Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sprinco guide rod

grassy knoll

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#%$! I just explained this again in the reloading forum. There are other threads out there on the subject. OK, quick answer... my experience is they work some of the time. I liked their recoil reduction properties, other people dislike the feel it gives the gun. One caused 1-in-300 jams in my first gun. My second gun almost wouldn't run at all with that same Sprinco from the first gun, nor with a tungsten Sprinco.

But don't just take my word for it, buy either of mine, stainless and tungsten, and find out for yourself.  Forum member Nolan gave me the tungsten one when it caused his new gun not to run; I'll donate the purchase price to our local charity match.

knoll,

the SprinCo caused nothing but trouble in my Para, plus I didn't like the gun felt after installation. It felt like the forces acting on me were now very uneven in time. I experienced an extremely unusual amount of part breakages when it was in, and they went away when I took it out. It might not have been fitted correctly (I just dropped it in), but I decided the end the trial after a few weeks.

For what it's worth...

--Detlef

I had one in my gun for several years (Limited) with thousands of rounds through it. Never had any problems with mine and didn't have any malfunctions with it. It was the tungsten rod. The recoil was a little softer, but inconsistent.

With the normal tungsten rod, the felt recoil is a little stiffer, but not by much. The recoil and tracking is much more consistent and that is what I am looking for.

Great.. finally a good review of the spring-co.... been waitin for this, wanna buy mine? comp model.. used  very little... cheap... if not I have it in my will to burry me with this thing cuz I cant get rid of this SOB.  Rick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

A friend of mine who is sponsored by Sprinco let me try one out.  He told me that Sprinco had corrected earlier problems with the system.  So far, it has worked flawlessly.  It is defintely a weird feel at first, but easy to get used to.  What I did notice is that my groups tightened up, especially on fast shots.  My friend has been expreimenting with lighter springs on the system - i.e 8, 10, and 12lbs.  He sent me those 3 weights and I tried them.  The 8 and 10 didn't seem to function as well with a full-sized Edge slide.  The 12 works great.  One thing I did notice when installing and testing the system is that a full length spring would bind under recoil and contact recoil plug.  I could really feel it when firing.  I took 2 coils off and everything feels great.  So far, so good....

Jack

I have been experimenting with both the STI-Recoil Master, the Springco, and a normal guide rod with funky spring combinations.

I think the Springco second spring seems too heavy and operates over too short a stroke to be the best solution.  The STI-RM seems to be sprung too light, and there is concern over the unit's reliability from other threads.

Try this -- Use two normal springs of different weights to create your own custom spring with a variable rate... possibly better than both the Springco and STI-RM for far less cost and without the reliability risk.  You put the closed ends of each spring together somewhere in the middle of the guiderod.  I polish the inside of the closed ends of each spring to slide better, and file a slight "flat" on each end where they touch.  You can try infinite combinations to develop a custom solution that has a softer battery side and a heavier recoil side than is currently being  produced.  I think it has real potential, but I am not done test firing with the first combination in my Limited gun with 10/14 lb rates split  60/40.  Could use some experimental feedback from fellow Enos adventurers.

Since the topic was brought up, and at the risk of having another forum closed down because of the topic and my position with Sprinco, I will try to clear things up a bit.

The Sprinco guiderod should be a drop in part, in alot of cases it is not, and the head can use some fitting in order to ride inside the slide rails with no bind.

Recoil springs are another matter, if not fitted to length correctly, then the spring will bind regardless of what guiderod you select.

The subspring can be tuned to a particular load, we offer from the factory, Open (light) Limited (medium) and Cor-Bon (heavy) systems in order to work between most common loads.  Lots of variables will cause a sluggish feel, tight slide to rail fit with to heavy a subspring is but one of them.  To light or a recoil spring and to heavy a subspring is another.

The actual premise is indisputable, you can run a lighter spring in the gun (if it is fitted correctly) without having to worry about damage to the gun from recoil.  The effect you will get is a gun that comes out of battery easier, and goes back into battery easier (reducing dip).

At most major matches we offer a tuning service so long as a test fire bay is available and can help identify potential problems.  

