Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harley Davidson

Kimberkid

I had an old BMW 500 when I got to Germany after Nam...It was fun riding it till one of the guys I rode with pulled along side me and took the key our of the bike (it was on top of the bracket for the headlight) leaving me stranded in the middle of the intersection...

Mine ran good but did not have the cool factor of the Brit twins...of which I had two when I got out of the Army...They make a Hell of a Big bike now...was reading about it yesterday...something like 1200 cc and super fast like all the huge bikes are today...I would have another BMW...good machines...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 Aikidale...or Honda or Kawasaki or Suzuki or Ducati...

I am still riding the 1979 Kawasaki KZ-750 I bought new back in 1979 (now has 75,000 miles on it). All hard core city driving, only engine work was a valve job at 60k.

Doesn't leak a drop of oil, compression is as new. Runs strong.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Harleys get ripped on a lot, but the truth is any bike can have problems and it comes down to how well the manufacturer and your dealer stand behind it. I've had my Honda Valkyrie for a little over 5 years and I've got about 67K miles on it. I've had two issues the whole time and both were fixed by the dealer under warranty. Had the fuel valve leak once, which was a quick fix. Most catastrophically, I had the gear splines in the rear wheel give way at about 75mph in the middle of nowhere, east Texas! Now, that is a frightening noise. Kinda like a Glock kaboom in the final drive! :o Not fun and had to get towed back to Austin. Ironically, a buddy on a Harley V-rod had to help with the rescue. That's what I get for ribbing him all these years! :rolleyes:

I contend that the splines were the dealer's fault. When they did the teardown, it was bone dry in there. They are supposed to apply moly paste to the splines when the rear tire gets replaced and the tire they put on hadn't been there a real long time. I was pretty pissed about this, but of course they claimed they did no wrong and even had the gall to say that it was possible that Honda might say it was a maintenance issue and not cover it under warranty (even though the dealer has done all required maintenance!) I said, look, it's either a manufacturer defect (doubtful) or a failure by the dealer to perform proper maintenance procedure. Argue amongst yourselves and decide who pays, but it ain't gonna be me! Honda picked up the tab and I had it fixed in under a week.

Luckily, I bought the extended warranty. Got 3 years with the bike plus 4 extra, so it's covered until 2008. ;)

I leave in the morning for a trip to Colorado! I try to take Jezebel (that's my Valk) out across a few states at least once a year. B)

Edited by AustinMike

If BMW made airplanes I would want to take flying lessons. :)

FM

BMW Started out as a company that made airplane engines, then motorcycles then cars. Lots of the engines used by Germany in WW2 were made by BMW. Their engine plants were heavily targeted during US and Brits bombing runs in WW2.

Scott

If BMW made airplanes I would want to take flying lessons. :)

FM

BMW Started out as a company that made airplane engines, then motorcycles then cars. Lots of the engines used by Germany in WW2 were made by BMW. Their engine plants were heavily targeted during US and Brits bombing runs in WW2.

Scott

I forgot about them making airplane engines.

If BMW maufactured airplanes, from the ground up as trick and reliable as their motorcycles, that is the airplane I would want to travel in.

I always liked the Honda/Ducati Gizmo/Dresmo shirts. :D

But I was always on a Honda budget. :(

FM

...I would have another BMW...good machines...

Absolutely! But...dropped one end of the shaft drive on an R69-S. Very messy problem that broke the housing in addition to leaving me on the side of the road. Still the smoothest ride on the road, period.

Lots of very quick scooters out there and lots of comfortable rides, but if you want silky, smooth, quiet and no BS on warranty work, it is BMW all the way.

David C

...I would have another BMW...good machines...

Absolutely! But...dropped one end of the shaft drive on an R69-S. Very messy problem that broke the housing in addition to leaving me on the side of the road. Still the smoothest ride on the road, period.

Lots of very quick scooters out there and lots of comfortable rides, but if you want silky, smooth, quiet and no BS on warranty work, it is BMW all the way.

David C

California Highway Patrol are now on BMW's. There was a shady bidding deal where Harley, BMW, and Kawasaki (the supplier of choice for the last 25 years) all bid. Kawi was about $6000, harley was about $7000, and BMW was about 15,000. How did BMW win?

They offered a massive "rebate" (refund) on every bike to lower the net cost to about ten bucks under Kawasaki's bid. Their strategy is "get 'em pregnant" with the bikes and make the money bleeding them for parts and service.

Anyway, our state cops are on some beautiful machines these days.

One can not argue Honda is smooth, BMW is smoother, crotch rockets are fast, but...

only Harley is called the "Milwaukee Vibrator". Just ask any hooter endowed lady with the big grin on her face just after she got off her first ride on the back of my bad motor scooter how she likes Harleys !! ;) Ya just gotta take the good with the bad. :D

A friend of mine, another mechanical engineer, works for a company that specializes in exhaust, both OEM for Harley and aftermarket stuff. Their job mainly is to design pipes that are loud and shiny. His job is to figure out how to design the parts so they don't vibrate themselves apart. They call Harley's paint shakers on wheels.

