Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blade Tech Doh

Trey1975

Well I had a well typed out question prepared and my CPU went haywire so I will try again. Here is the short version. I heard alot of good stuff about the DOH so I went and got one.I have it on a sturdy gun belt with their tek lock device holding it on. I dont see what all the hype is about. I have to have the tension adjustment set to the lowest setting possible to even get the gun out. If I have the slightest ammount of tension on the gun when I attempt to draw the bottom of the holster cants out driving the grip into my side thus making a very awkward if not impossible draw. Anone else experience this? I like the DOH idea and If you have absolutly no tension on the gun.. it works just fine. My wife wants one but she does not feel comfortable using it with no retention. Any ideas on other production legal holsters for women. Shes not looking for a level 3 or anything like that but it would be nice to be able to take a little hop and not have your gun come flying out. So am I doing something wrong or is the DOH really a POS?

p.s I am using it for a Glock 34 if that matters. I have talked to at least one person who had the same problem with his STI DOH combo.

Thanks in Advance

A-55522

Trey

FWIW, I have 4 Blade Tech DOH holsters and I've had several others. I use them with Eagles, Edges, my open gun a G34 and a G17 without any problem. 2 have TecLok's and 2 (much older holsters) have the offset hanger. My daughter uses the offset with her G34 for tactical and 3 Gun. I use purple LocTite on the tension threads and leave them relatively loose but secure enough that the gun stays in the holster when I have to go prome or crawl under obsticals. I'd suggest using it for a while, it will loosen up

Yea I am going to stick with it for a while longer. I really like the way it rides.It just seems weird that under half tension that the the bottom of the holster swings out causing the grip to hit your side.I have used the lock tite on the screws as you suggested and that keeps them in there.What if someone was wanting some more retention though. Mine wont have it and as I said I do have it on a sturdy gun belt.seems as if you should be able to draw it under the tighest tension just the same as the lower setting.Thanks for the info and I am going to stick with it for now :)

FWIW, I have 4 Blade Tech DOH holsters and I've had several others. I use them with Eagles, Edges, my open gun a G34 and a G17 without any problem. 2 have TecLok's and 2 (much older holsters) have the offset hanger. My daughter uses the offset with her G34 for tactical and 3 Gun. I use purple LocTite on the tension threads and leave them relatively loose but secure enough that the gun stays in the holster when I have to go prome or crawl under obsticals. I'd suggest using it for a while, it will loosen up

Wish I could answer your question but I've been waiting months for my Bladetech DOH holster.

I've decided that I will probably just sell it when (if?) it ever comes.

I'm not happy with this company at all. Uncle Mikes has been doing real good for me with some slight modifications. :)

I haven't experienced the twisting issue you are describing, do you have this on a stiff belt like a Safariland or CR speed, or something else? I run medium tension, won't fall out if I turned upside down, but the gun pops right out when I draw.

Also, there are several places that carry the DOH for both Glocks, and STIs, 1911s, in stock..... ordering from Blade-tech is the slowest way to go. Although I guess now they are making and shipping certain "core" products much faters, maybe 2-3 weeks, if they are ordered from the "core" products that they list. Regular shipments take 8 weeks or so, but at least that is disclosed on their website up front.

Try: www.speedshooter.com or www.pistolgear.com

Usually have them in stock, and ready to ship.

Edited by sfinney

Mine all work great, even on a leather belt, with a good draw stroke.

Draw the gun straight up and it won't flop around for me, draw the gun any other way and it will flop. I run mine with a LOT of tension on them.

Also, there are several places that carry the DOH for both Glocks, and STIs, 1911s, in stock..... ordering from Blade-tech is the slowest way to go. Although I guess now they are making and shipping certain "core" products much faters, maybe 2-3 weeks, if they are ordered from the "core" products that they list. Regular shipments take 8 weeks or so, but at least that is disclosed on their website up front.

Try: www.speedshooter.com or www.pistolgear.com

Usually have them in stock, and ready to ship.

I ordered it from one of their distributors, not direct. I was told by them that they could get one from Bladetech in two weeks. :rolleyes:

One thing I have to ask is weather you have used kydex holsters before? They require a bit of a snap to release but with the correct draw it should release fast and clean. It may also take a bit to break in. What belt are you using, they work best with VERY stiff belts like the CR Speeds. Because it hangs lower and it pivots below the belt, unlike standard belt holsters which pivot right AT the belt, without a stiff belt you may get some of the torque you mentioned until you get used to the correct draw for it.

One thing I have to ask is weather you have used kydex holsters before? They require a bit of a snap to release but with the correct draw it should release fast and clean.

This is only true of kydex holsters that lock into the trigger gaurd for retention. Mine (kytac) uses tension on the sides of the frame (and slide) only so there is no jerk required to release the pistol. It draws smoothly fast or slow.

