Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Draws And Reloads

Jake Di Vita

Jake..

thanks for sharing those..so much information in them to watch...

love the videos on your website too...love seeing it all put together on a stage...

now I gotta go practice..lots of practice.. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other drills that I also do that I will post a video of which is incredible for developing handspeed and hand / eye coordination.

Excellent - looking forward to that :)

The par time set on the draw is .7. The draws are probably coming in anywhere from .63 - .68.

What can I say, but... frickin' sweet! :D

Thanks for the comparison to Travis! That is probably the best compliment I could get as he is one of my heroes in the shooting world.

You make a meaner face than TT, though... that's extra style points, in my book :lol:

Dave,

I'm having trouble making the video work simply because the camera isn't picking up what I'm doing so I'll just post the drill here.

All you need are 3 quarters. Place your palm face down and line the quarters on the back of your hand. One of the tip of your fingers, one by your middle finger's knuckle, and one by your wrist. The drill is standing with your arm out-stretched, slightly tossing the quarters up and then catching them one at a time before they hit the ground. Make sure you have a seperate hand movement for each quarter.

Once you get consistent with that, move up to 4 quarters. ;)

Let me know if this makes sense or you have any questions.

Do you flip up one quarter then catch it, and repeat with the other two, or throw all three (using 3 throws or one?) before catching all 3? With the same hand? Sounds like a great way to irritate downstairs neighbors.. too bad I don't have any anymore..

Makes sense - just to clarify, you say "slightly throw" the coins?? Like, how high off the back of your hand? A foot or so? Sounds like a good drill - I need to go dig up some quarters and give it whirl :)

One other thing that's helped my reloads immensely (and I think Pierruiggi might already be doing...). Drill reloads with the most unforgiving platform you can find. In my case, a single stack 1911... :lol: It's really helped me build consistency in positions and angles, and in getting all the little details right - cause there's no room for slop. If you can find one to play with, highly recommended (fight through the inevitable frustration... it's worth it).

Going to a fat gun, the only difference I notice is an initial hesitation upon seating the mag for the first couple of reloads - I find myself thinking "Wow, I'm done w/ the reload? That was easy!!! D'oh, get on target!"....

Yes, I use a single stack 1911 with no mag funnel, only flared magwell because that's what I've got. (before that I used my trusty, loyal Ballester Molina :D:ph34r: )

If I had a high cap gun (and it would be my preferred competition gun), I would still practice some with the singlestack because of what you said, it's unforgiving; but I would keep the ratio to 1 reload with the singlestack every 4 with the highcap; or 10 minutes with the SS versus 45 with the high cap. Something like that. So, it's ok to vary things a bit by practicing with equipment that's "harder" to use, or that forces you to be as technically correct as possible, but I would give more priority to the equipment I would actually use in competition.

And yes, the few times I've shot with a borrowed high cap, it feels like tossing a pebble down an elevator shaft. :P Ok, ok, not THAT exagerated...

BTW, that coin thingy is driving me nuts! (and the rest of my family too, since I decided trying it at 1:00AM).

Edited by Pierruiggi

Let me know what you guys think.

I am so jealous and full of envy, I almost want to tell you...ooops, it's a family forum.

Jake, that is without a doubt the most picture perfect reload I have ever seen, period. When you reload, do you consiously shift your focus into going for the magazine or does it just happen?

Ron,

Thanks bud!

Honestly, it just happens. I have probably done over a million dry fire reloads in the past year or so.

For me, the thing the really makes me go for the mag quick is remembering to start the reload as soon as you call the last shot.

One other thing that's helped my reloads immensely (and I think Pierruiggi might already be doing...). Drill reloads with the most unforgiving platform you can find. In my case, a single stack 1911... :lol: It's really helped me build consistency in positions and angles, and in getting all the little details right - cause there's no room for slop. If you can find one to play with, highly recommended (fight through the inevitable frustration... it's worth it).

Going to a fat gun, the only difference I notice is an initial hesitation upon seating the mag for the first couple of reloads - I find myself thinking "Wow, I'm done w/ the reload? That was easy!!! D'oh, get on target!"....

I actually think it is the shooter that must be less forgiving.. making sure that you see what you need to see each time. doing that I have went from a double stack to a single stack and actually improved my reloads...

If you want a really hard gun to reload. reload a Para those th ings are attrocious square hole square mag without a mag well it's scarry!

awesome videos jake. great size for posting even from dialup

I actually think it is the shooter that must be less forgiving..

This is true - my point was that using a gun that forces the learning of that focus on the right things doesn't give you any room to be sloppy and *assume* that everything is correct. If it isn't correct, you're going to immediately know when the mag doens't go in... ;)

And, yeah, Paras w/o a mag well are pretty darn tricky, too - they're not that easy w/ a magwell, either... :lol:

• 7 months later...