Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hitting Mag Release With Left Thumb

ATMester

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to this forum and if I posted this post in the wrong section moderators please move it.

So here is the thing:

I'm 6' and 210 lbs no small by any means but I do have small hands. I'm right handed.

When I do a reload (full size 1911) I can not hit the magazine release with my right tumb without shifting my grip.

So I use my left thumb... and I can keep my grip with my right hand in the meantime.

Question:

Am I way off the proper way, how it should be done?

Anybody else having the same problem-what's your solution?

Any opinion - help appreciated.

Edited by TheHun

Welcome to the Forums!

There was a topic about this not to long ago. Search is your friend. I'm too lazy to look it up however so:

My advice would be to shift your grip and hit the button with the right thumb. I have rather large and lanky hands and I still shift my grip so I can give an assertive push on the button. If you don't immediatly get your weak hand moving to the new magazine, you are already a tenth or two behind the curve. If you have trouble getting your grip again after shifting, practice some more :)

Or, if your fingers are flexible enough, you can do like some and use the middle finger of your right hand from under the trigger guard. It may feel awkward at first, but if you can reach under, you won't be shifting the rest of your grip at all.

And welcome to the Forums!

Kevin C

Or, you could contact Jimmy Mitchell at Mitchell Custom Guns/Bulletworks (www.bulletworks.com). He makes a right-hand mag release that requires no fitting.

I have one in each of my competition pistols. I love them.

Liota

D.R. Middlebrook teaches that technique. While admitting it may not be as fast. Using your left thumb is one of those Allways works techniques like slingshotting the slide. bring gun in hit mag release sweep heal of left hand down front of grip catching the front lip of the magazine and sweeping down to the mag pouch for the new mag. Although if everything is perfect and your mag actually drops free every time the right thumb drop can be faster. the left thumb method will eliminate any lost time if a mag doesnt drop.

I'm left handed and have always used my trigger finger to push the mag release. I think your best bet will be a ambi mag release and use your trigger finger. one thing though, I've found that extended mag release buttons don't work as I can sometime push them whilst gripping the pistol and have to stoop down to pick the mag up! so just use a standard factory style.