Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In Need Of A Small Jr. Gun

haras

I'm trying to help a friend come up with a 9mm to start his daughter off with. She shoots stages with a 22 auto now. Which auto has the smallest circumference on the grip? Shortest length of pull?

also look at the S&W 3900 series, single stack 9mm, third gen.

the 3903 has an alloy frame if weight is an issue, 3906 is all stanless if its not.

it has a very slim grip area, although mag. capasity is only 9 in the mag.

The CZ is a winner in so many ways. My daughter shoots one and won't give it up even for the STI I have sitting in the safe. It fits her smaller hands well, has adequate mag capacity and thanks to Angus has sights that are on par with the best available. I've shot custom shop XD's and they were very nice. They were also $2k+ guns. For the money you cannot beat the CZ.

-Larry

She is shooting IPSC matches with a Walther P22 now and is great.

We tried a 1911 single stack with short trigger and the length of pull was a problem.

The circumference around the grip and the length of pull are a problem.

I hear you, the smith 3904 or 3906 with the straight back strap grips are alot smaller than a 1911. the LOP on the double action is going to be a reach, but in single action, the LOP is very short. any smith or factory trained armor familar with the smith autos can easily ruin the sear release lever, which would allow the gun to start in single action, hammer cocked, safety on.

My kids have tried my Glocks and the XD. They like the wifes choice of the Taurus 24/7 the best. I thought they were junk until I shot one. I am thinking of one for production shooting for myself.

Mike

Also, as comfortable as the CZ is, if small hands are the issue, then the Baby Eagle wins. Its a CZ derived design but the grip is cut deeper shortening the LOP.

Also, depending on what division she wants to shoot, some of the single stack 9mm guns may work too, like the SIG 239, which doesn't have enough rounds for production. You can get 10 round mags, but then you are shooting L10 minor.

I'd second what Vlad said about the Baby Eagle. The only problem is, they're hard to find with the frame mounted safety; I've only seen one. OTOH, if she's going to shoot production, then a slide-mounted decocker doesn't really matter.

My daughter is 6 years old and just loves to shoot with me. I have her shooting a Browning Buckmark with an ultra dot on it. I am having a heck of a time trying to find anything else she can shoot.

She is having a blast doing what she is doing now, so I haven't got to concerned yet.

My daughter is 6 years old and just loves to shoot with me. I have her shooting a Browning Buckmark with an ultra dot on it. I am having a heck of a time trying to find anything else she can shoot.

If it's a hand size issue with your daughter, look at the Beretta Neos. My wife has tiny hands, and tried a bunch of 22's. The Neos fit. Trigger needed some work, but

all in all a neat little gun. She went with the Glock 17 with a max grip reduction job

for a competion (USPSA) gun.

She went with the Glock 17 with a max grip reduction job for a competion (USPSA) gun.

Who reduced it, how?

I did the wife's. How? Just ground away everything that I could--leaving just enough to retain the magazine. Smoothed up, and wrapped in A-Grip (PURPLE!!!!!!). She likes it.

Put in a trigger take-up screw to shorten the reach to the trigger, built a magwell, machined a 5 port titanium comp for it, melted in a 7 moa Docter sight. Fun little gun.

Lot's of people do Glock grip reductions. I think there was a thread on it here a while back.

Not legal in production of course. If you are looking for a production division legal gun

take a look at the new S&W M&P. Had my hands on one a couple of hours ago. With the

small backstrap installed it's pretty slim. Trigger was so-so, and I could do without the

magazine safety, but it sure has possibilities. The 9mm version should be available soon.

Another one to consider is the Taurus 24/7.

Bill