Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My girlfriend's house was broken into yesterday. So I thought I'd revive this 3 year old thread.

I'm now considering having an alarm installed. My house only has attic space over about half of it. And currently there's no access, so I'd have to chop into it to even get there. I'm wondering if today, there are alarms systems that don't require running wires around the attic? Maybe WiFi sensors?

be

Brian,

Yes they have wireless systems(other than the main panel that requires power plug in transformer.) that work really well. I used to install security systems years ago that is how I met my wife. (she worked in the office of the same company)

but.... if they want in bad enough they will get in and have what they want in a flash before the police even show up.

That happened here at my work busted in and got a lot of s&*% and split and never where caught.

Not saying they don't work but I always thought it was more for when you are at home if you get my point.

Edit to add: The alarm goes off and once the signal is received the alarm company calls the home first, if no answer then they call the police a lot of time between this happening. So to actually catch the person or persons that broke in is pretty slim. Just my opinion.

:cheers:

BK

Edited by bkeeler

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit to add: The alarm goes off and once the signal is received the alarm company calls the home first, if no answer then they call the police a lot of time between this happening. So to actually catch the person or persons that broke in is pretty slim. Just my opinion.

An alarm company that calls the premesis FIRST is worthless IMO. What are they waiting for? :huh:CALL THE POLICE ... LIKE NOW DANGIT!!!

Brian you should be able to tell your alarm company to "dispatch without confirmation" ... or in other words CALL THE DANG POLICE FIRST. Anything else is a waste of time. Especially if you have a 10-20 minutes response time.

And there are plenty of wireless systems that are worth their weight in gold now days. Napco, Honeywell, Ademco. Just make sure an experienced, well trained installer does the work. No offense to the younger generation (because I was young (22) when i got into this biz) but the older the installer; usually means the more care they will take, and more attention to detail they have. Not to mention you want to have EVERYTHING explained as to how it works, so you know how to properly use the system.

A gun in each room & two barking ass jack russel"s

+1. Except my breed of choice will be the Dobermann Pinscher.

When a stranger approaches, Mr. Tucker transforms from the cutest thing ever to the most ferocious looking animal on the planet. But, he goes on trips with us sometimes.

Thanks for the input BK and Chris, especially the brand names.

Of the 3 you listed, would there be a preferred brand?

be

I had an alarm installed this year - lots of windows and doors, plus three motion detectors, a smoke detector and a CO detector. The power box, key pads and phone lines were hard wired, and everything else was remote - no need to run wires to every window and door.

I had an alarm installed this year - lots of windows and doors, plus three motion detectors, a smoke detector and a CO detector. The power box, key pads and phone lines were hard wired, and everything else was remote - no need to run wires to every window and door.

If you are happy with it, what brand is it?

be

Make note of any other wireless devices in your home before going to a wireless camera/security system, i.e. phones, wi-fi, etc. I tried a wireless security and camera system that didn't play nice with my wireless phone system. Ended up going with a wired camera/security system as a result. Different manufacturers obviously use different frequencies so almost impossible to say what will work with what. Suggest checking the frequency of existing wireless devices you may have before taking the plunge for a wireless security or camera system that may use the same frequency or one which might interfere.

Edited by cpty1

An alarm company that calls the premesis FIRST is worthless IMO. What are they waiting for? :huh:CALL THE POLICE ... LIKE NOW DANGIT!!!

Brian you should be able to tell your alarm company to "dispatch without confirmation" ... or in other words CALL THE DANG POLICE FIRST. Anything else is a waste of time. Especially if you have a 10-20 minutes response time.

And there are plenty of wireless systems that are worth their weight in gold now days. Napco, Honeywell, Ademco. Just make sure an experienced, well trained installer does the work. No offense to the younger generation (because I was young (22) when i got into this biz) but the older the installer; usually means the more care they will take, and more attention to detail they have. Not to mention you want to have EVERYTHING explained as to how it works, so you know how to properly use the system.

+++1 ....The average response time for a home alarm...depending on officer availabilty...is around 15 minutes. Sometimes less, sometimes more. The big problem is lag time. Your alarm company gets your alarm, they call dispatch, dispatch enters the run then sends one of us, then we go to your place. By the time all of these steps are complete and little else is going on in the city/town you are looking at 15 minutes. Of course you could always hire an officer to house sit while you are away. :mellow:

A gun in each room & two barking ass jack russel"s

+1. Except my breed of choice will be the Dobermann Pinscher.

When a stranger approaches, Mr. Tucker transforms from the cutest thing ever to the most ferocious looking animal on the planet. But, he goes on trips with us sometimes.

Thanks for the input BK and Chris, especially the brand names.

Of the 3 you listed, would there be a preferred brand?

be

Brian,

I would recommend Ademco.

