Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading On The Move

bierman

I have tried the search feature on this, with no luck, so if this is re-hashing an old topic, I apologize.

Where should you focus on when making a reload on the move? The gun/mag or where you are heading/stopping? I am finding that I tend to focus on my gun/mag while moving and less on where my next shooting position is. And before I get blasted, my skills are not quite up to shooting and moving at the same time at high (for me) speed. I tend to favor getting to my position as quick as I can and make the accurate shot from there. Baby steps, right?

Personally, I'm not coordinated enough to do both at the same time. I try to break it into two seperate phases. First, I get the new mag in as quickly as possible (in dry fire I can do this before my first step is complete) and then I concentrate on moving quickly to my next position and setting up smoothly before shooting. Hope this helps.

My attempts at reloading on the move go like this: as soon as I've called my shot I get my feet moving, and at the same time I press the mag catch.

They're sort of contemporaneous events.

But, my main focus is on moving my left hand to the mag pouch the fastest possible way: at least this is the feeling I'm conscious of. I don't recall focusing on releasing the spent mag or on moving out of the firing position, just on grabbing that new mag.

Then, after doing this, what I'm conscious of is the relaxation of my hands and forearms muscles: while firing, I grip my gun pretty hard, but I experienced that if I don't relax the hands and forearms muscles, I have a tendency to fumble the reload; if I get this feeling of relaxed hands, the new mag goes in in a swift and smooth movement.

By doing this, I've been consistently able to complete the reload before the second step.

So, to sum it up, my initial focus is on getting the new mag, then it's on relaxing the muscles (and seeing the magwell/frame joint line of course... ;) ).

After the shot release the mag and get my feet moving and at the same time do a reload then sprint for the next position. run forrest run! :) I've been consistenly able to complete my reload before the second step like Luca.

When I first started shooting I didn't understand the value of getting the load done ASAP. Now I know the biggest mistake I can make is to haul butt with the attitude that I have plenty of time to get the load done, because it unneccessarily redirects my attention for way too long.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I have been trying to think of the reload kinesthics in the same way as the upper body shooting platform. In the same way you try to keep the relative positions of your arms/gun/head/body the same as you transition from target to target, the same way you try to isolate the movement of the lower body from the upper, I'm trying to "float" my upper body above my lower body movement as I make the reload. I try to make each separate, admittedly not so easy when you take a step and the gun and mag in your hands bounce. Best then, to get the reload done before the first step. I'm still trying to float at least for that first half of a step, though (hope I'm on the right track).

I hate to state this as a negative example, but...

If you find that the reload is using up all the steps that you have to do it in...you are doing it wrong. ;)

I like how Brian said it. That is something I can visualize into my plan.

Basically what Brian and Jake and Flex said is what Todd teaches. I always thought it would be slower, but if you try it, it actually faster. You think you have time and wind up getting to the box and you're not finished with the reload yet.

Todd always said to finish the shot, reload first and then move. Do 1 thing at a time.

If you look at Eric Grauffel, he frequently uses the available time/distance to perform the reload. And he is always ready to shoot when he arrives at the next shooting position.

I like to get moving ASAP and then do the reload on the way to the next position. As long as I’m ready to shoot when I arrive, I really don’t care when/were the reload happens.

If you look at Eric Grauffel, he frequently uses the available time/distance to perform the reload. And he is always ready to shoot when he arrives at the next shooting position.

I like to get moving ASAP and then do the reload on the way to the next position. As long as I'm ready to shoot when I arrive, I really don't care when/were the reload happens.

What I've found is that if I do my reload and then concentrate on moving I move twice as fast as I do if I'm reloading "On the move". Every top shooter that I see reloads and then moves, sometimes as they are taking their first step but they don't take their time and reload "while" they are running/moving from position to position. This keeps your mind on footwork and allows you to prep the shot early when entering the next shooting position.

Brian said it just the way that it should be done.

