Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Maj To 38 Super?

Jack Suber

A friend has offered me a 9mm Maj Open gun for my son to shoot in Open (he has been shooting Limited so far but everyone has told me kids pick up Open a lot quicker). Anyway, I really don't want to mess with 9mm Maj, especially not for my son. The owner of the pistol told me that the barrel can be reamed to Super with no prob. I have been doing some research and noticed that the 9mm major is a 9X19 cartridge, which is actually a tapered cartridge. The Super is a straight-walled cartridge that, according to load books, appears to be several thousandths of an inch smaller than the 9X19 at the base. So, my initial thoughts are that reaming the 9 Major barrel to Super would not work. It would appear that the brass would buldge considerably? I would also wonder about making major PF consistently and consistent functioning. Any thoughts/guidance?

I don't want to have a gun with functioning issues - I want my son to be able to concentrate on shooting. Is my only option to have another barrel put on? The current barrel is one of the one piece comp/barrel setups.

Excuse my ignorance but I have only shot Limited. Open is a new language for me.

Edited by Jack Suber

My shooting buddy Larry told me he did this once and it was really rough on the brass. If it's the trubor barrel I think I just saw speed shooters had them on sell. Have one in super fitted then you have the best of both worlds.

Jack,

Not to be a fly in the ointment but if the gun you are looking functions and runs now your worries about 9 major are really unfounded. Personally I had hesitation over going with a 9 (new shooter, first time shooting open, fearmongering rumors etc.) but I have found it to be not a problem at all. Not too mention none of that brass chicken action going on.

Either way good luck, Craig

Edited by smokshwn

Not to be a fly in the ointment but if the gun you are looking functions and runs now your worries about 9 major are really unfounded.

+1 There are plenty of safe loads for the 9major. It shouldn't be a concern.

I guess one benefit is that I do have a Case Pro and dies for 38 Super.

I don't know, I am still a little leary of the 9Maj. I'll have to think about that. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack-

Since you seem to be determined to get the gun anyway ... and it is already in 9mm Major ... It wouldn't hurt to shoot it first for a while as it is ... before you take the five minutes it takes to ream it up to .38 Super/Comp. Nothing like finding first hand instead of hearsay.

I have a feeling that some of your local good buddies would be glad to accomodate you with some loaded 9mm Major before you spend the "big" bucks for another set of dies.

waitaminit, back up. What is it that is chambered for 9Major? If it is an S_I then you can go to Super. If it is a 9mm/40 framed EAA/whatever, you can't. Ditto no-go for a Glock 9mmMajor to Super.

If it is an S_I it would be the cost of a barrel and fitting (not much, in Open gun terms) to change it over.

The suggestion of 9X23 is better than Super in a ereamed-out chamber, but if you're set up to load Super, then not much of a choice when it comes time to reload.

Another variable in the equation: learning to load 9Major will cost; dies, time, experience.

A friend has offered me a 9mm Maj Open gun for my son to shoot in Open (he has been shooting Limited so far but everyone has told me kids pick up Open a lot quicker). Anyway, I really don't want to mess with 9mm Maj, especially not for my son. The owner of the pistol told me that the barrel can be reamed to Super with no prob. I have been doing some research and noticed that the 9mm major is a 9X19 cartridge, which is actually a tapered cartridge. The Super is a straight-walled cartridge that, according to load books, appears to be several thousandths of an inch smaller than the 9X19 at the base. So, my initial thoughts are that reaming the 9 Major barrel to Super would not work. It would appear that the brass would buldge considerably? I would also wonder about making major PF consistently and consistent functioning. Any thoughts/guidance?

I don't want to have a gun with functioning issues - I want my son to be able to concentrate on shooting. Is my only option to have another barrel put on? The current barrel is one of the one piece comp/barrel setups.

Excuse my ignorance but I have only shot Limited. Open is a new language for me.

I have a just built 9mm Minor OPEN Glock that would be great for your son- cheap to shoot and cheap to buy---built by a professional. I PM'd you

Pat,

I have to respectively disagree over the "cost" of learning to load 9mm to major.

I was a relatively new pistol reloader (had years of shotgun experience) and all it took was a little research here on the forum, talk to the smith who built my gun for a load, and chrono and document. Nothing more than the work/cost it would take to load any other caliber/load to personalize it for a gun.

I have nothing personal at stake whether Jack goes 9, super, 9x23 or anything else for that matter. But I do feel it is important to not buy into much of the unfounded "hype" that seems to surround 9mm at major pf.

A friend has offered me a 9mm Maj Open gun for my son to shoot in Open ... So, my initial thoughts are that reaming the 9 Major barrel to Super would not work...

IF the slide has a true 9mm breechface, could be a problem...?

Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I didn't mean to start a big contreversy. However, I must say that the idea of 9 Major makes me nervous. We have several shooters at our local matches that are using 9 Major and when I examine their brass, it is scary. The case-heads have been oblitherated, primers look melted etc. Now I might consider it for myself, but I don't think it would be a good idea for my 12 year old son. If anything were to go wrong, I am worried it would really freak him out. So, I think I am going to go to Super. I will try reaming the barrel and if that does not seem to work well, I will go with a new barrel. Thanks for the feedback.

Jack,

If the gun is for your 12 yr. old son, why not just let him shoot 9mm MINOR for a while. You could even load hot 9's, but short of major to slowly break him into the world of major. Wallmart 9mm ammo is very cheap.

Mike

If the gun is for your 12 yr. old son, why not just let him shoot 9mm MINOR for a while. You could even load hot 9's, but short of major to slowly break him into the world of major. Wallmart 9mm ammo is very cheap.

Funny thing is that most comp guns are going to shoot softer and flip less on Major ammo. And, if we're talking about Blazer or WWB, they won't appear to be much louder (if any) shooting Major, either.... ;)

Jack,

Mike

I'd second this suggestion. Let him shoot 9mm MINOR for now. Plus, he'll have the incentive to focus a little more on accuracy which is a very good thing for someone starting out.

It's easier to have an accurate-but-slow shooter turn the speed up later than it is for a speedy-but-inaccurate shooter to slow down a little for more accurate hits.

9mm major....Another $.02 opinion.... Shot .38 Super/Super Comp. for a number of years (14+).... Switched to 9mm major. You have gotten LOTS of advise But the Best so far was let your son START with the 9mm MINOR loads. I always come home with lots more once fired brass than I started with... LOTS of the slower powders work fine , buy the "long" firing pin, SV mags and enjoy.... DIFFINATLY stay away from "fast" powders (I've had a case seperation with IMR 7625). I've still got my old P-9 guns from years ago and used them to work up major loads.... you might consider a Re-Coil master or Sprinco type guide rod.... will save some wear and tear on the gun. I don't think your fears are warranted? BUT too each their own???? If it were my son, He would be shooting 9mm of some sort, especially if you have some "steel" matchs in your area, can't beat 9mm for steel.

Edited by mike NM

9mm is wider at the base than the super, 9x23 would be the thing to use if you did ream it.

I agree with XRE, 9mm factory ammo flips more in my gun than major ammo and is only slightly quieter

Get the gun, some dies 9mm 124 grain bullets and a ton of HS6 and be done...9mm major, cheap rimless brass that doesnt need to be picked up(though its good for 5x firings with HS6 in my gun after 5x, the primer pockets begin to loosen)

Harmon

Funny thing is that most comp guns are going to shoot softer and flip less on Major ammo. And, if we're talking about Blazer or WWB, they won't appear to be much louder (if any) shooting Major, either.... ;)

Factory 9 WWB is wimpy compared to 9-major. I tried it about two hours ago. Less noise, far softer, slower flip. Load down some and it's like a .22. There's a reason steel loads aren't major PF.

Factory 9 WWB is wimpy compared to 9-major. I tried it about two hours ago. Less noise, far softer, slower flip. Load down some and it's like a .22. There's a reason steel loads aren't major PF.

Depnds on which gun... WWB is fairly harsh in AustinMike's gun - his Major loads move faster and have maybe a tad more recoil, but WWB is almost as loud and they flip just as much or more than the Major loads (using HS-6)... Mike could give us his thoughts when he gets back, but...

HI !

I won't let my son to load 9 mm Major loads so options what I have left is very clear to me.

I wuold buy a 38 super comp barrel.

I would save 9 mm barrel to because it is already installed and it works so it is good backup barrel anyway. But the mainreason why I like to save the 9 mm barrel is I already have it if my mind changes and I can use it for steel and I don't need to pick up my brasses. You can use cheap ammos when ever you want if you don't have time or oppertunity to load or you are too lazy to load sametimes. The next 2-3 years goes really fast and 9 mm major can be big thing then and you son is quite big then also. Later on your son may ask for 9 mm major for some reason so you already have it.

Well think about it and shoot 9mm minor before you are sure what you both want.

Best luck for both of you! :D

In my Bedell shorty, the wwb loads are much softer and quieter, not to mention reduced blast, which I believe is the most intimidating thing to new shooters. I guess every gun is different, but minor 9mm are very close to .22 lr, at least in my gun.

Mike

If you can score some 9mm minor ammo cheap, have him shoot that for a while, to get used ot the trigger, and handling, etc. As for reloading 9Major, there is a leanring curve when switching to any cartridge. You could have years of experience with one cartridge, and still find you have learning to do with another.

I'm not picking on 9Major when I say that. I had been loading for a couple of decades, with a dozen calibers loaded in volume, and when I started loading 9mm regular. It took some fussing and head scratching toget it right.