Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill...again

Out of curiosity...

What would be an acceptable time for the Bill Drill WITH .45 cal 230 gr service type ammo (kicks like a mule) and a bone stock (16 lbs recoil spring etc.) single stack 1911.

I could not push my splits under .22 sec today and my draws sucked too with the "business gun" I guess I was kinda scared.

[Yes I did use the search function but I still had to post this...mainly because all the info is based on race set ups.]

With skilled hands (pretty much any of the GM's) ? 3 seconds or less would be my guess.

It's the little things that cut down on time; reacting to the timer, etc... much more so than simply dealing with full power ammo.

I locked in stance and grip (and raw strength) make a big difference when dealing with full power ammunition.

Edited by TRP-Professional

What Flex said. I found out my loads for the .40 are running 179 PF after rebareling my .40's. I ran some the other day with my single stack .40 179 pf ammo and el cheapo Uncle Mike holster and all A's repeatable were 2 sec -/+ .2

I ran it with 168 pf ammo also and he times were almost identical.

Out of curiosity...

What would be an acceptable time for the Bill Drill WITH .45 cal 230 gr service type ammo (kicks like a mule) and a bone stock (16 lbs recoil spring etc.) single stack 1911.

I could not push my splits under .22 sec today and my draws sucked too with the "business gun" I guess I was kinda scared.

[Yes I did use the search function but I still had to post this...mainly because all the info is based on race set ups.]

This should give you a little hint. This is no race gun but a "business gun" is there is such a thing :P . If your already intimidated by the recoil before you ever shoot there is a problem. Just take 5 or 6 full clips and burn them into the berm. Don't even aim at anything, just burn them off as fast as you can. Just notice what the gun does, how it recoils, what the sights do. You should find the thing doesn't really kick all that much.:ph34r::ph34r:

Smokin 45

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

• 2 weeks later...
Bill Drill...again, FULL POWER SERVICE TYPE AMMO - NO RACE GUN

Hehehe, when I first started shooting USPSA it was with a "buisness gun and factory hardball out of a leather holster with leather mag pouches (4)" and 2 seconds was a reasonable time. But that was the tail end of the "Weaver" days now I would imagine a sub 2 sec run is reasonable with the same. That's "Seein" all of em too.

Since the original poster didn't day anything about a holster type, I have to mention the 1.36 s Bill Drill TGO did with a Factory Ball ammo. I think the gun was either a Commander or a Long slide though. No plain Jane 1911.

• 2 weeks later...

Using my duty rig, which is a Kimber Custom Classic, a Safariland 6285 and Black Hills 230gr FMJ. I can run 2 seconds easy.

With the same weapon and ammo and the holster changing to a Kytac SooperHooper usually 1.85 seconds.

Jon

Edited by zen_grasshopper

• 1 month later...

I cant' watch the video.... dialup. :-P

holster doesn't matter, i can draw within a tenth from my IWB carry gun as my OWB IDPA holster as my USPSA dropped and offset and my safariland 012. what the race holster gives you is a more consistant grip and comfortable draw.

I don't mean to attack you. but "business gun" means it's carried a lot and never shot. I shoot production class. i can run bill drills in the 1.7-8 range regularly when warmed up.. 1.85 cold with a double action first shot. That's with my 9mm. a couple thousand rounds of timing and i can do the same with my 45 or any other pistol i pick up. Timing takes me a while as does trigger feel for some reason.

recoil is like falling down. Stop thinking about falling down and start thinking about getting up.

Splits are huge on bill drills as is the draw. what was your draw time?

I am wondering about the first person view segment of Todd Jarret's video that curmudgeon posted above.

I don't think it was a hoser cam that took that footage. It looked more centered and more like on top looking down on the gun.

Anyone here know what camera setup that was?

Thanks!

Pardon the thread drift, I couldn't tell you anything about my Bill Drills, I don't practice them often enough.

• 2 weeks later...

My curiosity is peaked.

we'd have to compare apples to apples , similar guns and holsters etc to get a good answer to the original question.

I'm thinking of getting some shooters at my club to try it. and see what a good time would be with an IDPA type rig

Just a thought, should the real point be to compete with ones self, and look for ways to refine your form?