Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xd, Glock Or Tanfoglio......which For Production?

Flight

I shoot limited and would very soon also try my hands in production. To be honest I dont know much about DA type pistols. I'll narrow down my options so it would be more easier for you guys to help me decide which pistol is better for production.

1. Glock 17

2. Tanfoglio

3. Springfield XD

Do you prefer 9mm? If you have no preference, I would suggest Glock 35. The .40 will allow you to shoot the same gun (and be competitive) in production, limited, or limited 10 if you want.

If you are really into trigger feel, the XD will have the nicest of the ones you listed. The XD is technically not a DA pistol. After a trigger job it almost feels like a 1911. Not exactly but close enough for a plastic gun. There's no stacking or mushiness to the trigger. It's just a very clean break.

I currently shoot a XD9 Tactical in IDPA ESP (where it naturally falls) and will transition to USPSA Production with it later this month. It's a very accurate gun out of the box and it runs. The same goes with the Glock 17.. To me it boiled down to the trigger.

YMMV.....

Edited by 21411

The Glock 17 is a good choice, the trigger can be improved a lot over the factory setup and they tend to be very reliable. However if you shoot a different type of pistol then a Glock in Limited the transision back and forth can be problematic because of the different grip angle.

The Tanfoglio is a CZ copy and has a grip angle much closer to the rest of the pistols normally used in Limited. Also the trigger can be made to be very nice. I would go with the CZ SP01 instead of the Tanfoglio.

The XD also has a good grip angle and the trigger can be made to mimic the 1911 trigger very closely. However the XD has been having a lot of breakage problems and Springfield will not sell parts to anyone. As a result you have to send it back to the factory for any and all repairs.

When I shoot Porduction before I used a Glock 17 and a Glock 34. If I was to shoot Poruction again I would use a CZ SP01...........

The XD also has a good grip angle and the trigger can be made to mimic the 1911 trigger very closely. However the XD has been having a lot of breakage problems and Springfield will not sell parts to anyone. As a result you have to send it back to the factory for any and all repairs.

+1

Also, the reset of the stock XD trigger is incredibly looooong. A trip to Canyon Creek will solve that however.

I have owned 4 XD's and only had to make one trip back to S.A. for repair.Locking block cracked but they have improved the design with relief cuts.

The only other failure would be Roll pins which are easily attainable and only fail from allot of dry fire with out snap caps.

My Vote would Springfield XD 5" tactical

+1

Also, the reset of the stock XD trigger is incredibly looooong. A trip to Canyon Creek will solve that however.

Or to our very own Loves2Shoot at www.springerprecision.com. As far was parts breakage mentioned in this thread I have never experienced anyway. SA has corrected some of the issues such as the locking block. New XD's shouldn't have any problems. The only other problem I see is with the V10 models. From what a smith was telling you you can actually buy certain parts from SA themselves. They limit you to 3 parts per order.

My last XD had about 4K rounds through it without incident.

But I have to give it to Glock for being easy to work on. If anything breaks, you can go online and purchase a part from several vendors. The parts are dirt cheap too (price wise).

Personally, the DA/SA guns drive me a little nuts. Never could get used to the first

shot second shot transition. So no CZ Beretta whatever.

Glock. If they fit your hand, look no further. Reliable, simple to work on, great

aftermarket parts availability. If you don't reload, get a 17 or 34. If you do reload,

consider the 22 or 35. Minor 40 is S-O-F-T, and you can make major in the other

divisions. I actually used the same G35 to make B in Production, Limited, and Open.

Another plus for the Glock--magazines are CHEAP, and there are a bunch op people out there doing triggers etc.. You can pretty much do a Glock however you want. I'm

currently running a G35 for limited, and a G17 Major 9 Open gun.

XD. Stock trigger is better than Glock, and there are a couple of people that can put a really sweet trigger on the XD. Parts are another story. Evidently SA is reluctant

to sell parts, and there much aftermarket supply yet. Some Glock parts are said to

fit.

S&W M&P. New kid on the block. I've had my hands on a 40, and the 9's are starting

to show up. Initial reports are favorable. If you have small hands, it's a nice fit with

the small backstrap insert. My wife has tiny hands, and it fits her. I see one in her future!

Magazines are a bit spendy, and the parts situation is an unknown at present.

open17, what was your PF for the soft 40 loads?

IIRC, the PF was around 135. At the time (during the ban), I was using 10 rd 40 mags.

I could load down to 127 PF or so, but had a problem with cycling on the first round in a full mag. Too much up pressure from the top round would slow the slide. My load was 3.2

of N310 under a 180 gr Armscor bullet. With normal capacity mags downloaded to 10 rds,

you could probably run right down close to 125 PF with no problems. I was running a

13 lb ISMI spring.

