Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Of A Reload?

Merlin Orr

Can/would someone post a video that shows the "proper" way to do a reload at a speed where I can actually see the steps involved? It would help if done at an angle showing the way the gun is held to allow me to fumble smoothly insert the moon clip into the gun. :huh:

Several of us shot 625's and weak hand reload. I have no problems doing it without looking and while moving. That may be because I had a hell of a time loading my model 66 with really thin moon clips. The clips for the 625 just DROP in without any thought. Maybe I can get Jerry V to film me or I can film him this week-end and send something to you. Walt

Can/would someone post a video that shows the "proper" way to do a reload at a speed where I can actually see the steps involved? It would help if done at an angle showing the way the gun is held to allow me to fumble smoothly insert the moon clip into the gun. :huh:

So let me see if I understand correctly: You're not looking for a video of a "Fast" reload, you want to see a video of a "Half-Fast" reload?

Sure, I can do one of those.......

So let me see if I understand correctly: You're not looking for a video of a "Fast" reload, you want to see a video of a "Half-Fast" reload?

Sure, I can do one of those.......

Walter

After trying a few reloads I am thinking my idea of shooting revo is kind of half fassed... :)

Merlin

Could have told you that ....but NO, you had to get a round gun...face it, you are a bottom feeder and love it...let the round gun shooters do their thing and you do yours...the 625 will make good trade bait at the next gun show.. :D

Merlin

Could have told you that ....but NO, you had to get a round gun...face it, you are a bottom feeder and love it...let the round gun shooters do their thing and you do yours...the 625 will make good trade bait at the next gun show.. :D

Hit me again hit me again....I like it... :wacko:

I don't know squat abut revolver reloading... (an yet I am going to type some more :) )

Somebody told me this trick, and it made some sense (since I do something similar for sticking mags in the autos)...

When you tip the revolver down to receive, the angle ought to be such that you can look down through the cylinders and see daylight. This gives you a straight line of sight...and a path/plane of vision to bring the new round onto to get them properly aligned with the cylinder.

Does that make any sense to anybody else?

When you tip the revolver down to receive, the angle ought to be such that you can look down through the cylinders and see daylight. This gives you a straight line of sight...and a path/plane of vision to bring the new round onto to get them properly aligned with the cylinder.

Yes it does. Reloading a wheelgun quickly and consistently is very much a visual thing. Even when running, the shooter should look down and watch the moonclip go in. Just another example of how important "seeing" is to this game of ours.

Just buy Jerry's video. He shows you how to do reloads both with weak and strong hand, plus lots of other revolver tips too.

http://www.sportshooter.com/library/vid_advancedrevolver.cfm

In all seriousness, +1 on this suggestion. I have the dvd and it is well worth the money for a new shooter.

I also bought his trigger job dvd. You'll be wanting that as well.

Yes it does. Reloading a wheelgun quickly and consistently is very much a visual thing. Even when running, the shooter should look down and watch the moonclip go in. Just another example of how important "seeing" is to this game of ours.

Very true indeed. I haven't practiced for some months now and picked up the revolver for this thread. The thing I noticed immediatel is how important the visual input is.

Unfortunately I don't have a cam, or I would shoot a little video. I know I do a reload "Travis style" shot by Saul Kirsch on his World Shoot DVD. It's also shown in half speed I believe.

Just wanted to add one of the things I've noticed. Don't try to "cram" the moon into the cylinder, this will just cause the rounds to catch on the chamber edges and bind up. Release the clip just above the cylinder and let it drop in on it's own. Gravity and the shape of FMJ bullets will do the rest.

As to which finger/thumb does what when it comes to pushing the cylinder latch/pushing the cylinder out/ejecting the spent rounds, everybody's different here.

What I e mailed to Merlin. Add what I missed:

No video, but here goes.

A right handed shooter using a strong hand reload.

