Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot Show

Randy Lee

Hello all,

Back from the SHOT Show and was wondering if anyone else went and saw anything new for us BE revo shooters.

The only thing I saw of an unusual nature was Smith's 327 TRR(Tactical Response Revolver).

Now you too can have a Surfire light attached to your favorite 8 shot. :blink:

Don't be surprised if you see Taurus coming out with an unported 6.5" 8 shot 9mm revolver...

I accomplished my goals for the show plus a bit more. I got to spend some time talking with Rob, Jerry and Jim Rae and Herb Belin.

I even had the opportunity to talk with Mr. Sweeney in between his photo shoots. Patrick, thanks for the very kind introduction to Mr. Belin.

Now that Jerry and Robbie have pressed the issue of 9mm cylinders, would anyone be interested in 9mm Ti cylinders to retrofit their 627 .357 guns? From a manufacturing standpoint as well as profitability for Smith, this would make the most sense for them to do.

Also, there will hopefully be some engineering design changes to the 625 and 325 cylinders based upon discussions with Mr. Belin and Mr. Rae which seemed to go well. At least the door is open to discussion regarding competition revolver setup.

Edited by Randy Lee

A tactical revolver :blink::blink: Well I guess you could say their at least thinking of us !

So Taurus comes out with a 9mm revo, and you want S&W to make 9mm replacement

cylinders ?? For the price they'll want to charge we could probably buy the Taurus and a

couple dozen Hearthco Moonclips :D I also see the lawyers getting way to envolved with

that happening, unless S&W does the conversion.

Randy ?? maybe you need to set your sights on revamping one of those new Taurus 9mm

revo's to be the revo to buy !!

And then after that maybe they'll listen and make a 6 inch 45 ACP revo......

or heaven forbid....maybe a moonclipped 6 shot 40 in a medium frame with a decent

site radius :wacko: :wacko:

So what is S&W going to follow up the new/old Model 29 with ??

Maybe a J frame 32 H&R snubby :P

Sorry, just finished reading my American Handgunner last night, the one with the new/old

Mod 29 and the new 22-whatever, don't get me wrong, I think it's great to see new revo's

coming out. I guess the marketing guru's know more about this than anyone else.

What the hell, 10,000 S&W 500 mag owners can't be wrong ;)

Now that Jerry and Robbie have pressed the issue of 9mm cylinders, would anyone be interested in 9mm Ti cylinders to retrofit their 627 .357 guns?

1x raised hand here. I would sure like to get one of those and I am sure I am not the only one.

Neal in AZ

"And then after that maybe they'll listen and make a 6 inch 45 ACP revo......

or heaven forbid....maybe a moonclipped 6 shot 40 in a medium frame with a decent

site radius"

Now that would be a fine idea. I'm a Smith guy, personally, but I like the idea of competition - even between brands.

Now a carbon steel Mountain Gun in .45 ACP - that would be cool.

Edited by Carlos

Yeah, Taurus will have to ramp up the QC quite a ways if they want to compete in the competition marketplace. Ask Tom Drazy, he was actually sponsored by Taurus and shot their revolvers in competition (when he could keep them working), once upon a time....

Yeah, Taurus will have to ramp up the QC quite a ways if they want to compete in the competition marketplace. Ask Tom Drazy, he was actually sponsored by Taurus and shot their revolvers in competition (when he could keep them working), once upon a time....

I forgot that part Mike, yes I agree, the new revo's have to stand up to the use.

I shot thier 24/7 out at the SC last year, I liked it, nice feeling gun and nice trigger,

and the sucker worked all day long.

And ya know what I just thought of :blink: , as a serf in the PR of MA I don't think I can own

a Taurus revolver <_<

I did stir the pot a little. I sorta mentioned to Taurus's CEO that there has been a lot of interest in the 9mm revolver lately and that Smith was somewhat hesitant. He seemed interested, especially after Michael Bane and Lisa Farrell spoke with him.

I'm pretty sure Taurus will beat Smith to the punch on this one. They seem more open to outside sources of input in regards to their product development. Perhaps they're just hungry for the competition revolver marketshare. With any luck, the "X" version will end up in a shop somewhere's in CA.

At the show, their 1911, SA Gaucho and the 24/7 made quite the impressions perhaps their revolvers are next for improvement?

Now a carbon steel Mountain Gun in .45 ACP - that would be cool.

Well they kinda did Carlos, take the 22-whatever, put a different front sight on, maybe mill

the top strap for an adjustable sight (or Bowen's J frame type rear sight ?)

Some hand filling grips and presto!

I know, I'd like to buy it that way from Smith too.....

But hey, i'd like to buy a performance center revolver with a decent trigger for my

$800 - $1000 also :D

Edited by 10mmdave

At the show, their 1911, SA Gaucho and the 24/7 made quite the impressions perhaps their revolvers are next for improvement?

