Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lighter spring for 45 single stack

Byron Simpson

I just tried the ISMI 12.5# recoil spring with a 15# mainspring.  I am using 200gr swc making 165 PF.  I can feel the slide hit the (2)  .090 red buffs.  Is this normal?  Are you guys sure this is not beating up my gun?  Not that i doubt you but just making sure.  Thanks  Charles

Running a 12.5 pound recoil spring with a 15 pound mainspring seems way light to me with Major pf .45 loads. I'm running a Wolff 15 pound variable power recoil spring and 17 pound mainspring in my .45. The way to tell if your spring set-up is battering the gun, in my opinion anyway, is to watch your shok buff. (I run a single Wilson blue buff BTW.) You'll find there's a particular recoil spring weight at which your shok buff with last 1,000 rounds plus. Drop the weight down one more pound and it gets beaten to death in just a few hundred rounds. Bump the weight back up one pound to the last one that worked and you've found your spring weight.

Just my prejudice, but if your .45 is ever going to do double duty as a defense gun I'd stay away from the 15 pound mainspring. I can live with the 17 pounder, but the 15 just makes hammer falls TOO light - in my opinion.

charles,

I'm running a 12.5# ISMI recoil spring w/a 17# hammer spring, 220 grain bullets @ 170 PF, framer saver guide rod with 1 blue Wilson buff and have about 2200 rounds on my current buffs and they still look fine...I can feel the gun cycle pretty well when I have a real locked in grip and am aware (this is whether I'm using a 12.5# spring, an 18# or anything in between).  

Whether your set-up is beating your gun is a quesion only you can answer because every gun is a little different, but if you don't like the feel of the 12.5# try something heavier.

Bill

Hey Bill, Are you shooting 40 cal.?????If so what kind of brand of bullets are u using ????Precisions????I have some 220's laying around. May play with it and see if I wold like it.

Thanks