FULLRACE

Hope the gal on the back of your bike has taxi money in her purse, so ya'll can ride home when the vibrator shakes itself apart and you are stranded... :D Been there, done that..now ride Ducati.

I traded my Yamaha (shaft drive) in for a Roadking and was told to expect a bumpy ride.... It aint. The newer model touring Harleys are just as smooth a ride as any of the foriegn bikes I have ever been on. That being said, they are yesterdays technology at tommorow's price. Unfortunatly, nothing on the road looks as good as a cheap Harley.

In the end...

I am taking my bike back today to the place where I got it. I called them the other day and they said they would be glad to fit me in whenever was convenient, and would do it while I waited. Good to see someone still knows how to do business.

Wish Mike Dillion would sell bikes......

KK

Never implied that the H-D was a bad ride...I am sure that it is great fun...just when you get older like me...you want to be able to hear conversation when you take a break from riding...Most of the Hogs out there are so loud, it is tough to talk over them..or after them...

Not so with my 800 Ducati...just a smooth burble till you twist the grip then it screams...but for Hiway riding, it is pretty quiet and very smooth..

BTW...glad you arre getting yours fixed and that you found a dealer with good customer service...

I don't know about the Mainland but a lot of the Harley dealerships here also sell Kawasaki. (Yeah, Team Green!!) I guess they're hedging their bets that when you want a bike you spend more time riding than fixing you'll come back to them for a Vulcan or Ninja or KLR.

I'm a sporty kinda guy so I can't say much to cruisers. But if I wanted a cruiser, it would either be a suzuki M109R (GSXR technology) or a yami road star warrior midnight edition:

05_RdstrWarrior_blk_1_3528.jpg

atek3

I hate that i made the jump from a Harley to a jap bike but it came right down to the $$$. a couple years ago i sold both my bikes, I had a 1993 Heritage and a 1994 Springer. the wife and I have been lookin' at bikes for a few months now and to get into the new Roadking the way i wanted it would have cost me about $24,000 so just for the hell of it i went to some of the local jap bike dealers and yesterday i test drove a Honda VTX 1800N and all i can say is WOW, this thing hauls ass and is smooth as silk and comfortable to ride. even after adding almost $3000 worth of options it is still just over $13,000 and it is one nice lookin' bike. I still feel bad to jump from a Harley to a Honda but not bad enough to spend twice the $$$. pics later today if it's ready to pick up.

Edited by BEDELLCUSTOM

Before I got the Ducati, I had a Suzuki 1500 Intruder, a Jap Harley...shaft drive, nice exhaust note, fast powerful and smooth and reliable...never a moments trouble...should have kept it, but wanted an exotic bike and ended up with the Duicati...

Got it fixed (sorta) last friday.

They attended to me as soon as I got there and it only took maybe 30 or 40 minutes from the time I pulled in, til I was back on the road.

Halfway through the tech came out and asked if they had been at the hieght I liked (they were) so I told him that was fine and it just need to be straightened (it was a lil crooked in the mount) and tightened. When the bring it out the bars are much lower than before, and still crooked. They are tight however, and 3 days and 600 miles later, they are still tight.

Maybe I outta just put a set of ape hangers on it and make them fit it to me.

Just got back from a trip through the Rocky Mountains on my Valkyrie. What a ride! Logged 2,320 miles over the 5 day trip. Just under 1,000 miles in the saddle yesterday coming home. Had my clutch sensor flake out a few times and had to start in neutral. I hate all the damn sensors and computer crap they put on bikes. I know how to ride, don't need a freakin' computer to "help!" :angry: Found out that 'ol dragon didn't like the altitude all that much. Noticable loss of power, like I was riding some crusty old V-twin. :P Hard starting the whole time and I was afraid for a while she wasn't going to wake back up after a break on a 12,000 foot peak! We're back down on earth in the 100 degree heat and she's breathing fire again! I'll have trip pics up on my web site later. I'm dead tired for now and have to go to work! :(

Harley, Beemer, rice burner...what ever ya got, ride it like ya stole it!!! :D

Dan,

After a couple of months on the Honda you won't even be able to remember why you would ever consider a Harley. The Honda's are just like your guns. They just run and run and run. No problems just go :D

FULLRACE

Hope the gal on the back of your bike has taxi money in her purse, so ya'll can ride home when the vibrator shakes itself apart and you are stranded... :D Been there, done that..now ride Ducati.

tightloop

Ouch! That hurt! :D Never had a gal take a taxi on one of my scooters. Here is one for all! 115 HP JAP Bike Eater. Still can't figure out how to add a picture

Edited by FULLRACE

115 hp is nothing...kawasaki makes a bike that puts out almost 200 hp...blows the Busa off the road and is gone B4 any of the H-D's get out of first gear...too much for an old man like me, but fun to read about..

and I have been stranded by my old Harley...twice B4 I sold that piece of crap...