Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Got A Glock 35

rhgunguy

The gunstore owner whom I consider to be very knowledgeable told me that it was perfect in stock trim and I didn't need FLGRs and magwells or anything like that. He even said the gun could run worse. Is this true?

If it were your gun, what would you do to it?

Thanks in advance.

...and an RS trigger kit.

Your friend was sorta right. Most every mechanical thing will run most reliably in its stock configuration. However, there are several things you can do without hurting a Glock. Sights wont affect the function at all, a magwell wont, and good ammo is nessecary to make it work right. There are several trigger kits out there that have proven to be very effective. When you start playing with guide rods and springs some people have had problems, while others have had none. When you start experimenting with different combinations of trigger parts is where most people have the most trouble, IMO, so find a reputable kit and dont mess with it and you should be fine.

I've got a 34 I shoot in production. Sevigny rear sight, Dawson FBO front, RS trigger job. Runs great with just that and shoots better than I'm capable of. If I get a 35 and shoot in limited, I would do the above, with the magwell. Enjoy it and good shooting.

...and an RS trigger kit.

Your friend was sorta right. Most every mechanical thing will run most reliably in its stock configuration. However, there are several things you can do without hurting a Glock. Sights wont affect the function at all, a magwell wont, and good ammo is nessecary to make it work right. There are several trigger kits out there that have proven to be very effective. When you start playing with guide rods and springs some people have had problems, while others have had none. When you start experimenting with different combinations of trigger parts is where most people have the most trouble, IMO, so find a reputable kit and dont mess with it and you should be fine.

In stock configuration, there's a lot of "safety factors" built in. Meaning springs, for example, are far stronger than they need to be for reliable function. This results in a pistol that is reliable for a long long period of time without any maintenance. By tweaking some of these, we're shaving down the safety factors to make the pistol easier to shoot, but we're riding closer to the edge of unreliability. You just need to understand what the effects are of all the mods that are done, and understand that you're exchanging reliability for fine tuning. It's not that big of a deal. Just know that lighter springs will need to be changed more often than factory springs.

You asked what mods to make but it definitely depends on what sport/division you plan to shoot. I would definitely upgrade the sights no matter what. Trigger job/kit next. Then lighter recoil spring/new guiderod, holster, grip tape, or whatever else. Experiment to make the pistol fit you the way you like it.

Edited by splashdown

Here's what I've done with my 35 since I bought it.. It shoots like a champ.

1. RS Trigger kit

2. Wolff guide rod w/ 15# spring

3. Dawson FO front sight, Warren/Sevigny rear sight

4. JP Enterprise magwell

5. TR Graham match grade slide lock

Glocks are fun to customize.

Mine has:

Glockmeister trigger spring

Wolff reduced striker spring

Lots of stoning/polishing

Lone Wolf overtravel stop

KKM stainless barrel

Dawson FO front sight

Bomar rear sight

TruGrip

ICE magwell (sometimes I play with a THE brass magwell too)

ISMI tungsten guide rod

ISMI 13 lb recoil spring

Dawson extensions - CR Speed belt - Ghost holster - 773 mag pouches

1 - New sights

2 - TruGrip

3 - Ralph Sotelo, TriggerKit

Those mods are what I would do at minimum..

What Exiledviking said.

Later you can try a 13 LB ISMI spring and see how you like it.

The hardest part to install of those mentioned is the Trugrip.

The trigger kit is easiest.

http://www.triggerkit.com/categoryNavigati...oryStyle=Style1

Travis F.

For any USPSA division, I would make the following changes:

1. Absolutely, change those crappy plastic sights. Most people like the Dawson FO front sight with whatever you are comfortable with for a rear sight; Dawson adjustable, Bo-mar adj, Heine, or Svigney (sp).

2. Non-captured stainless steel or tungesten guide rod with which ever spring you feel comfortable with. I prefer the 15# IMSI. lightens recoil, but still has good reliable lock-up. The 17# is just too heavy for me, and the 13# sometimes feels too light in lock-up for my taste. This is second on my list because the factory rod is susseptible to breaking.

3. Trugrip pre-cut grip tape.

4. RS Trigger kit. I would do this last, but the difference you will feel is extreme. It's last because I think you could easily shoot competitively without it. BUT... once you decide to do this mod, every other glock trigger will feel heavy and sluggish.

For USPSA Limited/Limited 10, I would make the additional changes:

1. MAGWELL! either a Dawson ICE or an SJC. The Dawson is fairly new, and I've heard there are some issues with some of the mag extensions, but this can be overcome with some strategic filing. I've never heard of anyone having a problem with an SJC, and this is what I'm putting on my G24.

2. Mag extensions. Even if you shoot Limited 10, you will need something to lengthen the mags for the magwell. Taylor Freelance, Grams, Arrendondo. Don't bother with the Dawson, Lightning strike, or any other. MUST have the Wolff +10% springs in the mags with the extensions.