Chris,

I agree with you but there still is a response time. How many alarm systems have actually caught the perp? The reason they call the home first is due to false alarms usually user error or weather (thunder storms). I ran service and installation I hated to be on call during thunder storms.

At least a 15min response time as stated above gives the perp plenty of time.....and they won't need much time if they know the lay out...which Brian's case maybe....

I am not saying they are not worth it. Just one persons opinions from being in the biz.(although it has been a while since I have installed alarms. since 2003 - 2004.

BK

You guys have got me thinkin... My main concern is my 3 work Macs.

My office windows (next to the railroad tracks are protected with (very cool looking) bars. The rest of the windows are visible from the street.

If the crooks had time to look around a bit, a few not too-high dollar pistols would be found. (The rest are in a safe.)

I have my 30" monitor and G5 Tower connected together with a steel cable that's laced through my desk/lock. (Learned that trick from a guy who owned a Mac store.) But either one could be cut with bolt cutters. But it would stop the smash and grab.

Joni's computer (Mac Mini) is expendable. (Sorry Joni.) There isn't anything on it that couldn't eventually be replaced from mine. We back up everything on both machines off site weekly. So the most we'd ever loose is a week.

The last Mac is laptop michele uses just for shipping/Endicia/printing.

Maybe I should replace the cable/lock for my machine/monitor with something that couldn't be cut with bolt cutters, hide or remove Michele's machine for trip-weekends and call it a day.

?

be

If you are happy with it, what brand is it?

be

I am happy with my system - installed and monitored by Protection One (a Bellsouth company)(I'm in Alabama). I've also had a Brinks system, and I liked them. I have had no problems running a semi-wireless alarm system along with wireless laptops, telephones, x-box, wii and the tv remote control.

My only experience with ADT was for a client who was not pleased at all with their commercial system or monitoring.

After the recent break in's I'm thinking the same thing. My company has had issues (that I won't go into) with ADT and I won't go to them. But there is so much money to be made with alarm monitoring that many companies will install the system free with a contract. Here is one suggestion to keep the costs down however.

If you mainly need an alarm system that will be on when you are away, you can skip putting sensors on the doors and windows and just put in motion detection. If you live in a two story house, you can zone this so that the downstairs can be on when you are upstairs.

Also, as long as you are doing this, put in some wired fire detection as well.

• 2 weeks later...
If you mainly need an alarm system that will be on when you are away, you can skip putting sensors on the doors and windows and just put in motion detection. If you live in a two story house, you can zone this so that the downstairs can be on when you are upstairs.

Also, as long as you are doing this, put in some wired fire detection as well.

Good point Graham. My worry times are only when I'm gone for a few days, with the Mr. Tucker (the dog).

Looking at my cabled through the desk together Mac/Monitor - I'd bet most thieves don't break in carrying bolt cutters. And there's enough other stuff for them to grab (that is insured) - if I go for the alarm, motion sensors would be a I'd need.

be

• 2 months later...

Ademco is good stuff. They've been around for years, are very reliable, and have lots to choose from - including wireless transmitters, if that helps you get the system in a little easier. :)

I used to be a do-it-yourself kinda guy, but now I'd rather pay a little more, and have something up and working in a couple hours versus spending a whole weekend trying to run wires every which way. It will still work just as good, either way.

Ademco is good stuff. They've been around for years, are very reliable, and have lots to choose from - including wireless transmitters, if that helps you get the system in a little easier. :)...............

+1 for Ademco

BK

IF you put in a system, in addition to doors, windows, glass break and motions, consider adding these nice "life safety devices"...

Detectors: Methane gas detector, CO (carbon Monoxide), smoke, fire, water.

In most homes, a gas and CO combo unint can be palced in a good spot (high) cover the whole house. Usually the same with smoke and fire, although preference to close proximity to sleeping rooms. Water, usually 3 water bugs will do it, one in the mechanical room, luandry room, under kitchen sink to cover the sink, water fitler and dishwasher.

I went wired in basement and main level and wireless upstairs. And yes I have a nice big protective dog AND safes.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm canx Brinks after 8 years of service. I now understand that they own the equipment :angry2: and want me to pay $500 to own it (after I've spent $2500 in monthly fees!)

I want to replace the keypad, control box and whatever else they decide to take when they come to deactivate.

What DIY system is recommended as a replacement (DSC, Linear, GE?) that can utilize the sensors/detectors that are hopefully left behind?

Just put in a wireless Visonic Powermax+ came with panel/keypad 3 magnetic sensors, one motion sensor, and 2 keyfob remotes. System can handel up to 28 wireless sensors and 2 hard wired sensors. many assecories are available such as fire, CO, water,temp etc... I bought mine from a privat party who never installed it but he bought it from "THE HOME SECURITY STORE" Instalation was rather easy and done in a couple of hours. You can also get monitoring service for around $8.00 a month if needed. The system can be set up to call you also so if you dont use monitoring at least you have been notified.