Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Timer, How Often Do You Turn It Off In Dry Fire?

HSMITH

Been reading searches back to early '03 and didn't see this specific subject so I thought I would ask the forum:

Timer logistics (read: I left it somewhere else) have had me dry firing a couple times in the last two weeks or so without a timer at all. Not knowing what the times are I have worked on smoothness and efficiency of motion instead of trying to beat the beep.

Tonight was heavily focused on reloads, reloads are a weakness in my game and I have been working hard on them. I did a couple hundred reloads tonight without the timer, 1 reload 1, 2 reload 2, 2 2 2 reload 2 2 2, bill drill reloads, etc. I missed less reloads tonight by FAR, the time was certainly good for me judging by the seat-o-pantsmeter. Man, it felt GOOD!!! Smooth, confident, and nice all around.

I think this is a good thing for me, putting the timer down and working on efficient accurate motion only once in a while. Last time I did a hard session without a timer I didn't necessarily pick up any time, instead it felt like I didn't have to work nearly as hard to make the times, if that makes any sense...

How often do you put the timer down and just work on smooth accurate actions? Do you feel it helps you? If not why not and if so how does it help you?

Been reading searches back to early '03 and didn't see this specific subject so I thought I would ask the forum:

Timer logistics (read: I left it somewhere else) have had me dry firing a couple times in the last two weeks or so without a timer at all. Not knowing what the times are I have worked on smoothness and efficiency of motion instead of trying to beat the beep.

Tonight was heavily focused on reloads, reloads are a weakness in my game and I have been working hard on them. I did a couple hundred reloads tonight without the timer, 1 reload 1, 2 reload 2, 2 2 2 reload 2 2 2, bill drill reloads, etc. I missed less reloads tonight by FAR, the time was certainly good for me judging by the seat-o-pantsmeter. Man, it felt GOOD!!! Smooth, confident, and nice all around.

I think this is a good thing for me, putting the timer down and working on efficient accurate motion only once in a while. Last time I did a hard session without a timer I didn't necessarily pick up any time, instead it felt like I didn't have to work nearly as hard to make the times, if that makes any sense...

How often do you put the timer down and just work on smooth accurate actions? Do you feel it helps you? If not why not and if so how does it help you?

I think that is a good way to work on smoothness and confidence. Sometimes work the timer first and push yourself, then put the timer away and work on smoothness, and you should see your draw and reload times start to come down with your confidence building. This reminds me of one of the famous Yogi Berra,Yogisms " That 90% of the game is half mental"

I almost always dry fire without a timer. It's great to smooth out the movements.

I think a timer is important though. The timer is a great tool to work on "time management". It will show you how relaxed you can be to perform a certain action within a certain time limit.

As people here often say: feeling fast doesn't necessarily mean being fast ;)

I don't think enough dry fire is done without the timer. Not just without the timer but literally in slow motion so that you can really break down the technique and program into your routine.

Some slow, very slow movement without the timer is helpful to me. Then there is pushing yourself beyond your limits with the timer too.

For me I try to do these in my training. Some very slow motion stuff, then with the timer shooting all As and then shove beyond my proficiency level. Lately, I do less balls to the wall practice because I feel that it induces a certain level of sloppiness that doesn't do my match scores any good. Why practice missing? I shoot production and have to actually hit what I am aiming at to finish well.

Rick

Edited by Clay1

I use a timer in dryfire ocassionally now, and most often it is used to just to react to the "beep". This way I am focused on the reaction and mechanics and not the speed. Live fire practice allways includes a timer unless I'm just shooting "groups".

Thanks all for the input.

I have been working seriously on dry-fire for about a month now with Steve Andersons book, and seeing some REAL gains both in dry fire times and at the matches. It wasn't until I left the timer somewhere else and was forced to dry fire without it that this really crossed my mind.

The timer is back, and the gun is calling. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
I use a timer as much as I can. I also do about 60% or so of my reps on slow motion. The reason to use a timer a lot is so you are constantly working on your reaction to the beep.

It is important to practice "realism" to get used to it when it happens.

While it is nice to initially dissect our movements in slow motion to refine them, as you progress your need to speed-up will overshadow everything else. Because in a "real" match you will have to "react" to a timer. If you are not subconsciously used to them you will be "startled" and could become "blanked-out", loosing time.

Every time a new routine is approached or contemplated it helps to dissect it by doing it "slow-mo" again and again untill it becomes second nature, and then speed-up gradually untill is time for a reality check: Timer. Then it becomes a race against yourself, which is the "essence" of IPSC.

A drill I do which helps inmensely is to load up at the range, set the timer to random, react to the beep, draw, call the "red dot" 100% on target, pull the trigger, check the timer and the target for speed and accuracy verification. Start slow and speed up "without sacrificing alphas". If you don't have access to a range, or if it is impossible to use a timer at the range because of the "volume/amount" of neighboring firing, then you could practice at home (neighbors not-withstanding) by loading some cases "only" with primers (no powder or bullets please). While you will not be able to verify your called shots, the speed can be checked. At the range, start with only one shot, and after you are getting consistent "fast alpha's" go on to doubles, still concentrating on those alpha's. Then on to transitions ... and so forth ... The timer is a great training tool when used properly. Enjoy it. DVC :)

Big thumbs up for Steve's book. I've used it in my dry firing and it's been great for me.

I too just recently purchased Steve's book, and am looking forward to the dry-fire extravaganza!

That being said, I like to pull out the timer when I am testing my current par times for draws, reloads, and first shots...but there is certainly something to be said about doing the Tai-Chi method of practice, where nice, slow, and perfect movement comes into play.

• 2 weeks later...

I rarely use the timer in dry fire, usually only to push the speed up a bit on a drill, then I shut it off and go back to a focus on smooth movements. The odd time I will work out a drill with par time to see if doing things is better one way or another (like leaving a position) and set the part time then change up and see if it is better or worse.

I always hated using a timer during dry fire because it always seemed to throw me off pushing the button for myself. Ok so I am not the most coordinated in the world..... :P A great thing I found was the dryfire drills on Matt Burketts web page www.mattburkett.com. He has all sorts of targets, moving and stationary with timers on them where you can adjust the par time etc. As long as you don't mind dry firing at your computer it is a great way to practice! Though I have to admit the buzzers drive my dogs nuts! Anyone else use these to practice?

Though I have to admit the buzzers drive my dogs nuts!

My PACT MkIV XP must have a tone above my hearing range but within my lab's. She generally perks her ears about .1s before I hear the timer. So... when I do dryfire draws I have to face away from her, or she tips me off too soon and I move early. If I took her to the matches, I could get a .1s jump on El Prez... :D

Though I have to admit the buzzers drive my dogs nuts!

My PACT MkIV XP must have a tone above my hearing range but within my lab's. She generally perks her ears about .1s before I hear the timer. So... when I do dryfire draws I have to face away from her, or she tips me off too soon and I move early. If I took her to the matches, I could get a .1s jump on El Prez... :D

Can I borrow your dog for the Single Stack Nationals, Agnus Dei Charity Match, and Area II?

I seldom used a timer in dry fire practice. Maybe 10 - 20% of the time. Most of my dry fire practice consisted of studying, improving, and polishing physical and visual techniques. Then sometimes I'd use a start beep to put my "no-timer" practice to the test under the push of the timer.

I never spent much effort using a timer to improve my reaction time off the buzzer. Whether my hand began to move in .20, .25, or .30 of a second, I just didn't care. I felt the demands of each individual stage influenced my reaction to the buzzer, without me having to spend any attention on it. Like when practicing or shooting Double Trouble, my waiting state would be very focused and intense - ready to do one single thing - like a cat waiting to pounce on a mouse. So the buzzer would naturally let me go - quick. But if I was at "shooter ready, stand by..." and the stage was a field course - I couldn't care less if my first shot was 1.3 seconds or 1.5 seconds.

be

I never use a timer for dry-fire, I find it a distraction. Instead I just try to move smoothly for the draw and reload. I figure that if I can get both smooth and efficient without wasted movement then the time/speed part of the equation will take care of itself.

I must admit that I have always felt that there is a little too much focus on the draw and reload. From all the videos I have seen of the top shooters, the sub-second draws at a major match are few and far between.

Smooth, economical movement is more important to me.

• 1 month later...

Every time a new routine is approached or contemplated it helps to dissect it by doing it "slow-mo" again and again untill it becomes second nature, and then speed-up gradually untill is time for a reality check: Timer. Then it becomes a race against yourself, which is the "essence" of IPSC.

I was reading through this thread because my wife and I were discussing the use of a timer during dry fire and I found this quote... I think I am going to add it to my mantra. "The essence of IPSC is a race against yourself". I like it!

I think the timer is a good tool to push yourself. However, I have found that not using the timer allows me to take the time to get the sight picture I want (need) for the "shot"... So I always end without the timer so that I train my final focus on what I see rather than trying to beat a par time "beep"...

Let me share an experience from last Sundays match. I shot a poper and then had 2 metal plates to hit. I distinctly remember thinking "there are my sights, but where is the plate?" I had indexed above the plate and my gun was obscuring the plate. I adjusted, shot the plates, and the rest of the popers in the array with 1/shot. I have experienced this "visual patience" on a number of shots and feel that you should focus on shooting only as fast as you can see. I know some people get really agressive on steel but I find that the time for me to make up a shot like that would be way longer than just the fraction of a second it took to get the sight picture right. I also find this type of shooting really valuable with no-shoot and hard cover targets where a fast miss and make up might still really cost me.

I worry that if I use the timer during dry fire exclusively I will start to pull the trigger as a reaction to "get the shot off NOW!" rather than having this visual patience. But then again I am only a B shooter.

Hope this helps,

Ira

I used to use one in the beginning but really don't use one anymore. I'm more worried about being smooth now. It was good in the beginning to push myself and every once in awhile I'll pull it out just to see how things are.

Flyin40

Ira, you have hit on some of the problems I have created for myself dryfiring with a timer. Without realizing it I was hitting the trigger as the sight picture was coming together, leads to poor hits in a match. I was 'doubletapping' in dryfire to get the drill finished before the beep, and my finger did exactly what I had trained it to do in the match. I had several problems like this.

The good news is that it was ALL caused by my being sloppy when dryfiring. It was also easy to fix. I raised par time, dryfire transitions to more of a cadence and make SURE I have a quality sight picture on every target.

Pushing HARD with the timer has helped cut time off of everything I do and even with the problems I had from being sloppy there were solid gains in performance. Now I still push HARD but make sure that I get plenty of real quality reps in to avoid training bad habits in.

Sounds like we have arrived at the same place by following just about the same path...

• 1 month later...

My dog runs upstairs every time she hears me punch in the code to the gun safe. She knows where there is s beep there is a click and where there is a click there is often a laser pulse. I use a Beamhit laser when I dry fire and the dog would jump off a cliff trying to get that laser.

Anyways, I really don't like trying to get the shot in before the timer beeps. Kind of takes the fun out of practicing. I don't know why someone doesn't make something that lets you time your dryfiring. That way you could see what your times were rather than if they somehow made it under the beep

Later

Bakes