Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Icore Shooters?

encoreman

<_< I am going to 1st ICORE match in Thibodaux and have a question. I am from the hose em down bottomfeeder mentality. Now I understand that accuracy is the key in ICORE, like it ain't in IPSC LOL. Suppose on a stage with unlimited round count, one misses the target completely once and gets 1 hit. Do you try to make up the shot or not? Help!! Thanks :blink:

<_< I am going to 1st ICORE match in Thibodaux and have a question. I am from the hose em down bottomfeeder mentality. Now I understand that accuracy is the key in ICORE, like it ain't in IPSC LOL. Suppose on a stage with unlimited round count, one misses the target completely once and gets 1 hit. Do you try to make up the shot or not? Help!! Thanks :blink:

encoreman, 5 seconds is hard to make up. That is the penalty for a hit required not made (miss). You must hit 99% A's. To shoot well in ICORE you have to have confidence in your ability to make A hits, so if you are looking at the target after you have finished you are taking up too much time. Hit the A as fast as you can :ph34r: (easy said) and you will do well. And whatever you do do not make up an A hit with a Noshoot, huh underlug? I wish I could join you at the Thibodaux match but alas it is a bit tight for me. We will await the results. :)

I feel your pain encoreman! I just went to my first ICORE in Arkansas. Yes, you "HAVE" to slow down. I tried thinking of the A-zone as a plate, but still shot too fast. Maybe think of the "B" zone as a NoShoot. The one course that had hardcover all around the A-zone came out real good for me.

You're shooting way too fast if you miss the target. You need to concentrate on the "A"zone. And worrying whether you need to make up that B or C, not a miss.

DO NOT spray and pray. Be Deliberate, is the best advice. But, hey don't sweat it there will be many others trying to either slow down or trying to squeeze out that last "A". Remember that when the buzzer goes off, you will revert to your old ways. So, just keep thinking Deliberate and READ your sights, you need A's, not C's or worse.

It was fun though and it is kind of a trip being amongst nothing but wheelgunners. You won't feel like the odd man out anymore.

Good Luck!

Mac, Hank and I practiced on 6" paper plates today. We figure they will have 9" steel in Thibodaux so we practiced harder than we anticipate to shoot. Tha small plates make you shoot slower. Stapled a new plate in front instead of pasting. Stapled them on a 2x2 between two sawhorses 9" apart. At 10 yards it is like shooting 9" at 15 yards.

He had some D1 tombstone targets also. Slow down 3 clicks and aim just below center of mass. B)

Encoreman, think about it........

ICORE is TIME PLUS(basicly) so you really can't miss fast enough to win there!!!! ;)

A miss is 5 seconds like Cliff said.....so if it takes you and extra 1 second to get the correct shot off or even make up a miss.....(with a -0) you are way ahead of the game.

Now....If you can run the stage 8 seconds faster than the stage winner......a miss doesn't hurt too much! :)

Good luck, JUST AIM.....as a friend of mine likes to say! B)

HOP

Edit ti add:

but what do I know???? I'm just some dummy that shoots!....Bottomfeeders at that!

Edited by hopalong

Haras, So we are supposed to "practice" well then maybe that's part of my problem. Oh well it may take me awhile to slow down to the Icore way of doing things. BTW does Jerry slow down to shoot Icore?? I guess it's like DJarrel says don't miss and ya win. Thanks Guys

haras, afaik, any steel plates will be 8"
Yeah, I knew that. Thanks Scooter

I had 9" on the brain because we also had 9" paper plates (standard size) with us. BTW Mac, we made a couple of runs on the 9" plates before moving to the 6".

Edited by haras

Haras, So we are supposed to "practice" well then maybe that's part of my problem. Oh well it may take me awhile to slow down to the Icore way of doing things. BTW does Jerry slow down to shoot Icore?? I guess it's like DJarrel says don't miss and ya win. Thanks Guys

If he does it ain't much. But he has shot stages just to survive, Where there is not much to win but a lot to lose.

I was once told by Jerry M that if you slow down you will shoot faster. Shoot A's as fast as you can but don't over run them. If you shoot 3 targets with 2 shots each and run that in 4 seconds but you only get 2 A's, 2 B's and 2 C's your total score is 4 seconds + 2 for the B's and 4 for the C's = 10. Now if you slowed down and shot 6 seconds and 6 A's, total score is 6 seconds + 0 for 6 A's = 6. You saved 4 points for shooting slower. Now I don't think that Jerry would shoot that slow it was just good advice to listen to. Hope this helps.

IF you take the time to be accurate, you will be successful at ICORE. Practice your reloads, because that is where you can make some raw time without sacrificing accuracy. I am a bottom-feeding USPSA shooter, and I love ICORE, and don't do horrible when I shoot it.

Hey underlug, I see that bubber is spilling some beans on you huh? Ya know you can screw-up 1 time and they'll tell the world. Thanks for the good advice gentlemen, maybe I can slow myself down and at least not be in last place.

Hey underlug, I see that bubber is spilling some beans on you huh? Ya know you can screw-up 1 time and they'll tell the world. Thanks for the good advice gentlemen, maybe I can slow myself down and at least not be in last place.

Bubber has a lot more beans on me to spill and will have more after this year's IRC. Welcome to Revolver world. The people here are the best

Actually Fomeister is a Wheel gunner in Denial! :wub:

He just can't seem to jump in the pool of sharks.....Pretty bad when the biggest Division in USPSA is Limited...And having folks like Shannon Smith, Travis Thomasie, Bryant Chaffin, and a few other somewhat known Limited hot shots out there. And is hesitant to jump into a smaller pool of lesser known but just as aggressive sharks! ;)

JUMP on In Mike!!!!!! The water's fine!!! :P (YOU TOO DAJERRELL)

There are plenty of folks to help you swim........the Airedales, Zookeeper, Lefty45, Bubber, Waltermitty, NEMO, Some guy named Jerry......YOU get it, I'm pretty sure. :D

HOP

Hop aint kidding either, Fomiester is a sleeper is there ever is one. He tries to play you off with this "good-ole-Kentucky-boy-lets-all-be-friends-and-shoot" thing, but when that buzzer goes off its all business. He said it right about taking time to be accurate. Also, I havent ever seen reloads make a huge difference in an IPSC match, they always will in an ICORE match.

Edited by Kimberkid