Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Trigger Reset-do You Ride It?

dfwmiket

I know there are several different schools of thought on how to properly shoot a Glock with Glock trigger, so wanted to hear thoughts and 'who does what'? Do you slap the trigger? Do you full release and re-engage, or do you ride the reset and shoot that way? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Mike

I do some of all 3 depending on how far away the target is, the type of shot (is it an A zone only between 2 no shoots) or is it the 2nd target in an array shot while stationary. Mostly it is squeeze & ride the reset but for close up run & gun it is slap. I can't walk & chew gum at the same time either.

I am no great hand with a Glock, but I shoot them just like I shoot a double action revolver. Stroke it through, release fully with finger completely off the trigger, and stroke through for the next shot. Splits on close targets will get down in the mid to upper 20's with good hits. I see and shoot with guys that can get down in the .15 range using Glocks, but I can't do it.

My triggers are all 5 pound connectors and factory springs, lightly polished. I don't think anything lighter would make me any faster......

I know there are several different schools of thought on how to properly shoot a Glock with Glock trigger, so wanted to hear thoughts and 'who does what'? Do you slap the trigger? Do you full release and re-engage, or do you ride the reset and shoot that way? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Mike

Ride the reset - definitely. With a little practice, you can "train your finger" to let the striker reset under recoil, with a lighter, cleaner pull for follow-up shots...faster close up, more accurate at distance. YMMV...

Ride the reset baby! Same for anything semi-auto with a trigger ;-)

I am sure I slap the trigger on occasion when I am trying to hose CQ stuff, but with the Glock, it is very important to remove as much monkey motion as possible when pulling the trigger.

+1 on what George said. Ride the reset, the less movement of the trigger finger the better off your shots are going to be. I might slap the trigger by accident every once in awhile but everything I shoot I ride it till reset and then start pulling back again. It is alot of wasted motion to slap it, especially with the Glock since it naturally has so much slack in the front half of the trigger.

Edited by jbullgpd

I ride the reset. I use 5# connnectors in order to get a shorter reset as compared to a 3.5# connector.

I know Sevigeny rides the reset and preps the trigger because I did some trainng with him.

That doesn't mean it's right for you though. Practice, compare and make up your own mind.

I took some videos of myself yesterday during practice, and I noticed my finger moves the full travel of the trigger. Looks like I'm shooting a revolver! :rolleyes:

I have used the 'ride-the-reset' style of Glock shooting before, but mostly only while shooting plates, or distant clusters of paper. Never one single target, and certainly never on close stuff.

Might try changing that in the next week or two.

I wish I could say I reset everytime but I really don't know. When the timer beeps the only things I'm aware of is the front sight and the next target. Unless it's a loooong target (25 -35m), then I'm not worried about time and I'm careful to reset.

The downside to riding the trigger is the inadvertant double tap. It's happened to me a few times. Not just with a Glock. If I'm shooting a virginia count stage and have an unwanted double, I can loose points. Comstock, it's not that big of a deal. Trigger reset is important, it just takes practice.

In the Glock course they have quite a few drills to work on trigger reset. If you're shooting your Glock like a revolver, slow down your shooting and listen for the reset on every shot. Do this for several magazines before trying to pick up the speed. If you have a shooting partner, they can watch your finger while you shoot and give you feed back (while shooting faster).

After you've listened for the reset for a while, try the "Five in the Sky". Get the 5th shot off before the first brass hits the gound. No cheating and canting the pistol to the side. The target is close, at around 5 meters, but the goal isn't shot group just speed. This drill helped me get a decent time on the "Can you Count" classifier.

Like others have stated, it depends on the distance and dificulty of the shot. Distant steel tends to get the full trigger pull, as well as the first target in a new shooting position. Up close and personal targets are short stroked.

A pin in the trigger housing.

I've posted this before, the secret to the Glock trigger is the striker spring. I use a OEM less 7 coils. BUT I lighten the OEM striker, 2lb trigger and 100% reliability. My carry ammo uses CCI primers.;)

My trigger jobs cost $13.50, the cost of a 3.5 Scherer connector.

Edited by the duck of death

I use a set screw over a pin, and then epoxy it in place once it is set correctly. Same effect though.

Started out using Wolff reduced power springs, but I've gone to stock springs with coils cut. I machine a lot of weight off my strikers, and do a couple other little tweaks. In the end I think it costs me less than 5 dollars, since I use 5# connectors for the nicer reset. All I use is a wolff trigger spring vs a stock.

Mike

On the factory trigger, I used the ride the reset. Then one day I got a Vanek trigger...found that with the ride-the-reset one runs the risk of shooting when one doesn't necessarily mean to shoot...so I learned to slap the trigger.

Now that I'm back in a more stock configuration, I am still more comfortable using the slap the trigger method.

• 5 years later...

A pin in the trigger housing.

I've posted this before, the secret to the Glock trigger is the striker spring. I use a OEM less 7 coils. BUT I lighten the OEM striker, 2lb trigger and 100% reliability. My carry ammo uses CCI primers.;)

My trigger jobs cost $13.50, the cost of a 3.5 Scherer connector.