While we have had serious quality control problems in the past, improperly sized parts, off center cuts, poor machining and the like, those problems are history.  A few old systems are still out there.  The former boss stole almost a half million dollars in cash, parts and product, traded, swapped, and gave away tons of product that was not up to standard and there is not a record of to whom the bad stuff all went to.

The new boss has worked hard to swap out bad product with new stuff, and to find all of the old stuff that sits on shelves somewhere, but there is only so much he can do.  A quick phone call to Sprinco and Alan will replace faulty product without a problem.

It takes a little bit of time, and some experimenting to get a system just right in your gun.  But it is time well spent IMHO.  I am always ready to answer questions as best I can on the phone, or at a match, and help to set things up correctly.  As a drop in part they are not for everybody or every gun, but when set up right the evidence is clear.

FYI - Jim advised me on how to properly set-up my Sprinco.  As I said in my earlier post, I have been very pleased with it.  I have also switched to a 10# spring.  My initial tests were done in cold weather.  I think the Slide Glide on my pistol got thick with the cold and slowed my slide down giving me the mushy feeling I described.  To correct the problem, Brian advised me to cut the slide glide with oil.  Everything is working fine, now.  I practiced yesterday and was really pleased at how fast the sight is returning to the target for the second shot.  Another benefit (that I think I am seeing/feeling)is that now, when I am firing two quick shots on a target, I am not gripping the gun as tight as I was in the past (I have been known to grip my gun so tight that when I tried to release a mag, I was crushing the grip and the mag would not fall free).  I think it is because I am learning that since the muzzle is not rizing as much in recoil, I do not have to tense-up as much in order to hold the muzzle on the target for two quick shots.  Again, this could be imagined, but my hits are improving.

BTW, a friend who just ordered a new Edge said that he was told it would be arriving with a RecoilMaster and a 10# spring installed.  So, I guess people are starting to realize the benefits of this idea or set-up.  

Later,

Jack

(Edited by Jack Suber at 10:57 am on Jan. 17, 2003)

I really like my SpringCo.  I bought a "Recoil Master" from STI and I didn't like it in the least.  I've had no problems with my SpringCo and it seems to be better a little better than the factory tungsten rod my Edge came with, the secondary string stops the "bang" when the slide reaches the end of it's rearward travel.  So if anything, it's a good insurance policy to prevent a cracked slide  There is no magical cure for recoil other than practice.  Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I second everything that Jim said. I was skeptical as many friends had broke their rods and complained of how the gun felt. However, last year, I dropped one into my Open gun (which was already ultra fast) and immediately felt the gun cycling even faster. The feel was a little weird at first, but I think that was more acknowledging how fast I was getting back on target.

After tuning my recoil spring and the Sprinco secondary spring I can tell you that the gun runs so sweet now it's a true pleasure to shoot.

I was given a Recoil Master to test, and quickly destroyed it in about 600 rounds.

The Sprinco's I have are well crafted, superbly machined parts. Alan stands behind everything that he sells and will be more than happy to walk you through some of the spring setups. Too, Jim will be more than happy to assist, if you see him at a match.

Just my two Lincoln's.

Rich

uscbigdawg,

I am glad you brought this thread back tothe top.

I had written of the Springco. But, after re-reading this thread, I see that there was some issues with the old owner that might be history now.

Maybe it's time we heard from a new group of shooters...with the lastest version of the Springco?

I have both "old" and "new" SpringCo at Stately Wakal Manor. There is just no comparison between the new one and the old one....the new one is a beautiful exhibition of machine work.

The old one is a leftover from a batch of three...one of them broke, a friend has (and loves) the second, and the third is new in the wrapper. I didn't like the way the first one felt (before it broke) and so never bothered to fit the third.

Alan sent me the new one a few months back (a real pleasure to deal with, too). I think I'll drop it in my Open gun and see if the new one feels better than the old one.

Alex

Just try it & compare to your standard rod if you're curious. Some guys love them.

My impression of Recoil Masters and Sprincos is that they go BOOIIINNNGGG in your hand. Slide just never seems to go back forward.

