Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Izzit Global Warming Yet...?!

SiG Lady

I hear ya! New record highs and low here also. I don't know the official temp for today yet, but one of the bank time/temp was at 107. And it is supposed to get hot and be hot until the end of next week. I think that it is time to pack things up and head for the high hills of Montana and jump in a nice cold river.

I've been out in it looking at cars. The temp in some of them was close to 130 according to the temp thing in the instrument cluster. My car registered 127 yesterday. It was so hot--(how hot was it?)--that the ice didn't leave a puddle. :D In fact it was so hot that some time the ice melted before it hit the ground. :o

The highest outdoor temp I've ever experienced was 115 and 117 (two consecutive days) in Marin County, CA just north of San Francisco one summer in the mid-1970s. We were so messed up from it we just sat under a tree drinking water for two days straight. We could barely breathe... let alone do any work.

I've been here over 13 years and never seen it 105 degrees here until today. God. :unsure::o

When's the heat wave gonna be done?? It's been several days now of near-100 or over-100 stuff. This truly suxx. :ph34r::angry:

We hit 110 both saturday and Sunday. The really bad thing was no overnight cooling... never dropped below 80 all night. Got up Sunday and it was like 95 at about 10AM. Was still 90 at 11PM that night........

I spent a couple days in Orlando last week. After that, 100 degrees in the shade seemed downright pleasant.

BTW, assuming that we have 300 years of accurately recorded weather data and taking the accepted value for estimaes of the age of the earth as 4.5 billion years, our subset of data is 0.0000067% of the earth's history. Given the itsy, bitsy sample set we're working with, it's hardly surprising that we're constantly recording new "record" values.

Given the itsy, bitsy sample set we're working with, it's hardly surprising that we're constantly recording new "record" values.

But, certainly its enough to assume we're entirely at fault for it, right???? ;)

I've always wondered about the so-called "500 year flood plain" for that reason, too... heh heh...

It was a solid 109 both Saturday and Sunday where I live (a few miles from berkin closer to the water). Man was it nice seeing the fog in the bay this morning and the lovely 65 degrees (it's been near 80 the last 2 mornings) around 6:30a. It's only supposed to be in the high 90's where I'm at today but I hear inland Sacramento is looking to break it's record of triple digit temps for 9 days straight (8 days and counting) soon.

Vince

Given the itsy, bitsy sample set we're working with, it's hardly surprising that we're constantly recording new "record" values.

But, certainly its enough to assume we're entirely at fault for it, right???? ;)

For the recent trend? It seems to me that there's a great deal of consensus that 20/21 century temperature changes are related to human activities.

Was it hotter/colder/dryer/wetter/etc 1.4 billions years ago, or will there be another ice-age, or...sure. Why not?

But the scope of *my* concern remains not only within the Holocene, but indeed, just the next 50 years, or so. <grin>

I'm concerned, but not worried. I'm *worried* that in ~20 months of shooting IPSC, I've already seen two local matches fold up, and go away.

All I know is that in the business of science - and that's what it is these days when competing for government grant money - is that apocalypse science sells. Government bureaucrats will throw all kinds of bread at you if you've got the cure for the end of all things. :P

I vote that global warming discussions get added to the no-no list. They always decay into unpleasentness.

Vlad... you're no fun.... :D But you're probably right....

Actually, I just noticed that this was really a Hate thread... sorry for inciting anything that might look like rebuttal :)

If you look at the record highs and lows for Sacramento area, most of the highs were set in the 1920's. Most of the lows were in the 1930's. So if it is global warming, shouldn't the highs be constant rising?

The *average* temperature -- in the Western US, especially -- IS rising. It's like the stock market.

Here, look for yourself:

http://www.epa.gov/ncea/ROEIndicators/pdfs...ATION_FINAL.pdf

I'm not some weird global warming alarmist, and Vlad is probably right: this topic skirts delicately close to politics and ugliness. But it doesn't strike me as a huge stretch to believe that mankind has been responsible for some climate changes over the last 100 years. <shrug>

At it's root, uglyness is caused by fear. That's why some topics are so controversial. We fear the implications of the subject we are discussing.

Yes it's hot. :lol: The morning of Feb 18th 2006 it was -36F when I got out of bed at 04:00. Firewood split like glass that morning. The truck seat felt like a wooden bench. I thougt it was pretty neat. I didn't hear anything about GW all that week.

It's 101F right now in this little slice of paradise west. (Wyoming) I'm strapping on my 40lb SpecOps pack, grabbing my HBAR and going for a hike. The ITRC is only 3 weeks away and I gotta be ready! Besides, if I get exhausted enough I might experience a "magical moment".

Yeah, the world may burn to a crisp someday. But then we would all be dead, so it wouldn't really matter. B)

Anyway, winter is right around the corner. So, I'm off to get wasted by the heat whileI still have some.

who has the best fish tacos in San Diego

The best fish tacos I ever had in San Diego were actually leftovers we still had from our lunch in San Felipe, Mexico (where REAL fish/shrimp tacos come from) ;-)

Those Rubio's (and all the lookalike) ones are to a real Baja fish taco, what a BigMac is to a REAL hamburger. Not comparable!

Hey!! What do you have against Unicorns!! I feel offended!! I was just about to tell you about the angles of breachfaces, but not now!

i is sory butt y'all done assemblerated dat dere yooounikern with da dadgum rong hern angel

All I know is that I would kill for a Baja Fresh in Spokane right about now. Give me a Dos Manos, fresh hot salsa, and a par Dos Equis or give me heat exhaustion!