Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reducing Recoil In Shorty

Mickster

There's a lot of great info on this forum regarding the JP LMOS (stainless & aluminum) in the long gas system 18" and 20" rifles.

Is there a way to reduce the recoil impulse in the 16" CAR other than a muzzle brake?

Has anyone tried the LMOS with associated parts in the Shorty? Or is the nature of the 16" short gas system just impossible to do anything with?

There is, or was a longer gas tube that coiled around the barrel( I think I saw them in Brownells) that was supposed to slow the gas pulse to the same as a full length gas tube, called the pig tail. I have never seen one and cant say if it really works. Anybody? I have just accepted the fact that 16s and shorter are just nasty to shoot.------Larry

I meant to include in the previous post that I have a Cavarms lwr with the lightest contour DPMS 16 in barrel, this carbine is just over 6 lbs and is really nasty, it kicks and vibrates like a tuneing fork. I put my alum LMOS in it to try. It was still very harsh and turned into a single shot and I quit fooling with it.-----Larry

I tried the Counterpoise Recoil kit by Armforte. I think somone else is making the same system now. This is the kit with the sliding weight on the buffer. Worked really well in a 16". Gave it up when I switched to 20" guns. If you're interested I think I've got it laying around still.

I went to the Counterpoise website and per the info there this is the cat's meow for the Shorty AR.

The only problem I see is that amongst all the praises there's the statement that says you MUST shoot the Counterpoise equiped rifle right along side an identical non-Counterpoise equiped rifle to tell any difference.

So how well does it really work?

Benny, does Brownells still sell that buffer with the sliding weights or is it the Counterpoise system you were referring to? I searched their site and couldn't find it under "buffer" or "recoil buffer".

I'm curious about that pigtail gas tube too. I saw it at a SHOT show several years ago. The inventor wanted 80 bucks for it. I had to pass. Wonder if it really makes a noticeable difference. Anybody know for sure?

There is, or was a longer gas tube that coiled around the barrel( I think I saw them in Brownells) that was supposed to slow the gas pulse to the same as a full length gas tube, called the pig tail. I have never seen one and cant say if it really works. Anybody? I have just accepted the fact that 16s and shorter are just nasty to shoot.------Larry

"Pigtail" is what you're thinking of.

857.jpg

Pricey at $90 but fixes some gas-system problems. Will have an effect in this application.

Link to a source with which I have no connection.

The Enidine buffers work very well. You could also try a PRI Fat Boy gas tube which are available from www.adcofirearms.com for $50, this is a high volume gas tube which really slows the cyclic rate of the carbine length AR to run almost as slow as a rifle length AR.

I imagine the ultimate for a carbine would be a good brake (Bennie Cooley), PRI fat boy gas tube and a Enidine buffer. The buffers are also available in rifle sizes.

Other things can also be done such as stronger buffer spring by David Tubb and Wolff. Or just plain heavier buffers like the steel 9mm buffers or the CMT H3 buffers which also slow the rate of fire down (even in semi autos)

• 4 years later...

Mickster

You can use Enidine hydraulic buffer and JP gas block to reduce recoil impulse.

I use same system in my 16" mid length carbine and I'm very happy with it.

Almost a +1. I put the same buffer (above) in mine and put a Miculek comp on at the same time and it made a world of difference! I am happy with it, but I wouldn't mind trying the different gas tube options and the lighter BCG to see if it makes a difference.

I really dont see why anyone is using heavier than standard buffers, especially in a competition rifle. Lightening the mowing parts is a way to go, but you need adjustable gas system before that!

How well does the endine stack up against the MGI buffer which is 2 times the price?

I've personally owned 4 Enidine buffers and broke every one of them. Brownells replaced them without issue, but I finally realized they just don't hold up for me. The MGI is built like a tank.

How well does the endine stack up against the MGI buffer which is 2 times the price?

I've personally owned 4 Enidine buffers and broke every one of them. Brownells replaced them without issue, but I finally realized they just don't hold up for me. The MGI is built like a tank.

Well that's two speedy responses from an excellent shooter on this topic...time to order the MGI :cheers:

The heavy buffers are a band aid to treat issues in the AR carbines that are a result of the inherent limitations of the DI system. They are used to treat the increased cycle timing associated with gas port erosion. The Pigtail and Fat Boy gas tubes will in fact slow the expansion and delivery of gas to the carrier, the overall weight of the carrier is also a factor in this. If it will increase your reliability or reduce it, will depend on the gas port size and how much back-pressure your compensator produces in relation to the combined weight of the carrier and buffer. An adjustable gas block could allow some tuning of this provided the gas port size is large enough and or your compensator produces enough back-pressure.

Out.

2011BLDR