Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've tried Blue Moon a couple of times. Never found I liked it.

Somehow it still seems popular. I've seen it mentioned here by a few fans.

Great name. Nice gimmick (served with an orange slice). But, I just don't recall thinking the taste was good.

Am I missing something?

It's a very drinkable american wheat beer. I'll order it if it is the only specialty on tap and I don't feel like a BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors). If you like that damn orange slice they serve with it, fine. But, you'd never see that anywhere else. I think it is tacky.

If you want a really, really good wheat beer, check out Hacker-Pschorr. You'll never go wrong with that one.

Because Blue Moon has yeast in the bottle, it is HIGHLY susceptible to bad flavors due to age and poor handling. I've had spectacular Blue Moon and Blue Moon that made Coors Light seem like a refreshing change of pace. And as long as grocers store excess beer in the back storeroom in the summer, people will continue to get nasty tasting premium beers and think that the manufacturer makes crap.

Because Blue Moon has yeast in the bottle, it is HIGHLY susceptible to bad flavors due to age and poor handling. I've had spectacular Blue Moon and Blue Moon that made Coors Light seem like a refreshing change of pace. And as long as grocers store excess beer in the back storeroom in the summer, people will continue to get nasty tasting premium beers and think that the manufacturer makes crap.

Well Hell, I just opened one!

Coors Light that is. :)

Tastes pretty good too.

I'd pour any of it down the drain to keep the pipes clean and to help the sewage treatment plant out. I don't drink anything that has an alcoholic content as it's basis for consumption. I'm not a Bible Thumper, to each is own, but I just don't need the problems that it provides(headaches, feeling stupid, DUI'd, and the list goes on).

Scott (can feel like an idiot without it) B

FWIW, I think *all* beer suffers from age/transportation/storage issues - unpasteurized beer exponentially worse than the Bud/Miller/Coors standards. I can't think of a premium beer that I haven't had a bad experience with due to one of the above. I do know that virtually all european beers are usually spectacularly better on the East Coast than the West Coast because of shipping issues. Spaten and Guiness immediately come to mind. In fact, I have never had what I would regard as a Guiness that tasted anything better than dirty dishwater west of the Mississipi. I've just totally given up on Guiness here.

Also, with the "premium" beers, the distributors don't rotate their stock like they're supposed to. So, unless what you're after sells well on it's own, its pretty easy to get an ooold brew.

I'm just a crude redneck who has never met a Bud Light I didn't love. I'm positive Bud stock dropped when I pretty much stopped drinking. I reserve my heavy drinking for special occasions now, things like after a big match when the hotel is staggering distance away.

I'll pass on anything that involves fruit. Corona to me is just horse piss. Blue Moon is worse. Imports make me gag. Like I said, I'm crude.....

If you like that damn orange slice they serve with it, fine. But, you'd never see that anywhere else. I think it is tacky.

Hefiwizens are served sometimes with orange slices. And Eric is correct in that handling of the beer is important. If you let it get to hot in shipping, it will get sorta skunky due to the lack of filtering out the yeast. "fresh" blue moon is quite flowery and very good. I have had Blue moon that almost made me gag, due to skunkyness (not the brewers fault).

Same is true of New Castle, very good beer, but if it is stored in sunlight, or anytype of UV light, it forms methane due to the clear glass, and ends up tasting like a fart. Most beer bottles have either dark green or dark brown glass to help prevent that methane production.

After shooting the NRA Action Pistol match at the local club in the morning...then busting some bird with a youth model 20g 870 (clubs guns), I went to BW3's with Moneypenny (traveling thru) and Anderson.

Wings

Beer

Cigars

Ohio State Football

I couldn't bring myself to try a Bluemoon again.

It's amazing what bad handling/storage does to even regular old Bud. The wife and I went to Beer School on the Budweiser brewery tour in St Louis a few years back, one segment of the presentation had them pouring you two Bud samples for compairson. One fresh and the other after an hour in 165 degree heat (kinda like the trunk of your car), BIG difference. Moral of their story, don't hide your beer from the wife in your trunk or the attic space.

ETA: If you're ever even near St. Louis you simply must take the tour.

Edited by Middle Man

Passed on trying it again this weekend. It's real easy to leave this stuff sit when there is a nice Killian's Red or Sam Adams available (which is nearly everywhere).

Sam Adam's has an Oktoberfest which is like a Killian's on steroids...great stuff.

And, Great Lakes beer readily available around here too.

You guys have gave me enough reason to try it again sometime, but not enough reason to buy any. There is a girl that we play some poker with that drinks the Blue Moon. I'll bum half a glass off of her someday.