You might want to look at the Para 18/9 LDA Ltd. I bought one last year just to shoot for fun not intending to compete with it. Last Saturday I went to an IDPA local shoot (no other shoots were close enough to drive), I intended to shoot my Wilson 38 super single stack but picked up the wrong ammo. I had the LDA in the car and got some 9mm bullets from the shop and shot it. What a suprise, I knew the trigger was pretty good for a DA and did not have a transition problem because I shoot Limited with a SV. I am going to shoot this gun in Production at some local USPSA shoots this year. I shot real well for never shooting this gun in practice.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I don't have any experience with the XD or other pistol you mention, but I believe the Glock is ROCK SOLID!!!

Try shooting one first if you have the opportunity, because it seems that people either really love them, or they really hate them.

XD's and the CZ-SP01 peak my interest too, but the Glock has been too good to me to even think about trying something else!

I was shooting an XD tactical. It has the Dawson sights and the Canyon Creek trigger. The grip angle is like a 1911 so going from my limited and open guns was no big deal. I've since gone to a CZ SP01. The CZ has more weight and a better balance in my hand. I tried shooting a Glock 34 a few years back, but it didn't point well for me. If you aregoing to shoot Glocks in other divisions, go with a 17 or 34 (35 if you reload). If you shoot alot of 1911, you may want to try either the XD or the CZ. It all goes back to finding what you like and getting good with it. B)

My stock response to this question:

Glock. You may be able to go righter, but you can't go wrong.

When I got started shooting, I wanted to hate Glock for no other reason than too many people like it. Well, after I tried shooting a USP, an XD, a CZ-85, and a Walther, I discovered that there is a reason *why* people like the glock.

That bloody CZ was a pump action. Might as well have not *had* an extractor.

All I care about in a pistol is reliability. Reliability, and nothing else. Any other drawbacks can be practised out, but no technique makes an unrealiable pistol work better.

Now, if only I didn't live in canada, where we have periodic shortages. Right now it's small pistol primers. You can only get small rifle primers, and once every shooting session I get a light strike. Cost me a stage on Saturday.

Oh, and the Glock is the easiest gun of any type, belt-fed to derringer, to detail strip, parts are nearly free, and Glock's customer service and support are unparalled in any industry. Even up here in Canada.*

*Where springfield's lifetime warranty has a rider "+lifetime of a fruit fly... 8 hours"

*where USPs are like ferraris. Buy 2, one to shoot, and one for parts

My stock response to this question:

Glock. You may be able to go righter, but you can't go wrong.

+1

I used to hate the look of the Glock. But you cant argue with it's performance record. I've won so many matches with mine I cant count. Parts are easily available to build up an Open Glock, or a LTD gun, but they fit into Production quite nicely too.

Tanfoglio Stock is my choice.

I have shot Steve Andersons XD i am not fond of the mag release which is still up in the air about legal, grip safety makes me nervous but trigger is awesome as long as you never want to shoot IPSC matches.

Glocks don't fit my hand at all.

CZ has a bit smaller grip on them...and from the world shoot we can see the frame erodes from normal wear :) Sights need work.

I chose the Tanfoglio because it will hold 18 +1 for international competition. 7 ish pounds DA pull, 2.5 chrisp SA short reset. Sights are bomar coppies. Felt recoil is very soft (soft enough i shoot 140 PF loads in production from my 9mm) accuracy is insane. from the box my gun shot 1" at 20 yards with winchester white box 115 and my 147 competition load. Also i can get a limited gun on the exact same frame.

For me the CZ or the Tanfoglio shoot the best..

I am shooting an SP01 right now..and have a lot of rounds and dryfires through it with no problems..

gun holds 19+1 for IPSC..with the CZ comp sights and hammer..the guns set up really nice..

the grip fits my small hands really well..

I like the accuracy and feel of the gun better than the G34 I shot before it.

the nice thing about production is that there are so many good choices..its really up to what fits you best and what you shoot best.

CZ has a bit smaller grip on them...and from the world shoot we can see the frame erodes from normal wear :)

"frame erosion"????????

It's a joke, because the champ has a specialy modified at the factory, prototype, one of a kind, not available to anyone else, gun that had a sharp edge eased. :)

There are several great guns, I like the XD because I skip around between divisions and the triggers I set up are almost the same.

There are several great guns, I like the XD because I skip around between divisions and the triggers I set up are almost the same.

True - but only if they send the XD to you (L2S) or Rich.

BTW - have you ever done a trigger job on an S&W M&P?

Edited by chp5

I'm a big fan of the XD. My only concern was the availability of parts but SA will send a good deal of them and is really great about getting everything else fixed. They rushed mine through so that it'd be done in time for a local match.

Shoot what fits you the best - Since last summer I've tried a wide variety of production guns. I've shot the G17, Beretta E2, CZ SP01, and G34 -

I like all of them for different reasons but the Glock's work the best for me -