and transitions / indexes quickly; no overswing like a bull barrel full dusk cover 5 inch gun. Yet if you needed to you could add a heavy magwell or tungston guild rod but i am sure you will like the balance as is...it seems most Fat Free owners do!post-4434-1159989139.jpg

Oh almost forgot No two are the same each is one of a kind

Edited by nipplehead

That's is a pretty gun nipplehead. I am waiting for mine and it is killing me. Hopefully should be here next week.

Be sure to let us(me) know when you get yours and hopefully post a couple of pictures. :D

They all run good from the beginning no need to worry about that!!!

For what it's worth....Bennie cut a 5" slide to a FAT FREE for me on a short dust cover SV. I use a 14# recoil spring with a Schuemann bull barrel. It has become my favorite .40 and I now have 111,000+ rounds on the gun and the rifling is going. I'm hesitating on rebuilding the gun as I don't want to lose the combination but the slide is likely as well worn as the barrel.

The front sight is fast and is right back on target. I will try a sight tracker to see if it is as fast but for now I don't want to give up the 5" FAT FREE!

Mick

A27257

111000 rds is pretty spiffy. Thats good service out of a pistol. I bet a new barrel and refit by Benny will put you right back where you want to be.-------Larry

Again, Benny's Black Magic Voodoo can make that thing as tight as the day it was bought. I have seen/felt a Norico that he made tighter than any Kimber/Springer/Colt that I have ever seen.

The neat thing about the 5" FAT FREE is how easy it points and transitions on the targets. I do have an SV tungsten guide rod in it but otherwise that light feel is like pointing a well balanced single stack. Bennie put the ONLY cocking serrations just ahead of the ejection port which is easier than way up front or in the back. I've shot Carina's 6" but like the 5" better...OBTW Bennie's trigger job on the Extreme Engineering parts I had in there has lasted longer than any other TJ I have had on an STI/SV...

(I keep a log book on the guns so I know when the parts/springs are due for replacement...taxes too)

Mick

Most folks that know me realize that I don't clean my guns unless absolutely necessary or prior to a major match. With Limited Nationals rapidly approaching several weeks ago, I had (what I thought were) a couple of misfires with my Fat Free Long Slide which gave me extra incentive to knock the big chunks off it prior to heading for nationals. Turned out that even though I hadn't cleaned it in 8,000 rounds, it was still working like a charm. Turns out that the "misfires" were actually several pieces of Speer brass that hadn't let go of their old primers.

...... I hadn't cleaned it in 8,000 rounds, it was still working like a charm. .....

Now THATS what I'm talking about..!!!..I do usually clean mine about avery 5K or so whether it needs it or not.... ;)

I guess I am just Type "A" :unsure:

Interesting story about my 6inch FF: Took my mom to the gun range this afternoon for a shooting 'lesson' and so that we could get her aquainted with her new S&W Ladysmith, and the fresh pair of crimson trace grips I got for her. Got the grips sighted in, and had put some lead down range with the smith. Then had her shoot my G35, then my Sig226, and then topped off a mag in my FatFree, and told her to try and work the trigger. When we are all done, she said and I quote, "Wow, that one shoots really well, I want one of those (pointing to my Fat Free)". So reiterating what kurtm said, everyone who shoots a Fatfree ends up wanting one.

I would buy a 6" gun from Benny in a heartbeat,...that is if I felt that a 6" had an advantage over the 5" he built for me. How can it get better than zero mechanical malfunctions in 4 years?

I always kinda wanted one... but now that I've stole... ah... BORROWED :D Wakals, I guess he'll have to speak to Benny about replacing it! :ph34r:

The the thin front sight and the extra inch really does make a difference.

Bill