Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Gold Team In 38 Super

coolsf

I guess the V12 porting kinda eats the velocity up pretty quick

It is major around 168 PF ....... The one I have is V8 ported .......... The V12 is the 07 model .

I just got off the phone from EAA they have none in stock and will not receive any until Oct. 2006

DOOOHH

Is that the 07 V12 they will not have available untill October?

They have nothing in stock. No v8s or 12. The lady I talked to didn't even know there was a v12 model.

Edited by IYAOYAS

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a chance to buy a lightly used Tangfolio single action in .38 Super for a really good price. EAA sells a comped barrel kit for this gun for $265. By the time I got a scope mount and the other stuff I would need I would still end up with an open gun for less than $1000. Is it worth trying this, or would I be better off just going with a Witness Gold Team (if I can find one) for $1400? I don't know what kind of problems I might have, and apparently the Gold Team works out of the box. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody know of a dealer who has one in stock new or used?

dmd45 ,try this guy, David King

Eaagunner@cox.net

Thanks,I will give him a shout.I was going to build a 9mm open gun for steel but this gun seems very good for this right out of the box.Does anybody know if the 9mm version shoots minor loads without changing anything other than possibly the recoil spring?

I havve a stock model and a limited model i love them both. The Elite series of guns are hard to duplicate as they are all hand fit by the factory and checked over by a gunsmith before they leave EAA. But if your comfortable working on guns go ahead and build your own, i think you could make an awesome steel gun that way.

as for 9mm's their mags have spacers in the front I know mine will run 17 reliably in 9mm some nose dives when i load 18.

I plan to get an open gun to play with this winter. the folks at EAA have been excellent to deal with, extremely helpful.

Howdy all,

I've got a line on a lightly used Gold Team 38 super.

I was talking to a machinist in a shop that does sheet metel as well as other stuff. I asked if he could weld two mags together using the welding equipment in the shop. The end result of the long conversation was that it wouldn't be that hard to design and cut out 170mm magazine blanks with either a laser or water jet and make forming dies out of either aluminium for a very short run or steel and make a bunch of mags.

If he can make reliable 170's, how much would anyone be willing to pay and how many do ya'll think he would need to make?

Anybody know of a dealer who has one in stock new or used?

dmd45 ,try this guy, David King

Eaagunner@cox.net

Thanks,I will give him a shout.I was going to build a 9mm open gun for steel but this gun seems very good for this right out of the box.Does anybody know if the 9mm version shoots minor loads without changing anything other than possibly the recoil spring?

I shoot minor and major with my V8.

• 4 weeks later...

Tanfoglio is actually making long magazines, and if you send a mail to Henning at www.henningshootguns.com (me@henningshootsguns.com) he'll either sell you one, or point out where to get one for you. I have the best results with the 170mm tube, a modified original basepad, and the 170mm spring/followerkit from SPS. This is 29 rounds of .38supercomp, or 27 if you stick with the original follower/spring which is very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I just want everyone to know that I have had this Witness Gold Team in 9mm for almost half a year now. I really love this gun. It is the flattest shooting open gun I have owned. It is on the heavy side, maybe that is why it shoots flatter? Not sure? I am very happy with it including the price. Cant beat the $1400 price vs. $3000 on SV/STI. Henning is a great source of info. The guy is great. Loves to Shoot tried it and you know his comments.....

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the text of an e-mail I got from Mr. Wallgren.

The Witness Open class gun shoots amazingly flat

compared to a 1911. View my match report from the Open Nationals and

you'll see it for yourself from the stages we shot. You can compare JJ's,

Max's and Chris' guns to my EAA Open gun. All I can say is that I'm

very

happy with how it performs.

My advice would be to get the 38 super over the 9mm and go for the

rimless cases over regular 38 super. The main reason for this is that I

like the straight case over the cone 9mm. This comes more into play when

you are getting into the 170mm hicap mags. With a 38 super rimless case

you can fit 28-29 rounds whereas the 9mm or the regular 38 super will

typically be one round less because of it's case shape. The gun is also

extremely well suited for a rimless case. It makes it 100% reliable in

feeding. You'll never have any problems with the magazines. I've used

the same springs in my mags for 5-6 years and they still work as if they

were new. Before 1995 I was shooting 9mm and it's a little more

sensitive to getting the cases sized correctly. Either way, for big

important matches I always use new brass. My powder recommendation is

IMR 7625 and a 124-125 grain bullet. Use small pistol primers.

170mm magazines are in the works and will hopefully be available soon.

Regular length magazines are available from EAA and holds 18 + 1. With

some modification of the follower you can get 19 or 20 rounds + 1 in

them - using rimless cases. Armscor or Starline makes great 38 super

rimless cases. The absolute best shooting and accurate bullet is the

Hornady 121gr HAP, but for USPSA/IPSC application I recommend 124 Round

Nose bullets since they will ensure 100% feeding.

Hope this was helpful. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate

to email me again.

At the function fire range at Tulsa I was holding headbox shots standing at 40 yards with 124grn Montana Gold CMJs. The gun is scary accurate.

The flat-shooting is a combination of the weight and the slide dynamics. The slide is much lighter than even a lightened 1911 slide, plus it sits much lower above your hand. It's the impact of that lump of metal that most effects muzzle-flip, the lighter and lower it sits the less flip.

I use the thumb rest as well and the gun hardly seems to move.

Tanfoglio is actually making long magazines, and if you send a mail to Henning at www.henningshootguns.com (me@henningshootsguns.com) he'll either sell you one, or point out where to get one for you. I have the best results with the 170mm tube, a modified original basepad, and the 170mm spring/followerkit from SPS. This is 29 rounds of .38supercomp, or 27 if you stick with the original follower/spring which is very reliable.

PM sent to you about the 170mm mags.

This is thread is amazing - it is "deja vus all over again". I competed for several years with a Springfield Armory P9 years ago in 9x21 - I love that pistol. Everyone dropped the CZ/TZ/EAA/P9 Open Guns to get STI/SVIs. I guess retro really is back in style. I need to pull the P9 out of the safe.