Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Mag Pouch Question - Bullets Facing Forward Or Backward?

ArnisAndyz

When you have a rifle mag carrier on your belt, weakside, do you point the bullets forwards or backwards? With the AR 30 round mags I'm having a hard time guiding the bullet with my index finger like a pistol mag (mag is too big for my small hands). I tried bullets backwards, pulling the mag straight out, so the mag is upside down bullets facing to the rear, then rolling it forward, my palm ends up under the baseplate where I can exert more pressure when seating the mag. It has worked for me, but I'm not sure if its the best way.

TIA,

Andy

Edited by ArnisAndyz

When you have a rifle mag carrier on your belt, weakside, do you point the bullets forwards or backwards? With the AR 30 round mags I'm having a hard time guiding the bullet with my index finger like a pistol mag (mag is too big for my small hands). I tried bullets backwards, pulling the mag straight out, so the mag is upside down bullets facing to the rear, then rolling it forward, my palm ends up under the baseplate where I can exert more pressure when seating the mag. It has worked for me, but I'm not sure if its the best way.

TIA,

Andy

guess it depends on yer loading technique, but mine are on the belt with the rounds facing to the rear-that way you can just stuff it into the mag well without turning it 180 degrees.

Edited by outerlimits

guess it depends on yer loading technique, but mine are on the belt with the rounds facing to the rear-that way you can just stuff it into the mag well without turning it 180 degrees.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I follow? Are you starting mag lips down bullets pointing to the back? Or are they mag lips up pointing back? In either case, wouldn't it still need to go 180 (either on a verticle axis or a horizontal)?

If the mag lips are down with bullets forward, there is still a 180 turn on a different axis. The only way I see avoiding 180 is to have lips up bullets forward.

Thanks, but I'm not sure I follow? Are you starting mag lips down bullets pointing to the back? Or are they mag lips up pointing back? In either case, wouldn't it still need to go 180 (either on a verticle axis or a horizontal)?

If the mag lips are down with bullets forward, there is still a 180 turn on a different axis. The only way I see avoiding 180 is to have lips up bullets forward.

lips down, bullets pointed to rear-much easier on the wrist. also, if you have to reload from a prone position and forgot to take the mag out, it's also easier...

lips down, bullets pointed to rear-much easier on the wrist. also, if you have to reload from a prone position and forgot to take the mag out, it's also easier...

Gotcha...mine is the same way, lips down bullets pointing to the rear. Since my pouch is near vertical, I like to grab it in a "reverse" position (if it wee a fixed blade knife it would be in reverse or icepick grip) rather than bending the wrist over for a pistol grip draw. I'll have to experiment with where I carry the mag and the angle its sitting. If the the mag was canted more rearward, almost horizontal where the bullets are pointing to the ground, I'm thinking that would make for a faster draw/reload.

I load from the weakside and all my mags go into the holders upside down and bullet tips pointing rearward. I rotate week arm back, grab, pull out and swivel the arm forward while half twisting the mag to make it align with the mag well however you hold it. BTW, I do not dismount the rifle from my shoulder unless the position demands it, I just lean back a little so the rifle doesn't droop and twist it a tad so the magwell looks right at the incoming mag. Doing a flatfooted, standing reload onto a 10 yard target with an A hit either side of the reload, I am getting under 2 seconds shot to shot on demand now this way (1.8-1.9ish cold with best effort 1.6's and 1.7's when I am all stoked up and runnin' hot).

I load from the weakside and all my mags go into the holders upside down and bullet tips pointing rearward.

It would be interesting to hear how many are bullets forward vs bullets back. So far its 3 out of 3 for bullets pointing to the rear, however, I'm finding alot of companies like Blade-Tek are orientated for bullets forward (NOTE: STANDARD AR-15 POUCHES ARE MADE WITH BULLETS FORWARD). I guess if you wanted bullets to the rear you could order the lefthand model (if your right handed).

I run AR mags just like pistol mags. Bullets down and forward. Same position, same procedure. 3-gun belt is set up with an AR mag in front, 2 pistol mags to the left of that and an additional AR mag on the back - that one has the bullets down and down (i.e., the mag is on it's side with the baseplate facing forward and the bullets pointed at the ground). When I've been practicing, I've done a rifle El Prez in 6 seconds and change at 50 yards.

I use a Redimag on the gun, pretty fast for me, and a 3 Gun Gear double mag pouch with the drop thingy (technical term) attached to my leg with the strap, with the bullets down and bullets facing to the rear. I don't try to do the pistol mag thing with my index finger. I have small hands and have to grab the rifle mag just above the floorplate and rotate 180 with the bullets ending up pointing forward. Works OK for me, but I'm just a rookie, not one of the more advanced shooters.

Old Blind Squirrel

Single mag pouch reload - Bullets forward just like a pistol reload, except that the index finger wraps the mag instead of along the front of the mag. Works great in both 20's and 30's.

Multiple reloads - GI pouch (4x20) and it still looks like my pistol reload except that the index finger wraps the mag. At the NY state match they had a stage that had three mandatory mag changes. It worked OK.

Billski

I do a push-pull insertion and this works great.

Bullets forward. I like to keep my reload techniques the same whether its for a pistol or a rifle.

Erik

Ditto here, mags are down and bullets foward, same movement no matter what gun. I also use a mag cinch so my first two mags are on the gun, third one is on the belt.

Bullets up and forward.....in the mag well! A Beta means not changing mags :D Magazine pouches?? Oh those are for sailors baby! :lol: KURTM

+1 on the C-Mag. If i have multiple stages to shoot, i just add about 20-30 rounds between stages. If i do short stages......i use the pouches, bullets down, tips fwd.

Just a thought: Determine what feels best to you most of the time and then be consistent with your technique. Whatever you do, do it the same way all the time!

Oh, and practice, practice, practice!!! :D

Old SF