Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's A Good "trick Of The Day"

mscott

If you have a good "trick of the day" how about sharing it for some of us newer guys. I've seen where guys have put some paint inside the magwell to focus on re-loads, so I might have to try that. What else can I add to all the things I need focus on during a match?

Ok read the post about " saving gas" = the thing is they say they save 10% on mailage with this gaget. More than likely they save gas not becase of the gizmoe = they save gass becase they are driving better, and thinking about how they drive.

Put a pice of tape on the back of your hand and say ' this pice of tape will help me shoot mostly As, in fact say it three times. = PrestO -changeO you will have more As on the next run.

<_< Let me know what color of tape works best

Jamie B)

The trick of tricks-of-the-day is that you yourself have to believe they're helping you. Otherwise it wouldn't be trick. Sometimes it's parts, sometimes it's grip, sometimes it's body position like "keep your chin up". Borrowing somebody else's isn't always a good idea.

The point isn't so much that the trick helps you, though it should, but that it keeps your conscious brain focusing on one thing and thus not screwing up your subconscious that really knows what to do.

For newer shooters, if you aren't at the level of your subconscious doing the shooting, then tricks of the day won't help much yet.

If you have a good "trick of the day" how about sharing it for some of us newer guys. I've seen where guys have put some paint inside the magwell to focus on re-loads, so I might have to try that. What else can I add to all the things I need focus on during a match?

I have found that to get a nice smooth pull on the trigger you can smack your trigger finger with moderate force - just enough to form a small blood blister under the fingernail - and it will really make you conscious of your squeeze and smooth it out . :P

I have found that to get a nice smooth pull on the trigger you can smack your trigger finger with moderate force - just enough to form a small blood blister under the fingernail - and it will really make you conscious of your squeeze and smooth it out . :P

Another good one to smooth out the trigger is to test a skillet to see if it is hot enough to fry dinner with your trigger finger. Be sure to do the test slowly and with deliberation, don't jerk the trigger finger. :o

OK, get some practice and match time in, and when you are stuck in development, then change something. For me, changing ammo, or shooting a different gun helps. But this is not something that works until you know how to shoot A's and to dope stages. It isn't a beginner's trick IMO.

I don't think it matters what the trick of the day is. There's a reason they call it a "trick" - mostly because it has nothing to do with the task at hand.

The prime example is in the movie "tin cup" when Cheech tells Costner to do all kinds of crazy stuff then swing the club - all the crazy stuff tied up Costner's brain allowing him to do exactly what he needed to do - which was just swing the club.

I'd think the best suggestion was the tape on the back of the hand. My suggestion is to come up with anything you can think of, maybe it's "applying more pressure with your left pinky finger" - because in the end I doubt that applying that "additional" pressure will do squat but the reality is it will allow your brain and body to do the one thing it inherently knows how to do - and that is just shoot.

BW

I believe the poster was looking for past tricks of the day for the rest of us have been.

Go to a plate rack with your game gun, get it so you can clear it with six shots then pickup a 22 of similar design/grip angle/trigger and watch yourself flinch and anticipate recoil.

Some posters just don't seem to remember when they were just starting out. Smart-a** answers may turn a newbie away from this forum. Not a good thing. :angry:

Chuck

Just in case I'm guilty here Chuck don't get :angry: . The point Merlin made and that I seconded is to imagine the trigger finger is very sensitive/painfull and must be pressed very carefully and gently. Of course, if you like, you can just think of it as a Smart-a** answer and ignore it.

Welcome to the forums!

:)

post-2898-1152705086.jpg As I said - just a little is enough..

Jesus... You answer someones question.. You give away a priceless trick and people join the frigging Forum just to chew your ass out....

It may not work for you, it may not be something you even want to try ...but.... :rolleyes:

To me, trick of the day doesn't mean something that helps me shooting for that day.

I think that the trick of the day is something that changes your perspective on what you're doing that day; this way you see it in a different light, get different (and possibly more) sensations on it, and usually end up focusing more on it than you did before, because you're experiencing it differently than you used to.

It's called trick of the day because it changes very frequently, and the particular trick is not something that works for everybody the same way: it's just something that pulls you out of your habit, giving a fresher look at what you're doing.

Some posters just don't seem to remember when they were just starting out. Smart-a** answers may turn a newbie away from this forum. Not a good thing. :angry:

Chuck

Just in case I'm guilty here Chuck don't get :angry: . The point Merlin made and that I seconded is to imagine the trigger finger is very sensitive/painfull and must be pressed very carefully and gently. Of course, if you like, you can just think of it as a Smart-a** answer and ignore it.

Welcome to the forums!

:)

Manny Brag said Frank used to cut his fingers so he could feel the trigger...

Chuck

Hey :o the Tape may sound screwy - but don't knock it utill you try it. Color will not realy mater but a pice 4" long aplied from thumb to wrist or wrist to center finger? any combination. :blink: you could write Azone on the tape and that could even help :blink: .

Crazy yep... but it may be crazy like a fox as far as 'Trick of the Day'

:D I may even make make some Clint Easwood wrist straps out of tap and use them in the next match :D just to prove me as a Crarzy/ Smart-A** self

Edited by AlamoShooter

A video camera is my best "trick". ;) My suggestion is to use it often in your training. I used it this past week in my dry fire practice. I video taped my dry fire and I found several things I wanted to change.

Great Idea! Is it posted in the Gallery???? :)

post-2898-1152705086.jpg As I said - just a little is enough..

Jesus... You answer someones question.. You give away a priceless trick and people join the frigging Forum just to chew your ass out....

It may not work for you, it may not be something you even want to try ...but.... :rolleyes:

Or sandpaper your trigger finger. Same deal - more sensitivity, more awareness, and whether it's important in and of itself or just a distraction is beside the point. (also, less pain ;) )

Edited by kevin c

• 2 weeks later...
A video camera is my best "trick". ;) My suggestion is to use it often in your training. I used it this past week in my dry fire practice. I video taped my dry fire and I found several things I wanted to change.

Hmmmm, I don't think this qualifies as a "trick" per se. It might though if there is a psychological effect on the person that makes them shoot better. BUT! It's Awesome to do for feedback! I recorded my local match last Saturday, and saw at least a dozen things I didn't realize I did until I watched the video. I failed to re-adjust my mags in between strings on the classifier, and it cost me at least half a second. I never even realized until I saw it on video. Foot placement and step cadence..... grip errors, and the ever present "Oh crap" reaction/pause while shooting one of the white targets. Stuff like that. Things to work on to get hits up and times down.

I also video the really good shooters to compare what they did to what I did. I realized I need to focus on my index more when shooting the 40. I got complacent, but realized this by reviewing the video.

I won't even start about my reloads recently :blink: