Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wet Weather Gear

iweiny

After shooting in the pouring rain on Sunday my wife and I have decided to invest in some wet weather gear. We both have Gortex jackets but hers is too small to go around the loaded up gun belt, and mine is a bit small but is insulated so although it worked well on Sunday it does not work well if it is not cold.

What I am thinking is a parka style jacket, Gortex, and just a shell; no insulation. Gortex pants with zippers on the side for easy on/off.

The other option is a very light Gortex shell which could be tucked into the pants while shooting.

I have a co-worker who does a lot of camping and has recomended this:

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?prod=2386

However, they are in the $300 range and I know that Cabellas sells Gortex much cheaper. The problem with Cabellas is my current parka is from there and I really did not want something with this much insulation. It is hard to really tell what you get sometimes. But if someone else had something which they swear by... :D

Opinions?

Thanks,

Ira

If you have a REI in your area they have the Seirra Design pants and jacket. I think that I spent $80 for the pants and jacket. It's just a shell, so it's good in the summer. I use them for anything in the rain. I just couldn't spend $400 for the premium gortex stuff from North Face.

REI

Edited by .40AET

Try looking where the golfers go to buy stuff. They are out in rain and heat. I have a great GoreTex jacket with lots of ventilation, plus matching pants.

Do a Campmor or Sierra Trading Post search so you do not have to pay retail. NOTHING is better than Gortex IMHO. I prefer The North Face or Marmot brands. 2ply or 3 ply Gortex works best. BTW: I was in WA for three of the wettest months ever, my TNF was great. It is large enough to work over a holter also. I have had a couple of different types of "water proof" jackets, Gortex has never let me down. Spend the extra money for it. Arcteryx is a great product but the cost is way to high for the value.

My favorite for the all day rainstorm is a 1 piece Motorcycle rainsuit. The only drawback is they aren't designed for a lot of exertion so look for one with the largest vents you can find. They are very comfortable since they are designed for sitting down and generally offer a good range of movement. Best of all you wear your gun rig on the outside so you don't have to take off the jacket to shoot.

I use a TourMaster, but they come in just about every price range like the Teknic Chicane for $23.

Rainsuits

Rainsuit Review

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

After getting wet before with my rain jacket that was not waterproof, I decided to invest in a rain jacket. I went to REI and I found a nice 2 piece Columbia jacket. It had an inner liner and the outer shell. I took the inner liner out since I don't like to get too warm while I shoot. With me I usually wear a kangaroo sweater with a hood and that is usually what gets tucked under my belt and I wear the waterproof jacket over the gunbelt. I also wear goretex over pants that cost about $100 that are made by Marmot. Add waterproof boots to that mix and I keep pretty dry. I've threatened to wear my hip boots at Richmond when the puddles are as big as the shooting bays :D

Vince

+1 on Frogg Toggs. I take one or two trips across several states per year on my motorcyle and that's what I wear. Keeps the water out, light weight, folds down to practically nothing, and they are breathable. Lots of suits will keep water from getting inside, but you end up wet from sweat since they don't let air circulate. The Toggs have millions of little holes that air can get through but water can't.

...I prefer The North Face or Marmot brands...

+1 on the Marmot - lightweight, large enough to go over gear, and very reasonably priced. An unlined coat and pair of rain pants are a standard bit of my shooting kit...

...I was in WA for three of the wettest months ever...

Heard ya'. Us Great NorthWet natives issue from the womb in GoreText swaddling clothes :D

BTW - snag an Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero while you're at it - might be the best money I ever spent, considering the ambient conditions where I live...

• 3 years later...

Merlin: Get some military Gore-Tex Jacket and pants. They are the best for the money. There is s surplus store that sells that stuff near Hooters in Corpus. I know you know where Hooters is :roflol: I have a jacket I leave in my car all the time. Also you can look at Frogg Toggs for warmer rain gear. Thanks, Eric

Merlin,

I have two sets of FrogToggs. One I keep in my truck that is actually the size I wear and one set that I intentionly bought one size larger to accomidate shooting gear, cold weather clothing and my hunting gear I wear.

fwiw

dj