Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Other States Building Huge Ranges?

hear about this place being built in southern illinois.

http://dnr.state.il.us/Worldshooting/home.htm

thought the place was an old strip mining operation. the coal company sold it to IL state and they've turned it into a big shooting range. the grand ammerican trappshoooting match is supposed to be there this summer. it got moved outof vandalia, OH cause the airport encroachment. 3,000 shooters busting clay birds. should be a good economic boost to the area.

any other states are doing this sort of thing?

What an absolute waste in a state like Illinois.

The gun laws there are about as bad as anywhere in the country - gun owners cards, sign for ammo, total idiocy.

It's too bad that a range is being built in that state. It's a waste.

On the positive side:

There is a nice privately owned range being built in Tulsa - Nationals will be there this fall.

Edited by Viggen

The Grand American was held and due to the state laws in Illinois you could not travel up and down the line in your golf cart with an exposed shotgun. It was required to be in a case at all times. Absolute stupidity.

Why did the ATA move the Grand American from a relatively gun-friendly area like Vandalia, Ohio to a hell hole like IL?

BTW, someone in Kerrville, TX (near San Antonio) is supposed to be building a huge range that's geared more towards ISSF stuff, but I don't know anymore details.

Hey persona non gratta,

I was just there yesterday (the World Shooting Complex) to watch/video the IL state CAS championship.

That was the first time I have ever been to a CAS match. What a very friendly group of people.

Give me a couple of days, and vids of the match should be on google video.

I think the current governor, Rod Blagovech (sp?), did in fact sign a new bill into law allowing out of state people to purchase ammo inside IL, regardless if it is for hunting or the Grand American. BTW, I plan on going to that too, but just as a spectator and to admire some of the Beretta's and Perazzi's in the vendor booth area. Read that as $$$$$$!

On a side note, since my current gun club is tied up in developer/eminent domain issues, I thought it would be a great idea to have IPSC and IDPA matches down there.

If you go to that website you listed above, click on the gallery and it'll show you aerial pics of the place. They have 12 bays "cut in".

Put that little tid bit of info together with the fact that IDPA said in their Tactical Journal magazine that they were looking for a new location for Nat's in 2007 and beyond, I got to thinking.

So I started calling the IL DNR last fall. The rep I was talking too said that they would try to arrange a meeting with Bill Wilson, et al, at the SHOT show. The IL DNR was very interested/excited in anything I had to say.

I don't know if that meeting ever did take place. In the meantime, the IL DNR seemed very hot and heavy about me trying to set up monthly IPSC/IDPA/3-gun comps down there. I got passed off to another rep, who told me to go down there and tour the facility.

I was really impressed by it. Just look at the aerial pics on the website.

I called the rep back and left a voicemail saying that we were really impressed with the facility.

About a week and half to two weeks later the guy calls me back and says that because IPSC and IDPA bullets travel a lot faster, that those competitions would have to wait untill baffles are built. The earliest that will happen will be 2007.

I don't want to burn any bridges here, but I am really at a loss. I got my hopes up, as well as the hopes of several other Southern Illinois Pistoleros, and the IL DNR seemed very excited to work with us, and then they change their minds.

I can only speculate.....mmmm......errr......

I guess I should be glad that they told me that so early on. It could have been worse, I guess. I could have plunked down some serious change to get incorporated, get insurance, buy targets, both paper and steel, and make barricades/props.

Over the past 4 days down there, they had 331 CAS competitors. Heck, I think that was more competitors than IDPA Nat's last year. Regardless, though having 200 + IDPA'ers come to the Sparta, IL area every year about the same time sure would be a boost for that locale.

Edited by Chills1994

Yet, the Single Stack Classic is held in Illinois every year.

Pasa park, isn't it?

Welcome to the P.R.I. (the People's Republic of Illinois).

Not to get too political or ideological here, but I think IL and Wisconsin are like the last two states not to have a provision for CCW.

Read my tag line.

Any other Southern Illinoisians interested in starting our own state?

