Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter spring for 45 single stack

Byron Simpson

I've been wanting to try a lighter recoil spring in a single stack 1911 for IPSC Limited 10. However the lightest spring that I can use and still get all the rounds to feed is 16#. When I move to 15# or lighter I start seeing rounds nose-dive into the feedramp. I've duplicated this on two guns, and using both RN and LSWC bullet profiles.

What are the tricks to making a gun feed reliably with these light recoil springs?

my 1911 ran flawlessly with an 11# spring. On the other hand, look at some of the (MANY!)  postings here on spring weights. The consensus is pretty much that it does not make much difference. So the solution for you may be to just stick with the 16# spring and get on with life...

--Detlef

Thanks for the replies.  My Wilson 8 round mags work pretty well with the lighter spring.  It's the CMC 10 round Powermags that don't work when filled to capacity + 1 round in the chamber for a total of 11.  If I load 8 rounds or so in the CMC mags, then they work.

Those 10 round mags are nice for Limited 10, but there seems to be more of a tendency for rounds to nose-dive.  Perhaps they need some feed-lip tuning?  Or perhaps I should stick with my 16# springs since everything runs like that.

Byron,

The long 10 round 45 mags seem to point out a less than perfect OAL and bullet style.  When working up a new load for my 45 I test the load in the 10 round mags, which I used for Lim-10, and after I have 100% reliability I go make sure it'll work in my Wilson 8 rounders, which I used for IDPA.  So far, if the load works in the 10's it always works in the 8's.  Hope this helps.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds to me like a magazine problem. Frankly I haven't been super-impressed with the CMC 10-rounders. And I've talked to people using these mags who've complained about feeding qualities, and the magazines just flat coming apart after any sort of extended use.

On a personal note, I've never cared for the folded metal follower in the CMCs. It's very prone to popping over the slide stop inside the gun; thus the mag will not fall free when you punch the mag release button; you've got to physically hold the mag button down and RIP the magazine out of the gun.

If your Wilson 8-rounders are working great (and I've certainly had the same experience there), why not get some Wilson 10-rounders as well? I've never had a problem with my Wilson 10-round .45 mags.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the tips and advice.  I read a post from George Smith from EGW on another forum that adressed nose-dive problems.  He raised the point that some .45 frames feedramps don't extend low enough in the frame.  I did some measurements and mine was on the borderline.  I lowered the feedramp in the frame by a few thousandths, and the feeding problem is gone, especially if I use a round nose bullet.  I was able to hand cycle dummy rounds no problem with a 10lb recoil spring!  I am very excited.

So, I am ordering several springs from 11lb to 14lb and some shock buffs and will get to the range and figure out which spring weight works best.

Thanks again for the advice and the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested.  I've settled on a 12.5 lb ISMI variable recoil spring and a 15 lb mainspring.  Muzzle flip is greatly diminished and I can shoot "aimed pairs" instead of "doubletaps".  

It is a night/day difference with these new springs!  Thanks to everyone for the help!

Hi Byron,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks but your post and that of others concerning light springs on singlestacks really intrigued me. Its something I really want to experiment with.  I currently have a 16.5 Wollf variable recoil spring and a Wilson (made by wolff?) 19lb mainspring. My question is, how far are the brass being tossed by the lighter springs? I currently have a hard time finding my brass as it is. The lighter springs might even make it worse. :) Thanks!

Hi Malmon...

No problems with light primer strikes.  I'm using Federal primers.  

Brass goes about 3-4'.  I did try a 10lb recoil spring in a practice session, and the brass was going way farther, so it was too light.  

Springs weights are only part of the equation, along with the load you are using and how the gun feeds, etc..  These worked for me, but YMMV.

Also, be careful with your trigger pull with lighter mainsprings.  Mine went from 3lbs to 2 1/4lbs, but is holding fine.  

I am using a 14 lbs wolff variable.  I haven't tried anything lighter and the only sraight weight spring I've used was the 18lbs. spring that came with the gun.  I just bought a 16 15 and 14 and shot a match and week of practice with each and found I liked the 14 the best.  I think some one sugested I souldn't try to go much lower.