Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge Nationals

shred

At the SC there were a lot of flyers for the "US National" Steel Challenge to be held in Florida in June (the CA SC being the "World Championships"). Derek of Millennium Custom is organizing it, so now you East Coast shooters will have the chance to play as well. I'll post the URL when I find the flyer.

I talked to Derek at the awards on Sunday. He said he was putting together a team to really start working on the match as soon as he got back from CA. Being sanctioned by the Steel Challenge should help in getting good sponsorship. He said he already has commitments from JJ, Phil, Todd and I think the AMU to participate.

I only hope that USPSA match organizers look at the date when it is finalized so matches in the area don't overlap. It would be disappointing for an effort on any match organizers part to suffer due to a lack of communication.

I talked to Derek at the awards on Sunday. He said he was putting together a team to really start working on the match as soon as he got back from CA. Being sanctioned by the Steel Challenge should help in getting good sponsorship. He said he already has commitments from JJ, Phil, Todd and I think the AMU to participate.

I only hope that USPSA match organizers look at the date when it is finalized so matches in the area don't overlap. It would be disappointing for an effort on any match organizers part to suffer due to a lack of communication.

Ask him to look out for the IRC also, held in CA the 3rd weekend in June, 15th - 17th and then

of course there's the Old Bridge Speed on Steel which I think is held on the 8th & 9th of June (JJ's home club)

... and the Sportsmans Team Challenge, and area matches.. everybody holds matches in June.

Derek did say they eventually wanted to take advantage of the early-season Florida weather and hold the match in the early spring, but then you might lose some of the people that are looking for a Steel Challenge warmup, and it'll be hell getting it ready by next March.

... and the Sportsmans Team Challenge, and area matches.. everybody holds matches in June.

Derek did say they eventually wanted to take advantage of the early-season Florida weather and hold the match in the early spring, but then you might lose some of the people that are looking for a Steel Challenge warmup, and it'll be hell getting it ready by next March.

What about mid-May ??

What about mid-May ??

When STC used to be the Chevy Truck team challenge = it was held in Florida a winter (escape) match , held in Aprill some of the northern guys could get a worm week away.

Scheduling is a bitch, it harder for me that spelling

Don't forget about Bianchi Cup

What about mid-May ??

It would be cool if this thread were about the match, or maybe even people offering to help out. Instead of everyone telling the people doing all the work when or when not to spend their free time to host a match.

It would be cool if this thread were about the match, or maybe even people offering to help out. Instead of everyone telling the people doing all the work when or when not to spend their free time to host a match.

:D What fun would that be????

Okay, I tentatively volunteer to shoot and work the match subject to date finalization. :)

:D What fun would that be????

Okay, I tentatively volunteer to shoot and work the match subject to date finalization. :)

+1 for me, if the date is ok :P

Edited by AlamoShooter

I think that's part of what we were doing, it would be kinda dumb to hold a big match the

same weekend as another big established match :blink:

If someone asks for help, I'm sure you'll get it, but folks are already planning their 2007

schedules so might be best to know what pool of shooters you'll be trying to draw away from.

Just my opinion.

I am workin on talkin Kevin on going to the match..

Hey we cant make all of them.. He and I went to the SC in Calif for our fist time..

He did well --I didn't ...But I did come in right behind Todd Jarrett on the .22 mach look it up. He He ..

But I want to go to more to get ready for the SC next year.

Being so far out of Fla. we can't help much but we do understand the need for help.

So a very good chance He and I can make the match in June.

Leroy

isn't the weather like humid as all get out in florida in june?

sounds like a great idea to do ... i say they will get a ton of east coast shooters who can't/won't just hop a plane to CA.

Well yes it is. Do you know of anyplace East of the Mississippi that isn't? ;)

isn't the weather like humid as all get out in florida in june?

sounds like a great idea to do ... i say they will get a ton of east coast shooters who can't/won't just hop a plane to CA.

I honeymooned in Orlando in mid May (way back in the 80's)and was amazed at how

humid it was then, course being a northener it probabaly felt much worse.

I feel for the folks trying to set this up, it would be great to have such a major deal on the east

coast and in a gun friendly (I think) state, trouble is, as many have stated, June is a busy

month for shooters. Can't keep everybody happy though.

I think it's great they are having this match. I'm not over-joyed to see it in June.

I've always been jealous of the Florida shooters ability to hold matches during the down months for a lot of the rest of the country.

In 2005, we held the Ohio match in June. We had four Area matches as bookends. Two on the weekend before and two on the weekend after.

Do what you gotta do though.

welll yes everything east of the miss is pretty humid.. but heat + humidity can cause lots of problems.. more than sweaty hands. the humidity prevents the body from cooling as fast, so more sweat!!!

I'd b e happy to see the match in any weather i was just thinking humm floriday they have major opportunities to have matches in any month where there isn't 3 or 4 other huge matches happenign at the same time.

Derek did say he wanted to hold it earlier, but getting everything together in time would be tough. So all you East Coasters that don't like humidity need to be bopping down there this winter with a couple plates under each arm..