Chilie, PM sent

i think there is something fishey going on in the works for that WSC, especially since it is in such an anti-gun state as illinois.

mmn....move the single stack classic out of illinis and move the steel challenge out of california.

we all have to buy stuff when we're at big comps like those, hotel room, meals, gas,

why should our tax money go their way to become more anti-gun?

sorry...hope this ain't getting too politcal.

Yes stop the Illinois funding, stop buying Winchester ammo, LMT guns ( they supply the end user on several US military guns), Armalite, Les Baer, Rock River Arms, Springfield Armory, Kreb's, DSA, Heinie, Killhopher sp, Ogelsby, Zanders, Williams Shooters Supply, Pistol Gear, Canyon Creek, Vit powder......................................

Rich

BTW the Range the Grand American was held at in Vandalia Ohio was taken over by airport encroachment making it necessary to move the venue.

Its been on the airport all along. I think Vandalia wanted to keep it but since the airport is owned by Liberal Dayton( yea weird since Dayton is 2 towns and 10 miles south) there was no interest in those bad guns and such. Dayton has its own gun laws like handgun permit cards and the like. :wacko:

I am sure land costs around here made it impossible to purchase a new range. I'll keep an eye out but I don't see any new stuff being built at the airport. Couldn't be a runway since its right on Vandalia's main drag, the shooters shot with their backs to the road and toward the closed runways/open areas. Probably very valuable land though, even with the shot!

It was a great financial boon for the area and shooters since there are a hundred resturants and hotels within 5-10 miles. Too bad they let it go

Edited by BSeevers

Yes stop the Illinois funding, stop buying Winchester ammo, LMT guns ( they supply the end user on several US military guns), Armalite, Les Baer, Rock River Arms, Springfield Armory, Kreb's, DSA, Heinie, Killhopher sp, Ogelsby, Zanders, Williams Shooters Supply, Pistol Gear, Canyon Creek, Vit powder......................................

Rich

Why do all these firearms manufacturers base their businesses in anti-gun states? Surely the tax benefits of IL and MA (I can't imagine there are any) can't be equal to or better than just about anywhere in the South.

Rich

Why do all these firearms manufacturers base their businesses in anti-gun states? Surely the tax benefits of IL and MA (I can't imagine there are any) can't be equal to or better than just about anywhere in the South.

Gee ----- maybe it's because some of those businesses have been around longer than anti-gun legislation? Heinie's has been around since 1973; Les Baer is celebrating its 25th anniversary....

It was between Sparta and LasVegas for the ATA to relocate to. I guess Illinois had more to offer.

Chicago and the collar counties are anti-gun, the rest of the state is pro-gun. Uninformed people would rather bash Illinois than actually find out the truth. Once someones mind is set there is no way to change it. So before you start your boycott on Illinois you better sell off all of what you own from Illinois. You don't want to be called a hypocrite or do ya.

Speaking to the wind,

Rich

The reason Illinois was picked is simply due to the distribution of votes within the ATA system. It is very heavily biased toward the eastern states. I am willing to bet that you will never see the Grand American held west of the Mississippi.

On the issue of being pro gun or not. It really doesn't matter how much or how little of the state is pro or con. Only that the overall legal atmosphere is harmful to those who choose to practice their 2nd ammendment rights or participate in the shooting sports.

'kay, chiillie dawg, since you asked.

an acquantance used to live in Great Britain, so he relayed this story to me. it'll sound conspiracy theorye like, but please reed on. the Brit said that's how the gun grabbing started over there. they built nice big ranges overthere for the public to shoot at. then they passed a law that they couldn't discharge a firearm anywhere else but at these ranges. when the Brit went to shoot, they kept track of what he was shooting, what caliber, pistol, rifle shotugn etc. then the gov't passed a law saying that you better have it documented that you had a secure safe inside your house to keep your guns and ammo locked up in. but then that wasn't good enough so a a law was passed saying you had to store guns at this new uber-range. and then the rest as we all aknow is history. those guns got cut up and melted back down into who knows what pieces of crap steel productrs, instead of the nicely machined mechanical works of art they used to be.

i',m just a s aying that you all shouldn't get so excited over the state building a new range for you illinoisians and the trap shooters. ya know, there are no free lunches. pardon me, if that sounded to much like a conspiracy thoery here.