Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Gun For My Girlfriend

rhgunguy

The title pretty much says it all. A little background. She is 4'6", 120 lbs soaking wet. She has fired a Glock 35(to big, didn't like recoil), CZ-75(a hair to big, didn't mind recoil), and a Browning Hi Power(right size, didn't mind recoil).

I am trying to figure out if a 1911 in .40 would be just as snappy as the Glock, so the opinion of anyone who can speak to both would be appreciated.

Otherwise, if you could recommend something the size of the BHP or smaller that is production legal, I would appreciate it.

Budget is $700-$800 on the high end, but less is better.

The recoil will obviously less with a steel framed gun that with a polymer frame. As you girlfriend is so light she may get better results with a heavier gun. EAA has some steel framed guns that are Production legal and very similar to CZ. They also have some compact ones.

The grip is smaller on CZ/EAA guns so that may also help. EAA web-site is here --> EAA Witness Handguns

The recoil may be less on steel frame guns, but the flex on polymer guns also softens recoil. By being "too large" I'm assuming you mean grip size.

"Small grip" production guns include the Springfield XD, the Steyr M9-A1 (only 4" barrel, though), and the S&W M&P that's supposed to be coming out in a 5" 9mm model soon. (The S&W would be my choice.)

CZ/EAA guns have a trigger reach that's too long for some shooters, including myself. The same is true for the Walther/S&W 99, even with an adjustable backstrap.

Except for the Para LDA (long reset) with thin grips, I can't think of any production legal steel frame guns with a narrow grip and short trigger reach that's suitable for IPSC.

Most 1911's are not production legal so that really limits you. The Para mentioned above is the only one that I can think of as well that would be production legal.

I do have an M&P and can say that I have a different opinion then most on the recoil. I think it recoils about the same as my Glock 22 so I would not suggest it over a Glock. The only advantage it does have is that it has adjustable back straps to help with grip size. Recoil may be ok in 9mm though, so it is a good possibility!

The glocks may fit here a little better with a gen 2 frame. My wife has small hands and was able to get comfortable with the gen 2 over the gen 3. The finger groves made her feel that she did not have a good grip on the gun. So I would suggest having her try the Glock 17 with a gen 2 frame if you can find one locally for her to feel. It is bullet proof, cheap and mags etc are cheap as well.

Another choice you may have luck with is a Baby eagle in 9mm. My wife had one in 40 and liked it.(she likes recoil :P ). But in 9mm it is a very tame gun. It has an all steel frame to help absorb some of the recoil. Also it has a long slide release that my wife could hit with her thumb without changing grip. The only negative I see with it is the trigger was a close fit for my wife, it is a bit long on the first shot so it may be a bit long for your girlfriend.

It is kind of a pain to find a gun that is small hand friendly. Most of the guns with smaller grips are compacts and tend to have higher recoil.

HTH

Shawn

Edited by kitestir

I shoot .40's in the 1911 pattern almost exclusively, and have a .40 M&P also. I have played with the G22 in the past.

The .40 does recoil less in a 1911 than in a Glock or M&P.

It is some what less than a .45 in a 1911, but not a tremendous amount.

The new M&P in 9mm is out. If I were shooting production, I would go with this or a G17 for a small handed person.

Also, for a newer shooter, there is less to learn with either gun, no manual safety.

If she really hates recoil, get her a 9mm 1911.

I have one of these also, and find it to be the mildest recoiling centerfire pistolsI have ever fired.

She will have to shoot minor, but so what! She can shoot L10, Single Stack, or even Limited with it, and can do so with ammo from Wally World.

And, even though she is shooting minor, it is probably going to be easier for her to hit with, and will probably shoot it better, meaning more A's.

Besides, a beginner should not worry about being super competitive. It's more about being safe, and having fun. And if she comes away from a match without her hand stinging, and having all her hits, she is going to have more fun.

And with good ammo, a 9mm makes a decent self defensive pistol also. (yes .40s, and .45s are great, not trying to start an arguement here :D )

She can always graduate up to a .40 or .45 later on, as she gets used to it, and the controls will be the same., if she wants to. The holsters, etc, will be the same.

If she/you want her to shoot production, so be it. Glocks, M&Ps. or maybe the Para LDAs are all good guns, also.

Best thing to do is go to a well stocked gun shop, ask to see several of the above models, and see what she likes best. Then see if any of your buddies have any of these guns, and I'm sure they will let her try them out.

Does she have to shoot major? Instead of the 35 why not have her shoot the 34? I have small hands and that was the gun I started with in competition. Easy to handle and with 9mm she won't have any recoil problems even shooting factory.

In all actuality .40 at minor is softer than 9mm at minor. I have a 35 with a 13 lb. spring and use it as one of the first guns for folks just starting to shoot. With a 180 gr bullet goind around 725 fps it is an absolute pussycat.

However seeing as she says the 35 is too big then so is the 34.

I do second the cz, eaa, baby eagle guns as an option for small hands.

My wife shoots a G34 in IDPA and IPSC. A 147 gr bullet at 870 fps is very soft. The G35 would be a better choice as one can shoot more classes with it. The G35 is actually softer shooting than the G34 when loaded to a 130 pf.

I have a Kimber in .40. It is very soft shooting. IPSC would be Limited 10 and Single Stack. IDPA would be ESP only.

The XD also has a small grip. It may be smaller than the Glock.

You might want to look at Hicap + Minor.

I've seen many women start off shooting ipsc & my impression is that most of them would have the best combination of good hit factors and fun shooting if they had a gun that doesn't kick much & needs 1 mag change max for every stage.

Something like a CZ SP01 with 18-round mags in Limited division. Carried hammer back, safety on. Loads that go sub-sonic, like 125gr or 147gr bullets. She might love that combo.

There are alway exceptions - women who love Open or Singlestack, etc.

YMMV

I can't resist putting my 2 cents in. When choosing a gun or a load for a woman what matters most is what SHE thinks. You may swear up and down that the load you have for her is soft but if SHE doesn't think so..... it isn't.

My suggestion is to get as many different guns as you can (maybe you'll have to borrow some) and allow her to experiment. When I first starting shooting my brother literally emptied his gun safe and allowed me to try anything I wanted. I picked them all up and shot several of them and then made my selection. What fits HER hand and feels good to HER is the gun for HER. ;)

Best of luck. Shooting with your significant other is awesome!