Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Parts On My Glock Broke At The Ga State

chp5

At the GA State this weekend, I had two parts break on my LTD Glock 22 - the trigger spring and the tip of the striker.

The trigger spring broke on a stage and the trigger would not reliably reset. Interestingly, it did reset some of the time - other times it became a single shot pistol.

The second issue reared its head when I began getting light strikes. I do NOT use a reduced power striker sping, so the light strikes were suprising. I broke it down and saw a small chip in the striker tip.

I always bring a back up gun, so I finished the match with my G35. I've heard about trigger springs and striker tips breaking, but it never happened to me. Then I have both on one day! Such is life . . .

Sue broke the trigger spring on her Glock 17 during practice yesterday. The trigger would reset if you held it back while cycling the slide but wouldn't if your finger was off the trigger. I replaced the spring but didn't try that live fire with the spring broken.

EVERY GLOCK I SHOOT HAS A CHIPPED STRIKER TIP.

Every single one. They all still work though. My original G35 striker tip...you'd look at it and shake your head, but it has run like that for years.

Cy, was your trigger spring original or after-market? Was the engagement hole for it on the trigger bar moved?

Cy, was your trigger spring original or after-market? Was the engagement hole for it on the trigger bar moved?

I believe it was a Glockmeister spring. Yes - the engagment hole was drilled higher. All my Glock are set up that way.

I've also noticed chipped striker tips, but this one would not reliably ignite the primers. Costly in a match :(

Edited by chp5

I think some of the "trigger kit" guns are using Wolff, not Glockmeister for their trigger return spring. I've always liked Wolff's striker spring, but I have had two shooters come up to me that were running the Wolff trigger spring...asking me if I had a spare. :( I've never seen another trigger spring fail, in person (though, I hear about them enough).

Relocating the trigger hole could be a factor as well. The spring hook could sit different and/or put the spring on a twist.

Could it possibly be that after drilling the new hole in the trigger bar (which I've heard is hard as hell) the Glock-Smith dosent de-bur the hole. Thereby causing unnecessary friction on the spring hook, eventually wearing it thin.

Could it possibly be that after drilling the new hole in the trigger bar (which I've heard is hard as hell) the Glock-Smith dosent de-bur the hole. Thereby causing unnecessary friction on the spring hook, eventually wearing it thin.

Not in this case. The spring broke down at the main group of coils - not here it contacts the trigger bar.

I have broke several of of the Wolff trigger springs. So many in fact that I have set up a "Gunspring Log" to track how many rounds I have on each spring in the gun. I have seen and heard of several other people breaking them as well. I change the trigger spring every 2000 rounds. Which roughly translates to once a month. I know it sounds excessive, but if I don't- sure enough one breaks. I don't have any special "trigger work" done from those that offer those services. I am sure they are installed properly, so it is something I have come to terms with and accept it. They only cost a couple of bucks when bought in bulk. It does make one say "hummmmm?" though doesn't it?! :huh:

I've broken 2 of the Wolff trigger springs.

One of the superGlocksmiths, [t novak, j nagel or c vanek] told me that the Glockmeister trigger spring lasts longer, some sort of difference in the bending & heat-treating.

----

Side-note: while seeing how many types of primers my Open Glock could set off with the Vanek trigger, I decided that shooting live-fire anyway, there's almost no difference in the speed & quality of the shot with either the light STRIKER spring or the standard Glock striker spring. With the Vanek: which has no staging at all, it pulls straight thru.

With Vanek's job, I only feel difference [this is being picky - even for me - mind you] when pulling the trigger many many times in dry fire. When the end result is going to be Bang & then recoil & also some follow-thru, I don't notice the difference. If anything the heavier STRIKER spring improves the surprise break.

With my own re-drilled trigger bar [no repositioned pad like Charlie's] I admit I much prefer the lighter striker spring, mild preference for it while shooting live-fire too. That trigger stages and while it resides in my G35 Ltd gun, it seems to set off every primer there is with the light Wolff spring.

Either way, I like the heavier [Glockmeister] trigger spring much more. Worth changing it out every few 1000 rounds.

Edited by eric nielsen

Sue broke the trigger spring on her Glock 17 during practice yesterday. The trigger would reset if you held it back while cycling the slide but wouldn't if your finger was off the trigger. I replaced the spring but didn't try that live fire with the spring broken.

EXACT same thing happened to me today, same symptoms and everything.

Luckily, I'd read this thread, so I knew what happened! Thanks Bill & Sue! :)

I don't re drill the trigger spring hole but rather bend the arm to 90*. Many rounds thru 3 Glocks (17, 26, 23) with nary a broken OEM trigger spring. I also use a lightened striker and OEM striker spring sans 7 coils. W/2lb triggers there's no problem lighting CCI primers. In fact my carry ammo has CCI primers.

At the GA State this weekend, I had two parts break on my LTD Glock 22 - the trigger spring and the tip of the striker.

The second issue reared its head when I began getting light strikes. I do NOT use a reduced power striker sping, so the light strikes were suprising. I broke it down and saw a small chip in the striker tip.

My minor was in mechanical engineering. First time I got a good look at how that thin piece of metal projects off the end of the striker shank out at the tip, I thought it looked like something VERY prone to breaking off.

There must be a better way to do that.

He will probably break that one too. The gun manufacturers should use Cy for torture testing their guns.

Oh, I've already broke the XD, but Rich got me running again :D

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to mention that an extra "slide stop spring" might be worth keeping around as I had one break on my G19 this year. I've broken a trigger spring at a local match, I was able to finish the match, I just had to hold down the trigger and really follow through with each shot....Of coarse, now I always just carry a few spare parts.

I've broke the big pin that holds the trigger in place before. Was still able to shoot the match with it, in fact didn't realize it, until I went home and was going to clean the gun and there it was broke right there at the first notch, where the slide stop rests. I have also broke the trigger return spring. It was a wolf spring. Part of thier competition trigger pack, which has a nice trigger pull, but I have broke one, and a friend has broke another. so I went back to the factory trigger return spring. Unfortuantly I was only able to get my trigger down to 4.5lbs, with no pre travel, by pinning the trigger housing. As far as the striker, have not broke the tip, and its been tens of thousand of rounds. Maybe just lucky.

As far as bending the arm; Do you have any pics that you can put on the web here. And are you using the factory spring?

I also see that people are relocating the trigger return spring hole also, could someone post a pic of that also. I would very much like to upgrade my trigger pull.

I could use all the help I can from you knowledgeable BENOS crowd.

Thanks

PK

I've broke the big pin that holds the trigger in place before. Was still able to shoot the match with it, in fact didn't realize it, until I went home and was going to clean the gun and there it was broke right there at the first notch, where the slide stop rests. I have also broke the trigger return spring. It was a wolf spring. Part of thier competition trigger pack, which has a nice trigger pull, but I have broke one, and a friend has broke another. so I went back to the factory trigger return spring. Unfortuantly I was only able to get my trigger down to 4.5lbs, with no pre travel, by pinning the trigger housing. As far as the striker, have not broke the tip, and its been tens of thousand of rounds. Maybe just lucky. I just went to glockmeister and bough almost every single part that moves or bends, that could break and stuck in a fishing lure clear platic box. I think I spent a little over $100. But it is a good little piece of insurance.

As far as bending the arm; Do you have any pics that you can put on the web here. And are you using the factory spring?

I also see that people are relocating the trigger return spring hole also, could someone post a pic of that also. I would very much like to upgrade my trigger pull.

I could use all the help I can from you knowledgeable BENOS crowd.

Thanks

PK