3. KKM Match Grade Barrel. Tighter fit, more accurate, and a lot better for your brass if you are going to reload.

Lastly, it really comes down to what you want to do to make the gun feel better when you shoot. Some people are less picky about the feel, and just shoot it stock with little to no changes. For me, playing around with the gun is half the fun, so I like to try new and different parts until I find what is best for me.

FWIW

In stock configuration, there's a lot of "safety factors" built in. Meaning springs, for example, are far stronger than they need to be for reliable function. This results in a pistol that is reliable for a long long period of time without any maintenance. By tweaking some of these, we're shaving down the safety factors to make the pistol easier to shoot, but we're riding closer to the edge of unreliability. You just need to understand what the effects are of all the mods that are done, and understand that you're exchanging reliability for fine tuning. It's not that big of a deal. Just know that lighter springs will need to be changed more often than factory springs.

You asked what mods to make but it definitely depends on what sport/division you plan to shoot. I would definitely upgrade the sights no matter what. Trigger job/kit next. Then lighter recoil spring/new guiderod, holster, grip tape, or whatever else. Experiment to make the pistol fit you the way you like it.

Well said! :)

Here is my set-up:

Glock-35 Tactical/Practical

Sights: AmeriGlo adj. Rear, .90" front blade

Springs: Wolff 14# recoil, Wolff 4# striker

Trigger: Lightning Strike Aluminum- polished, Wolff extra power return spring

Connector: Glockmeister- polished

Guide rod: T.H.E., Ext. Tungston

Barrel: 5.3” SS KKM match

Safety: Lightning Strike titanium plunger, reduced power Wolff spring

Slide Stop: Lone Wolf hardchromed std length, hardchromed 3-pin kit

Striker: OEM-Modified/polished

Finish: Hard Chromed, forward cocking serrations (NHO)

Grips: Tru-Grip- Eric Wesselman

Magazine release: Aro-Tec Extended aluminum

Magwell: S&J Custom, aluminum

Modifications: Rounded and relieved trigger guard, shortened trigger pre-travel

Magazines: OEM Hi-capacity

Basepads: Arrendondo +5, red

Belt: CR-Speed- red

Holster: CR-Speed- red

Mag Pouch: CR-Speed- red

post-5009-1144094319.jpgpost-5009-1144094344.jpgpost-5009-1144094368.jpg

Oh yeah, my mods for Limited div:

Sights: Dawson adj target rear/FO front

Recoil Spring: 15 lb ISMI, cut 2 coils

Trigger: NHO

Connector: Ghost Rocket, thinned by NHO

Guide Rod: THE Ext. Tungsten

Barrel: 5.3 in CGR Fitted Barsto

Magwell: Alum Dawson Ice

Mag Extensions: Dawson red/blue

Mag Release: JP

Holster: Kytac attached to Blade-Tech DOH belt loop

Mag Pouch: Comp-Tac Beltfeed

Remove the mag extensions, magwell, and mag release and I'm good to go for production div.

splashdown

The gunstore owner whom I consider to be very knowledgeable told me that it was perfect in stock trim and I didn't need FLGRs and magwells or anything like that. He even said the gun could run worse. Is this true?

If it were your gun, what would you do to it?

Aside from the Sotelo trigger kit...... I'd get a EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel and shoot the hell out of it. People like Midway and CDNN are dumping Glock factory ten-round 9mm mags for about $15, so stock up.

Actually, that's what I did with my new G35. It's so accurate and easy to shoot I ordered a scope mount bracket and a red dot just to be able to shoot it open. Shooting it is a hoot, and with 9mm ammo, it doesn't cost that much.

My G21 has Heinie sights, factory 3.5lbs. connector, factory extended mag release, factory extended slide release and a Briley drop in barrel so I can shoot lead bullets. Other than that...it's good to go for Production Division.

If I didn't have a ton of 185g lead bullets already...I wouldn't have swapped the barrel out.

myguns0024fy.jpg

My G35 Limited,

Ghost polished trigger set,

Tru Glo Fiber optic/tritium sights

Grip Tape

Mag Well

Tungston Guid Rod with new spring

Arredondo extended Base Pads

It aint pretty but it shoots :D

jbullgpd -

How do you like those Tru Glo Fiber optic/tritium sights? I thought they might be cool for a carry piece. How wide is the front sight?

Thanks!

Don't know how wide but I can try to find that for ya, no calipers here at the moment. I love them though. I regularly shoot a Thursday night match here where I am and the triitum comes in handy and during the day they are very bright as well. I have decided to put them on all my carry guns. I have been very impressed with them. Strange that no one else has caught onto the idea, I mean really glows during the day and night, can't beat that......:)