I ordered mine direct. Waited two weeks. Won't be using a different holster for my XD. The drop and offset design is it's strong point. It's used for L10 and Production. Covers everything I want covered. Ordered mine with the 1-1/2" belt attachment. Not the Tek Lok. It's safe, stays adjusted and faster than I'll ever be. Under $70.00 delivered.

Very high value. IMHO

Edited by JimmyM

Well I had a well typed out question prepared and my CPU went haywire so I will try again. Here is the short version. I heard alot of good stuff about the DOH so I went and got one.I have it on a sturdy gun belt with their tek lock device holding it on. I dont see what all the hype is about. I have to have the tension adjustment set to the lowest setting possible to even get the gun out. If I have the slightest ammount of tension on the gun when I attempt to draw the bottom of the holster cants out driving the grip into my side thus making a very awkward if not impossible draw. Anone else experience this? I like the DOH idea and If you have absolutly no tension on the gun.. it works just fine. My wife wants one but she does not feel comfortable using it with no retention. Any ideas on other production legal holsters for women. Shes not looking for a level 3 or anything like that but it would be nice to be able to take a little hop and not have your gun come flying out. So am I doing something wrong or is the DOH really a POS?

p.s I am using it for a Glock 34 if that matters. I have talked to at least one person who had the same problem with his STI DOH combo.

Thanks in Advance

A-55522

Trey

Trey,

You are not alone. Please permit me to share my thoughts on this issue...

I have experienced the same canting issue with my newest DOH (Glock 35). Strangely, my older DOH (1911) does not have this problem. There are significant differences in the two holsters I own, and I believe that these differences are causing the "cant/holster grab" issue for me. YMMV obviously. The differences are:

1. Retention bumps in the trigger guard: on the new DOH these are huge and deep, on the old style they are very slight. I am going to try to reduce the depth of the retention bumps on my new-style DOH; will require heat gun or boiling water.

2. Belt hanger: old style is molded-in, tight to holster body; it grabs the belt firmly right behind the holster body, using two 3/4" wide strips of kydex about an inch apart. The new style is wide "Stingray" appliance attached with screws. The Stingray attachment grabs the belt at two points much farther away from the centerline of the holster, magnifying whatever flex exists in the belt. I am going to try a CR speed belt on mine to see if it helps. In the meantime, tightening my belt seems to help minimize any canting/grabbing.

I actually like my older-style DOH much more than the new one. Also considering replacing the new DOH with a CR Speed, but my cheapness (I am a cheap ba$+ard) is holding me back.

Best of luck Trey!

Kindest Regards,

big_kahuna

It seems to depend on the holster.

For my baby eagle, the full range of adjustment from no tension to locked in real good was a VERY small range of screw tightening. A little puple locktite helped a lot just by simply making it easier to turn the screw a very small ammount.

For my M&P 40, the number of screw turns from no tension to locked in was much better, and getting it adjusted to make me happy took about a minute. at the outside. The M&P 40 holster was newer by about 3 months.

They definitely work better on a CR-speed belt.

Is the the Kydex DOH or the injected molded DOH. The kydex is a much thicker heavier design than the injected molded version.

I have had used one for Production, single stack and L10 with zero probelms

Thanks for all the input! I do have it on a sturdy belt though I dont know the manufacturer.I suppose it could be a little thicker.I am going to look into a CR rig as some of you suggested.I believe my holster is the Kydex model.I bought it used so Im not exactly sure. As I said my draws are fine as long as I dont have any tension on the gun so I think I will try another belt and stick with it for now.I must admit I really like a Ky-Tac that I had a chance to see.

I have 2 DOH's. One for my SS and one for Production. I also use the CR Speed with both. I haven't experienced what you are talking about with either one. You may want to contact Bladetech if it continues or if you can't work the issue out.

This is a pretty common complaint with people using belts that aren't stiff enough. On a leather belt or some other "gun" belts they will rotate up and away. I find this happens alot with my regular belts. Through it on a CR Speed and the problem goes completely away.

CMZNEB, before you give up on Blade Tech you might want to look at the company you're ordering it from first. What kind of gun are you looking for it to fit. There are a bunch of vendors that have several of the common varieties in stock. Ghostholster, link listed above, even has several listed.

Ditto the CR Speed belt recommendation. It's the best ipsc belt by far.

Rather than use the holster with no tension, you might try spraying the inside of the holster with silicone spray. $3 a can at the auto-parts store. You'll get a much more consistent pull with very low friction and running more tension on the knob.

Works great on mag pouches too. If you shoot at ranges with blowing dust & dirt, again, you'll keep a nice consistent pull if after the match, you clean out the holster & pouches with a damp rag, dry them off & spray with silicone again.

PS - forgot to say, that's a job for out in the garage. If you're married, you knew that already...

Edited by eric nielsen