Kinda like that commercial where a bunch of cross-country guys think they're sprinting for the winner's tape, but it's a giant rubber band... ;)

dvc - eric - a28026

• 2 weeks later...

I have THE springco customer service story for anyone looking to buy one. It did happen a couple of years ago thoguh, and I am willing to forgive and forget.

As for me personally, I shoot better now with a straight guide rod. Same thing other folks are saying; the gun recoils cleaner and more consistently without the gadgets.

All that being said, Jim Shannahan is a straight shooter, stands behind the products he carries, and Springco seems to have an improved product available for those wanting to try it.

Let's not let this thread degrade into a yelling contest, instead let's stick to facts. I am wondering why in the world you went on with a SpringCo for such a long time since it obviously didn't help but harm you?!? And I believe they have changed ownership and product quality since then, didn't they? Btw. I violently agree with your very last sentence!

--Detlef

• 3 months later...

Been a while since this topic was addressed so I thought I would add my two cents once again.

This years SHOT was phenominal for Sprinco. The product line as seen a 100% turn around in quality, now not only is the guiderod serviceable it also doubles as a mirror its so finely polished.

Several Grandmasters have once again made the switch back to Sprinco and with great results, most notably would be Eric Grauffel.

Some are still resistant to change, and one told me that he "likes the feel of the RM so well he is willing to risk it breaking". Not my idea of the way to play the game but he shoots better than me so who am I to say.

Production quantity is back up and I should have product in hand all season.

In most cases the system is a drop in part, like any other guiderod, however using the same spring you typically shoot with a standard guiderod will result in the clunky double impluse some shooters complain about.

Its a simple matter really, Sprinco offers a 60 day money back guarantee. You don't like it you send it back, all youre out is shipping costs. Takes a little time to fine tune with the recoil spring, but the results are worth it. If you don't understand recoil and its cause and effects then all you have to do is call me and I can help fix it.

$75.00 ... shoot better, flatter and faster with the gun I paid 3 grand for.... seems like a no brainer to me. :huh:

Just for the record I Love :wub: my Sprinco in my L10 gun with a 10 Lb. recoil spring. The gun recoils MUCH softer and my splits improved dramatically.

I need to order one for my Limited gun and my open gun. I'll be calling soon Jim or Alan!!! :D

Hey, I can't answer for any trouble other people might have had with Springco or their products. I would be willing to offer my experience -

I put a Springco in my P14-45 about 3 years ago. No expert advice, not the newer improved versions. Played with the spring rates for a little while (I can run a slightly lighter spring with the Springco) and ran with it. I put over 100,000 rounds through that pistol with absolutely no problems (except some reloading difficulties when I changed bullets). In fact, that pistol is now the "night-stand" pistol because it is so reliable. Besides all of that, I LIKE the feel of the Springco. Smoother and softer than without.

Sorry you all had problems with it. I don't think it's because of basic problems with the products.

J. Kelly McCoy

A42081

p.s. I'm still pissed about losing my custom designation! Despite the "Looks for Target" designation I am still "THE PROFESSOR"!

The biggest problem I had with the SpringCo was consistency w/ recoil. I talked with Alan at SHOT, and they have apparently been improved. They sure looked great!

The breakage problem with the RM has apparently been resolved by "beafing up" the faulty part. I got my new one after my old one broke (after 20,000 rounds), and I could see a definite difference. I'll use the new one until it breaks, hopefully not for a while! The good part is that the gun still works when it's broken. Hell I didn't even notice until I took my gun apart. I usually only clean every few thousand rounds, so I'm sure I shot the GA State Championship with it broken!

Honestly, it's a matter of personal preferance, perception, and comfort. I couldn't tell a difference b/t the RM and my old tungsten guide rod, but the RM made the gun lighter. When I really noticed a difference was when I put the tungsten back in.

If I could just remember to grip the gun!

Phil

Let's see... I can drop 75 smackers for a goofy recoil rod that makes my gun run funny, OR buy 5 years worth of ISMI recoil springs and shock buffs and get a gun that drops the sight back into the notch like a swiss watch.

Do I get to keep the Ginsu knives after my Springco takes a crap?