After last shot, manipulate the thumb release with thumb of strong hand. Move weak hand so palm is against trigger guard, thumb in position to strike extractor rod, small, ring, and middle fingers come up on right side of cylinder and swing it through.

With muzzle pointed skyward, strike extractor rod TWO times with weak hand thumb while reaching for a new moon clip. This puts the revolver in the weak hand and the moon clip in the strong hand.

Rotate the muzzle back toward the ground and put the butt against the belt (Not your butt, the gun butt :P ) With gun as vertical as possible drop in the new moon clip, close cylinder with weak palm while relocating grip and bringing the gun up to eye level.

Sounds complicated but watch the Jerry video and see how it is done.

Weak hand reload is:

Maintain grip, release thumb latch with strong thumb, swing out cylinder with trigger finger. hold gun vertical and slap extractor with palm of weak hand being careful not to impale yourself (I don't like this one as a regular) Move muzzle back toward ground, reach for moon clip with weak hand and load. Close cylinder with weak hand maintaining shooting grip all the time.

See what you like but it takes practice and chamfering to do it all.

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Merlin,

Go talk to Jerry. In about five minutes he can show you how to reload a revolver. He spent about that long with each of the women at Ladies' Camp a few years ago. It's very simple. After that, it's all practice.

Liota

When I read your post I tried out the "straight line of sight" and it does appear that is the way to go. My problem is now with finding out what kind of grip to hold the gun with while allowing this to happen.

I do believe that a vid from Jerry M is in my near future... :)

Thanks to all for the support and input. I am surely going to need it.. ;)

My 2 cents, thanx for the reloading help btw.

I don't think its something to worry about. Flip the gun over enough to get the bullets and if desired (depending on load and conditions) powder out of the cylinders, then flip the gun downward to allow gravity to let the bullets drop in. The bullets need to move slightly during the process to "hit their center". Its important to use the opposing hand to get the new ammo in place above the cylinder the moment you get the chamber holes pointing downward. I may be wrong but I believe gravity should be used as a benefit and not a hinderance. Keep the gun close to the belt line/stomach area, not far out away from you body as these movements are a little more difficult away from you body. With practice the gun should be firing again before the moonclip hits the ground, not that you'd ever notice.

I like the video too, but practice makes the process quick.

I try to make the process faster by not breaking the 180 and trying to keep the movements clean. You can dump rounds early (before the gun is barrel up) and you can drop rounds in early (before the gun is barrel down).

After that do whatever you can do to make the process faster, whether its "right" or not.

Hi, Liota, long time no hear huh? VA is great!

Merlin it is not half speed but maybe you can do a frame by frame. Hope fully it worked. It is a 38 super 8 shot using mooncllips but also using speedstix. Well it did not work I got an error message. Go to wildbunch and checkout the videos. Try the short one call driving muffcam view. there are several others but this shows the best. later rdd

Edited by Bubber

Bubber,

I'll try to remember to load a camera and we'll try to make some movies Saturday.

We can film you loading with speed sticks and moons.

We can film Double Action loading weak hand.

We can film me dropping my bullets on the ground and cussing the whole concept. ;)

Hi, Liota, long time no hear huh? VA is great!

Hi, Allen! Glad to hear you are enjoying retirement. :) As you probably know from these forums, I'm doing my one year in Korea right now. 'Bout half way to the finish line. It's fun, but no shooting really hinders the fun.

Merlin,

One of the things that stood out when Jerry taught us how to reload the revolver is that the full moonclip hit the side of the frame before sliding into the cylinder. It seemed to help the clip line up and go in smoother. Of course, Jerry could probably throw the moonclip from across the range and have it land correctly. His daughter said she's heard he's "pretty good" with a revolver. :lol:

As far as the grip goes, you will have to re-establish your grip every time, so consistency is the key. Jerry, a gal named Annette Aysen and a couple of others relatively close to you could provide you with the help you need.

Liota

Liota