Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walk Through

gunner40sw

Someone else will be able to quote the specific rule, I don't have my book infront of me. It basically says you can't use any type of sighting device during a walkthrough. "Any type" covers anything you can hold in your hand so a plastic gun is definitely out.

Are you allowed to use the plastic training guns that are blue or red during a walk through.?

Not in IPSC/USPSA. Rule 8.7.4

8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the

whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real

firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their

own hands, while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of

a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per

occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

Carl

Edited by Carl

Plastic training guns with C-more sights attached are part of the reason that if you are loading your mags during walk-through, you now get dinged.

THink about it this way...

You are downrange, doing your walk-through, you turn around and there is a guy, pointing a Glock at you!, Oh right it;s blue and that makes it OK,

Your first impression is a gun is being pointed at you!! Your reaction?

I think I know mine.

So as a result of incidents like this, by idiots like that, we now have to be carefull loading a mag lest we get a penalty.

Jim

Hi,

Once I saw a guy doing the walhthrough with a magazine in his hands (it didn`t make sense for me but he liked it). He couldn'tt do it since the rules say "except for their own hands".

Am I right?

You are right. the last Rulebook prohibits it.

Carl

Plastic training guns with C-more sights attached are part of the reason that if you are loading your mags during walk-through, you now get dinged.

OK that's news to me. Where in the rules is that at?

8.7.4 Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the

whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real

firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their

own hands, while conducting their inspection (“walkthrough”) of

a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per

occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

I guess there could be a debate about "accessory" but the "except for their own hands" thing pretty well rules out anything! It would be really easy to put a mag in front of your face unintentionally and get called on it. Besides, why do you want to bring along distractions on a walk-through?

Edited by ChuckS

Amidon's said that loading mags on the walkthrough is ok, but loading them in front of your face while walking through is not. FWIW.

Rumor has it people were starting to do walkthroughs with Airsofts, which understandably irritated anybody viewing it from a distance and the wrong end, ruining it for everybody.

Just a little history; The first time I saw a sighting aid was at Bisley during World Shoot X in 1993. Aimpoint had created a transparent business card type thing with the outline of an Aimpoint scope with a red dot in the middle of it. I guess it was to show people what they saw when they looked through the scope.

They were giving these out by the dozen at the match and some competitors were walking through the course of fire holding them up to simulate the sight-picture.

If memory serves the RO's soon put a stop to it even though there was no rule about it at the time.

You can perform your walk-through or stage inspection with anything in your hands, as long as you don't use whatever you are carrying as a "sighting aid", that is, look over it at the targets. (As long as it's not your gun, obviously)

You can load magazines, eat a sandwich, carry a cigar or a water bottle, etc. It's not an "empty hands" rule, it prevents use of sighting aids.

Troy

Edited by mactiger

You can load magazines, eat a sandwich, carry a cigar or a water bottle, etc. It's not an "empty hands" rule, it prevents use of sighting aids.

I cought myself at A8 lifting my 1/2 of a sandwich up while walking through the stage. If you eat the sandwhich can you get dinged if there is in fact no longer a sighting aid? :lol::lol:

I was using a bandana to wipe sweat off my face at Area 5 last week. I was last on the previous stage and first on this one so I was a bit rushed. During my walkthrough, the RO asked if my bandana was a sighting aid! There is was, in my support hand, as I was taking a sight picture through a barrel. I guess if he wanted to be a hard ass, he could of called me on it instead of a warning. I do not mean to drift the thread into what comprisies a sighting aid, I just want to point out that it is just too easy to forget and bring up a hand with something in it. Again, why would you want to bring a distraction along during the walk through?

Edited by ChuckS

The first time I saw a sighting aid was ashooter who had made a wooden gun, painted yellow, with a scope mounted on the top.

The real question became "where's the line?" What about a wooden gun painted black with a scope on the top? What about an AirSoft replica with the barel plugged solid rendering it inert?

I've seen shooters that had painted (marker pen) at rear sight to the right of the thumb knuckle on their right-hand, and a front sight post the left-hand thumb nail.

Holding the hands in a shooting stance with the left-hand thumb instead of the pistol grip in the right-hand, gives you a "sight picture" if you dont stick the thumb up to high :lol:

Edited by RogerT

I've seen shooters that had painted (marker pen) at rear sight to the right of the thumb knuckle on their right-hand, and a front sight post the left-hand thumb nail.

Holding the hands in a shooting stance with the left-hand thumb instead of the pistol grip in the right-hand, gives you a "sight picture" if you dont stick the thumb up to high :lol:

That is hillarious, and you just gave me an idea for my first tattoo! :lol: