Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With A Factory Edge

Adam B

I am looking to get into limited and am going to trade into a new stock edge. What are some of the majoe issues that people have had with this gun? I know what I am going to change right off the get go

Aftec extractor

dawson ice magwell

new rear sight and fiber optic front sight

hard chrome the entire gun

New SVI trigger

2 lb trigger job

Anything else? Mainly I am looking at what I can do to avoid any problems that other people have had with thier guns.

As far as my experience goes, your list covers it. I've done all that except the extractor and the trigger. Although the trigger is on my list of to do's. Mine ran great from day one.

Don't forget to re-spring it. I run either a 12.5 variable recoil spring or a heavy recoil master depending on how I feel at the time.

I got my Edge from Dawson Precision. They tune it up a bit and I had the Aftec exctractor, Bomar rear sight, Dawson front sight, ICE magwell, and trigger job all done before it was shipped to me (these were the recommended upgrades from the Dawson sales rep). The gun ran great from day one using some borrowed magazines (see below on magazines). I got mine with the stainless guide rod as the Recoilmaster was not proven at the time.

The only problems I had were with the stock STI magazines. I had STI bodeis, Dawson +1's and stock STI springs/followers. On more than one occasion the follower would flip over and stick at the bottom of the body and make the magazine useless. Plus I had some basic magazine related feeding malfunctions. Based on recommendations from this forum I sent them all off to Beven Grams for tuning and with his tuning and spring/follower kits this gun/magazine combo is now one of the most reliable setups in my safe.

On the hard chrome, I would wait to get this done until you have fully broken in the gun and are 100% sure that it is setup the way you want. After hard chrome little things like cutting the grip safety a little higher become harder to do.

Ditto the waiting on hard chrome. The little bit of wear you'll shoot into your frame rails is exactly what you need as a tolerance, which the [eventual] plating will fill in. Also there are machine cuts & radius work in the back of the gun that make it much kinder on your hands. That's tough to do once it's plated. The grip-safety-area tweaking that Dan Bedell does is the best I've seen - there are photos in the Gallery that will show it.

Just be sure you don't remove metal from the thumb-safety or the slide-stop directly over the pin on either part. That makes them 1000x more likely to break. Behind/in front of the pins is fine - customize that all you want.

My opinion only - the best/most reliable recoil setup you can use is a steel 1-piece guide rod, one buffer [Ed Brown or EGW], and a 10 to 14-lb conventional recoil spring. Go outside of that and you are gambling to some extent.

If you like how the pistol points for you then leave the trigger guard alone - no undercutting, just round the corners slightly.

Here is a list of parts that have broken on my Edge in the order which they occurred:

• extractor

• slide stop

• recoil master

• rear sight hinge pin

Regardless, it’s a great pistol and would not hesitate to by another.

By the time you buy the pistol and change all that stuff you could have had Benny build it that way to start with and avoided a bunch of hassle and have a TSS custom pistol.-----Larry

Thats exactly why I odered one of Dan Bedell's. No matter who you have build one, your going to have roughly the same invested in the long run. I guess the few benefits of building up an Edge is..

1. You learn more about it.

2. You don't plop down all the cash at once.

3. No wait

I think no matter what though, I would order it from someone that will give it a reliability check before they send it out so you will get a ready to run gun.

yup. life is too short and spare time too precious to go to the range, set up, and have to practice with an unreliable gun. I know Dawson does a reliability check as does Brazos and they still offer them at the best price available.

By the time you buy the pistol and change all that stuff you could have had Benny build it that way to start with and avoided a bunch of hassle and have a TSS custom pistol.-----Larry

Larry,

I would love to order one but at this point (due to my wife thinking that I have too many guns) in less I can sell one of my open guns, the only way I am getting into a limited gun this season is through a trade. I am trading into an new Edge not buying one.

Adam

If I were to buy anything it would be a Brazos SC, nothing against Benny, or any of the other smiths, but I have shot a couple of Bob's guns and they are great!

just have custom built pistol made for you if your gonna do all that to it.

i would ditch the long dust cover and recoil master too..

Again, I am trading into one, I am not speinding a dime of my own money, otherwise I would have one built.

I have added exactly what you want to your edge to mine..

I have a tungsten guide rod with 12# spring, and i had Ed Brown ambi safety installed. I had the gun chromed after about 10K rounds.

STI mags with Dawson base pads (+1) and grams springs. The gun has been 100% reliable. I'd buy another for backup if i could.

If I was in your position I would try to trade into an Eagle instead of an Edge. I don't like weight out front, or weight period. I want the lightest gun I can get that is durable. If you aren't sure about the weight of an Eagle a tungsten guide rod will have your new Eagle with about the same balance and weight as a stock Edge. Taking weight out of the Edge is a lot harder and more expensive than swapping a guide rod out. The next time you want some more weight out you can lighten the slide on the Eagle, and then look to the frame.

Chrome will absolutely screw you if you want to change something on the gun, make darn sure it is exactly the way you want it before chrome, Stripping the plating and then putting it back is expensive and time consuming.

Edited by HSMITH

I have tried both in the past and I like the long dust cover, weight isnt an issue. I am not a small guy by any means, I'm 225 (and it not fat), so I can take the weight of a 40oz gun. I am really looking for what I need to change and what problems people have had with their factory edge not what combination I should get mine, since I already have it.

I have tried both in the past and I like the long dust cover, weight isnt an issue. I am not a small guy by any means, I'm 225 (and it not fat), so I can take the weight of a 40oz gun. I am really looking for what I need to change and what problems people have had with their factory edge not what combination I should get mine, since I already have it.

Ditto, I like the long dust cover too. I tend to like the heavier gun.

I am not doing a major lightening to the frame, just adding some fultes for the looks. The amount of material being removed from the frame is minimal. I am having the slide lightend for performance reasons, lower recriprocationg mass. I am looking at getting it around the magic 12oz mark.