Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Prices

SRT Driver

Hard commodities, lead, gold, silver, alum, copper, etc., have all been screaming up in price over the past couple of years. Some of the technical charts are scarey as to where this might ultimately play out.

Hate to load up at a top price....but this may be far from the top?

Seems like everything is going up and no real reason for it. As to bullets, I shoot a lot of rifle, so I decided cast bullets would be interesting, and lots cheaper. For about five or six years, I could buy really great quality 190 grain gas checked bullets for half or less of what I paid for Sierra Matchkings. No more! My regular supplier now gets the same thing per 100 that I could buy Matchkings for.

I just don't have time to cast myself. I have found some less expensive cast bullet dealers and am happy with the quality. Still pretty costly.

In my youth, lots of friends cast their own 38s, 45s and 9s, but with the amount we shoot in competition and practice, I can't imagine doing that.

I will likely buy pulled GI 9s from guys like Jeff Bartlett while they last. I think they are of a reasonable price and quality to get me through. I think I can get 45s there, too.

I understand things go up in price, I just wish my income would keep pace. BTW, have you looked at the cost of health insurance, speaking of things increasing in price?

Bob

I keep wondering if I should cast up the lead i have stockpiled or wait till bullets get more expensive.

Copper/Brass is out of this world too. Just did a job where a homeless guy kicked in the door of a house and ripped out all the copper plumbing in the basement (and some upstairs)

Ted

I went with Precision Delta for a shipment of 6000 when they were $48.50 K delivered. I called 3-4 months later and they had gone to $55 a thousand delivered. I went back to Angus for Zero's as he could still get them to me cheaper than Precision Delta.

I think Precision Delta was on to something during the summer, around Nationals, but they hiked their prices and now are just average. I dont know if they got bit by the bug and figured they could raise their prices for a little extra profit, but Angus has stayed pretty close to where he was and I'll keep giving him my business, unless Precision Delta does something drastic.

I think Precision Delta could have owned the bullet business in IPSC, but with the price hike, they run of the mill now.

Kevin, I did practically the same thing. I was prepared to buy 10K from Precision, but when I saw the 2nd price hike in less than a month I bought from Angus. His price went up 5buck/K, so I bought the 10K from him.

The bullet companies need to understand that for the volume we shoot we have to buy as cheap as we can. I understand rising costs and the market, but if the items are not within the price range of our expendable income then we will be forced to lower our purchases and go back to plated or lead bullets.. :mellow:

I suspect the blame belongs with the gods of supply and demand, not the bullet manufacturers. If they had a lot of stock on hand you got a better price than from someone who recently purchased their stock. Metals prices and fuel prices mean higher bullet prices. Read Chuck's post above. Right now you can get Zero's from him at the old price. When he has to reorder at higher prices so do we.

Hey Chuck! Zero JHP make a great loss leader! :D

Oh yeah, I hate that bullet prices are going up too! :angry:

Edited by AikiDale

Given that prices continue to increase, what about group buys? I assume that someone would be willing to move on price better at 500,000 bullets than 50,000. I also assume we have all be involved in group buys that have been a major pita....which is why maybe there is no talk of it yet in this thread? :D

Given that prices continue to increase, what about group buys? I assume that someone would be willing to move on price better at 500,000 bullets than 50,000. I also assume we have all be involved in group buys that have been a major pita....which is why maybe there is no talk of it yet in this thread? :D

I swear I opened this to suggest the same thing! I'm down for 10K of 124s for my Open gun. Zero or MG will be fine. :D

The problem with group buys is shipping is killer. 3000 9mm bullets is 70 lbs. UPS would charge me $20 to ship that one zip code away. Even the USPS 70 lb box adds almost $3/K to the price right off the bat.

We do local bulk orders sometimes and that's enough of a pain in the rear as it is.

The problem with group buys is shipping is killer. 3000 9mm bullets is 70 lbs.

We do local bulk orders sometimes and that's enough of a pain in the rear as it is.

Shipped to a central location - split up and taken by volunteers to Area Matches for distribution..? :huh:

I've met the owner of Zero. She has owned the company since it was started back in the '60s. They have a number of pricing levels. The absolute best price requires the purchase of 5000 lbs of bullets. They are very strict about making the weight at that level. The next best price is the 3000 lb price and to the regular distributers they aren't as strict. The best price levels also require picking the bullets up at the plant. If a 5K lb order was given to Chuck he might give a better price. As another option I have a friend who owns a cast bullet company and also sells Zero bullets, but try Chuck for the Group order first.

Huston in Austin