Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Secure Holsters For Multi-gun, Tactical, Etc.

wsimpso1

Last week I had the experience of diving into prone position and feeling my holstered pistol come out of the holster and hit my arm. I was horrified, as was the RSO and I was DQ'd from the match. Now, I know that I can do somersaults with this gun and holster, but the gun did come out, so I am looking for more secure equipment for this most vigorous game. Two holsters that look really good are the Blackhawk Serpa series and the Safariland 6000 series.

The Serpa has the latch that you trip with the trigger finger, while the 6000 series has a shield that must be pushed down and rolled out of the way to draw. Reholstering appears to be a no brainer with both. I have not had the chance to actually use either. Please comment on the relative benefits and drawbacks of each.

Billski

I use and reccomend the Safariland 6000 series...never heard of any problems reported with them. I timed one of my friends from draw to round on target with his 6004 vs a CR speed holster he has and the time difference was consistently 0.10 to 0.20 seconds...not enough to make or break your match for 3 Gun for most shooters. The 6000 series is secure and fast.

I have some friends who use the Serpa and it seems to work fine for them, but there have been problems reported with them including debris getting into the locking mechanism preventing the pistol from being drawn.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

Safariland is the way to go. Use one at work everyday hoping fences, tacklin bad guys, etc. Never have any gun problems. I use one for my 3 gun'n as well for my G35. I highly recommend it. I have the 6004 for work but I like the 6005 for 3gun cause it easily comes on and off without having to take the whole belt off. Its nice if you dont want to wear the pistol on a non pistol stage, pending that they dont require you to wear the whole time.

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I will go with the 6280 as it is closest to the carry holsters and what I use for IDPA and USPSA.

The holster that gave up my pistol is a Kydex (I forget the brand) that has two adjustment screws with rubber bushings between the halves, and significant bulges that fit into the trigger gaurd on my 1911 pattern pistols. I can do all kinds of gymnastics without losing the pistol. At the time I lost the pistol, I was wearing a web belt with other gear above my standard belt. This is the most severe test of a holster that I do, so for this sort of game, the more serious holster sounds like a good idea for me.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Billski

i use a blade-tech holster and got DQ'd at the Tn 3 gun earlier this year cause when i got to my next shooting position, my pistol failed to join me. i havea safariland 6204 thigh rig but had just got it and didnt feel comfortable using it.

i use a blade-tech holster and got DQ'd at the Tn 3 gun earlier this year cause when i got to my next shooting position, my pistol failed to join me. i havea safariland 6204 thigh rig but had just got it and didnt feel comfortable using it.

Sorry to hear about the DQ. I also use a blade-tech DOH for my 6" limited gun and haven't had a problem with it yet.

A little OT, but does anyone know if Safariland makes a 6004 (or similar) that would fit a 6" fat free STI?

Sorry to hear about the DQ. I also use a blade-tech DOH for my 6" limited gun and haven't had a problem with it yet.

A little OT, but does anyone know if Safariland makes a 6004 (or similar) that would fit a 6" fat free STI?

My sources show they do not make any holster for any 6" gun. 5" is the longest barrel they make them for.

The Kydex holster fully covers the business end of the pistol.

What I think happened was I had a web belt with a GI mag pouch on in addition to my pants belt with the holster. It was a field expedient. I think that the web belt knocked the pistol around, but I can not be sure of it. All that the RSO said was that the gun popped out as I hit the ground.

A more secure holster is the way forward here. A 6280 still looks like the right addition to my gear rack. Thanks for the comments.

Billski

i think the biggest thing is to USE the retention of the holster tighten it down a little in 3 gun going prone and getting up we really have to be very safe with the handguns to not get sent home. and generally don't wear them if you aren't going to need them .. but that kind of goes without saying.

• 3 weeks later...

I have used the Serpa for the last two years and have been very happy with it.

Before I started shooting a Para I ran the Serpa with a Glock and it was faster than my CR Speed (by about a 10th), the pistol just had no resistance leaving the holster. Hitting the switch takes some practice, but it is very well designed from an ergonomic standpoint and your finger goes right to it...

With the Para, and your STI, you will have to modify a 1911 Serpa with the Dremel. I shoot mine in strait pistol matches as practice for 3 Gun and the Para is a bit slower than my CR Speed by about 2/10's. Great holser though, and very positive retention on reholstering.

B

I too recently switched to a SERPA after having to DQ a friend who looped his rifle sling around the butt of his G35 in a good quality kydex holster and yank it out....the SERPA was an easy transition to a hip holster but did notice a couple of the guys at Ft Benning last year using a 6004 series on a hip rather than drop leg. I'll bow to the guys that wear them professionally...a retention holster is a good idea in 3gun in my opinion... regards

Les

Will the 6004 work with a full dust cover SV?

Thanks

Yes. My SV has a full length dustcover. But, you do have to "mold" them to your blaster. I actually used the wife's hair dryer on mine (I don't own a heat gun and couldn't see buying one to mold one holster). Just heat it up really good and force your gun in and keep working the heat. I also pulled a sock over the muzzle and then put gun+sock in the holster and let it sit overnight. Next day, nice fit. I'm not sure if I did it the right way, but I like my end result.

Edited by BigDave

Dave,

I'll have to give that a go. Heck, I might have a new career molding Open pistol Kydex holsters since we don't shine boots (that much) any more and I have a heat gun (yes I shine boots with a heat gun). I like your method though with the sock. Makes sense to me. Just have to protect my C-more.

Rich