Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Would You Have Changed In 1976 ?

It was 30 years ago this year that IPSC was formed. The sport has changed almost beyond recognition from that exercised in 1976. Holsters, guns, rules, power factors, sights have all been changed with the passage of time.

So I got to thinking; If you could take the Time Tunnel back to 1976, what rule or principle would you have set in stone, unalterable, a commandment if you like that would change this sport for the better. I'm not looking to start arguments just an interesting exercise in futility.

tunnelcd.jpg

My contribution:

1. All guns must fit into the standard IPSC box with a magazine inserted. This would include Open guns (this would effectively replace modified), this would apply to all guns in all divisions. This would put an end to the 170mm magazines with the crazy high number of rounds. It would also keep the guns 'practical', no-one could say that an open gun is practical for everyday use but the case could me made if they were all much smaller to fit in the box.

2.Accepted calibres for IPSC will be .355 to .455, but only calibres .40 and higher can make Major. This will leave the shooter with a choice, go for higher magazine capacity but make Minor, or lower mag-capacity and make Major (similar to SingleStack rules). This make the Power Factor more important for IPSC.

1. All guns must fit into the standard IPSC box with a magazine inserted. This would include Open guns (this would effectively replace modified), this would apply to all guns in all divisions.

+1. We started with concealed carry sized guns but we lost our way some where!

We should've had three power factors (add Mouse Gun!) coz a lot of people conceal carry guns lower than 9mm like 380 and 32ACP but they are still practical. Arguments about stopping power making 9mm the lowest caliber were wrong for a sporting org.

Edited by caps

Not a thing. It is an evolutionary path that has lead us to a pretty cool game. Going back in time and making a monkey's tail shoter or its ears furrier won't make the human race better.

From my understanding of which were the founding principles of practical shooting, what happened in 1976 is that practical shooting as a training discipline in the practical use of firearms evolved into a sport.

I like it as a sport.

If I ever wish to train in the practical use of firearms, I'd turn to one of those great firearms academies (Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, LFI come to mind) and take lessons, then I'd practice on the range without a scoresheet and final standings.

I wouldn't change anything.

Edited by Skywalker

From my understanding of which were the founding principles of practical shooting, what happened in 1976 is that practical shooting as a training discipline in the practical use of firearms evolved into a sport.

I like it as a sport.

If I ever wish to train in the practical use of firearms, I'd turn to one of those great firearms academies (Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, LFI come to mind) and take lessons, then I'd practice on the range without a scoresheet and final standings.

I wouldn't change anything.

Definitely got to agree with Luca, I play this 'game' because it's a safe fun way to exercise my pistol skills and spend time with/meet like minded folks from a cross section of life. If I wanted to learn how to clear a room like a SWAT Operator then I'd be marching down another path. Change/evolution is a good thing IMO, even though most of the people in my company fear it..... :ph34r:

That said those old 7-UP cans were pretty cool.... :lol:

Britin USA

I like both of yours..

Ima45dv8

Yours is good too

Now Flex....you know all those sugary drinks make you too hyper...go get another Jolt Cola and return to your desk...

My additions...I would not have watered down the "dangerous" parts of the game...weak hand draws, WH reloads, removal of the real Cooper tunnel...and somehow have the foresight to steer away from those god awful race rigs we see now...Uhggggg....

Prohibition of optical sights...how many cops or MP's or whoever, do you see with a Cmore on their personal weapon....damn what an appendage...

I wouldn't change a thing.

No matter what rules a person put into place in 1976, the sport would be identical to what it is today or else it wouldn't exist. The changes that resulted in today's USPSA were shooter driven and what the majority of the members obviously want.

However if I was the IPSC dictator for life, I might limit the divisions to the following:

Open: No change from USPSA today

Limited: Again, no change from USPSA today

L-10: It wouldn't exist.

Production: It wouldn't exist. We'd have "Stock DA" and "Stock SA"; major and minor scoring. An approved gun list and no external machining allowed + probably no internal machining that could be observed with the slide locked back, but grip tape and multicolors would be cool. 10 round limit would still exist. Holster and mag pouch rules would be the same as Open/Limited.

Revolver: Again, no change from USPSA today

I don't understand the talk about the "good old days" that seems to come up a lot. From the pics in Front Sight, all I saw were either gunfighter syle tied down & dropped holsters or crossdraw rigs that make my Guga Ribas look downright "tactical" by comparison (it's no worse anyway).

JFD

Now we have a really nice thread going here, don't inject sarcasm into the conversation...the Old Days rigs were after '76 when IPSC was made official...no telling what they used before that time...but after that..it was leather on the belt, not dropped or offset...yes they allowed cross draw...even a sternum holster used by Tommy Campbell...so lets not get into a back and forth about the comparison of old holsters and race holsters...Bet you a nickle that more pistols have fallen from race rigs than from all real holsters... :lol::D:);)

Edited by tightloop

i wouldn't change a thing either, i like the sport. if one wants practical shooting then join idpa.

IMHO, if you keep score it is a game. I have seen some people who use USPSA & IDPA matches as practcal training, but it was obvious they are not shooting for time or trying to win.

What is practical about advancing on multiple assailants (targets) with a handgun? What is prctical about not loading your magazine to it's full capacity? Taking up a defensive position or escape and evasion are much more practical, IMHO.

My additions...I would not have watered down the "dangerous" parts of the game...weak hand draws, WH reloads, removal of the real Cooper tunnel...and somehow have the foresight to steer away from those god awful race rigs we see now...Uhggggg....

Don't forget reholstering and climbing over walls. The rules permitted you to fire, when jumping down from the wall, while still in the air. No problem for the skilled and atheletic, but lots of opportunity to screw ups.

While some challenging and fun things have gone away, safety has to be considered.

Like any compact document the original rule set has been interpreted, clarified, reorganized, revised, adapted, modified, tailored , personalized, retrofitted, added-on-to, subtracted-from and mucked with for over thirty years. The basics (shoot well, shoot fast, shoot big) are still there.

Times change, people change, technology changes. Who would have thought that you could buy an over-the-counter 1911 that equals the fit and finish and has most of the mods of a custom firearm of that day? Kydex, carbon fiber, polyester, Velcro and micro-electronics have created a whole new landscape of possibilities.

Adapt, move on, compete.

David C