Taurus does have some meaningful history of supporting the competitive handgun sports (years ago they were big contributors to the bowling pin shoots)....their attitude toward us has always been good....they just haven't quite had the right products in the past for what we do.

I think it would be great if Taurus made a real effort to design stuff with us in mind.

Ruger too.

site radius ...

I thought the 646 fit that bill unless you want a 6" barrel. I love shooting mine, but not with 165 PF loads all the time.

They've been there and done that already on 32H&R's in 2005 with a 431PD, 432PD, & 432PD with Crimson Trace grips. Unfortunately, these have been discontiuned for 2006 and they were decent selling little guns that filled a niche.

The Taurus 9mm project revolver should prove or disprove that there is a market for a 9mm revo. An entry level 8 shot that uses plentiful and cheap ammo.

For those of us who are Smith fans, and already have an eight shot .357, a 9mm Ti cylinder is more digestible to the factory. With luck, I'll have a number of them to sell.

site radius ...

I thought the 646 fit that bill unless you want a 6" barrel. I love shooting mine, but not with 165 PF loads all the time.

That's why I mentioned it, make it a 5-5.5 or maybe even up to 6.5 long barrel, maybe

half lug the longer barrel and you'd have a nice medium frame revo to shoot USPSA with.

Ammo shouldn't be a problem, I see 40 ammo as much as I see 9mm WB. And with the

longer barrel and more weight I would think the recoil with 165 pf loads would be more

tolerable.

I understood the reason for the 646 models (well I think I did) but with the changes in "other"

shooting disciplines these fine revo's are a little tough to shoot @ 165-170 pf.

And I think at least the old 586 could handle the pressure, years ago I shot pins in PA next

to a guy with a converted 586 to shoot 10mm! Stock cylinder bored out and a Thompson

Contender barrel machined into a revo barrel, guy said he couldn't shoot an N frame :D

They've been there and done that already on 32H&R's in 2005 with a 431PD, 432PD, & 432PD with Crimson Trace grips. Unfortunately, these have been discontiuned for 2006 and they were decent selling little guns that filled a niche.

See !!! show's how much I know about what's sell-able. No wonder the RL 45 Revolver

didn't take off. (is that what we used to call that ??)

Jeez...I don't think I've ever even seen a box of 32 H&R ammo, I did find once a piece

of spent brass at the range.

I'm a green-horn with this stuff, and I don't read the gun rags often, but it seems like everytime I thumb through an gun rag Clint Smith has a new S&W round gun coming out. Is that the path a new S&W needs to take...through Clint?
Only for fixed sight guns. ;) He's two for two on me - I've got a 21-4 and a 22-4. With any luck, the next one will be a M58-something.

Randy, where they just talking about a Taurus 9mm revolver, or did they actually show one? I'm really curious. Sounds like a nice steel challenge setup.

Hey Spook,

Bob Morrison of Taurus is sending me a 6.5" unported 8 shot with a 9mm bore(I spec'd 1-in-10 twist rate for the 147 gr bullets) and unchambered 8 shot cylinder. I'll be doing the chambering and throating myself.

Hearthco- are you ready to make some 9mm Taurus moons? :D

I did stir the pot a little. I sorta mentioned to Taurus's CEO that there has been a lot of interest in the 9mm revolver lately and that Smith was somewhat hesitant. He seemed interested, especially after Michael Bane and Lisa Farrell spoke with him.

I'm pretty sure Taurus will beat Smith to the punch on this one. They seem more open to outside sources of input in regards to their product development. Perhaps they're just hungry for the competition revolver marketshare. With any luck, the "X" version will end up in a shop somewhere's in CA.

...and I´d like to be the german representative for competition revos ... ;)

...OK, if not possible, send some 627-9mm replacement cylinders over the big sea! B)

DVC!

Sascha

Randy, where they just talking about a Taurus 9mm revolver, or did they actually show one? I'm really curious. Sounds like a nice steel challenge setup.

Hey Spook,

Bob Morrison of Taurus is sending me a 6.5" unported 8 shot with a 9mm bore(I spec'd 1-in-10 twist rate for the 147 gr bullets) and unchambered 8 shot cylinder. I'll be doing the chambering and throating myself.

Hearthco- are you ready to make some 9mm Taurus moons? :D

Holy crap! Seems like they are really interested if they even let you specify the twist rate. Man, I'd love to try one of those babies out! B)

Got.......to........move.........to..........the.............U.........S.............. B)

Sascha, wanna form a "Team Taurus Europe"? B):D

Sascha, wanna form a "Team Taurus Europe"? B):D

I´m your man! :D

Once Taurus gets the guns to operate under match conditions, they will definitely need a European team. Heck, they supplied the Brazilian team with revos- so why not a Euro-team?

Does Ralf make a cylinder release for Taurus revos?