I recommend getting the "2005 Nationals Limited Super Squad" video and watching it. 99% of their reloads are completed before their first step is complete.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I sure am glad everone else had all the right things to say ............ cause when I saw this thread my 1st thought was "clamp a 550 on your tail-gate and you're good to go!"

;)

I know, I know ..... nobody likes a smart-a$$

Yeah, your avitar tells all. :P

Every top shooter that I see reloads and then moves,

Every one except the best one :D . Really, if you've seen Eric shoot, it's very obvious that he DOES reload on the move. He often finishes his reload just before entering a shooting position. It can't be TOO bad a technique...

Just because he is the world champ doesn't mean he does everything right. He is an incredibly good shooter, but honestly there are many things about his technique I don't like at all.

Eric Grauffel wins because he is the most consistent shooter in the world.

Edited by Jake Di Vita

What Jake said.

EG is one of the only people to shoot a 50+ ounce open gun made by TZ, with a finger-forward grip, scooping out-then-up on every presentation, and using isometric push-pull tension [as in: Ross Seyfried] and doing it well. He shoots so much that it all works for him. Like, 1000 rds/day before major matches.

What Flex is saying is ask yourself for each task in a stage, "What do I want to do next & do I want to focus in on that & get it done now?" - it's a mindset that TJ teaches.

What Jake said.

EG is one of the only people to shoot a 50+ ounce open gun made by TZ, with a finger-forward grip, scooping out-then-up on every presentation, and using isometric push-pull tension [as in: Ross Seyfried] and doing it well. He shoots so much that it all works for him. Like, 1000 rds/day before major matches.

What Flex is saying is ask yourself for each task in a stage, "What do I want to do next & do I want to focus in on that & get it done now?" - it's a mindset that TJ teaches.

Yes. You must see the stage as a whole and where and when you will do your reloads, then follow through, in fluid natural motion.

I like to see my shots to be called and mags to be changed together with what approximate position my body (feet/torso) will be at, to eliminate awkwardness of motion before execution. It is important for me to know which foot will lead out of a shooting position into the next. In doing so I try to include the normal "stradling/movement" coordination/synchronization between the walking sway of arms and legs to achieve this "unison". If I follow this logical rythm between hands and legs the reload motion will be absorbed into it. The distance is unimportant, as focusing in that fluidity would be hindered should you interrupt/disrupt to slow and go as you reload loosing valuable time. I have a gross left knee weakness, so it helps being right handed and right footed, as I will try whenever possible to lead with my right foot and anchor with my left as I shift weight. Doing so, and following normal fluid body motion my left hand would tend to move down (towards and to grab the magazine) in unison with my right foot, and as my left foot moves forward my gun hand moves backwards some (to mag chance position) at the same time that my left foot in coordination/unison with my left hand (with mag in it) surges forward to meet the gun inserting the mag in a natural cadence. This is done using the natural body motions you would use normally anyway. Right foot, then left foot and mag change is done. (This would be the opposite of a normal "both hands free" arms/legs sway/straddle, but remember that you can't sway both arms as you walk with gun in hand/s) Now you are free to focus/move to the next target and arrive there with your gun and body in position for the next shot ... and so forth. Ah, if I could only sprint normally it would be Utopia! But that would only imply that my shooting accurately would go in hand too!?! Maybe with a little bit more practice I can get that great blend of fluid motion and accuracy together. :wacko:;)B)

(Edited to add: Static mag changes suck because you have no readily available body motions into which you could interject the mag changes.)

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

you should focus on the magazine well any time you want to put a magazine in it.

Reloading on the move for many shooters is Moving and reloading, much like shooting on the move where as your focus is split between 2 distinct skills.

I feel that it is just as important to have that blazing fast reload out of a position as it is when static. If you watch Jake, myself and a few other top shooters you will see the reload is done before the second step is over with. we are reloading as our momentum is building. this way the reload is finished before we start the body jarring fast running and by allowing us to focus on going into the next position.