Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On Xd Tac And Glock 34

John K

First, i don't want this to be come anthor glock vs the world thread.

That being said, i now shoot a G17in IDPA. I have been shooting IDPA for about a year.

I have the itch to buy another pistol. I had illusions of buying a 45 but finally came to my senses when I realized that I am too cheap to soot the 45 vs 9mm on a cost bases.

That being said I have considered a few different pistols. I own a glock and like it so the

G 34 would not be a bad choice, until I tried my buddies 4" XD 9. I like the ergonomics.

Will the XD Tac give the G 34 a run for it's money.

I see it breaking down like this.

For me.....

+glock sights

+glock finish

+glock durability

+glock aftermarket stuff

+xd ergonomics

+xd price

+xd diversifies my handgun collection

I know that in so many regards this is a matter of personal preference.

All I am solicting opinions.

what do you think?

thanks,

John

I have owned both. The XD is a fine pistol, however, I prefer Glock only because it is easier to work with and replacement parts are easier to acquire. Also, Glock magazines are less expensive. These have been my experiences. I'm sure others will chime in.

Performancewise, for me they were about the same except for the XD seemed to flip a little more since the bore axis is a little higher.

I would go with the Glock because they are so easy to work on and modify. I love all my Glocks. I have never shot an XD. Stick with what you know. I recently tried to diversify my collection and it bite me in the butt. I bought a CZ 75 TS and it is a great gun. It is very accurate but I prefer my 24. So I am gonna sell the CZ and get another 24. Nothing wrong with the CZ or XD, Glocks just work for me.

I would find the differences between the G17 and the G34 too small to justify buying it, but that is just what I think.

What do you want to do with the new gun? New game? IDPA in a different division?

Edited by spook

I see it breaking down like this.

For me.....

+glock sights

+glock finish

+glock durability

+glock aftermarket stuff

+xd ergonomics

+xd price

+xd diversifies my handgun collection

I agree with much of what you say. The Glock has some points that make it hard to beat, namely the simplicity of design/maintenance and the cheap factory and aftermarket parts.

However, I don't think the Glock is any more durable than other quality semi-autos. And from actual range experience at the PD I used to work at, there were some Glock parts that were prone to breakage more than similar parts on other guns. Namely slide lock lever and extractor.

The Tenifer finish isn't that big of a deal for me. It will develop shiny spots from holster wear and I have seen surface rust develop. Yes, it was lack of proper care but it will still rust. It is hard very and you would have to work at it to dent or scratch the slide. This is good if you have a knack for dropping it.

I do like the ergonomics of the XD much better than the Glock. It points naturally compared to the muzzle-high tendancy of the Glock in my hand. And the trigger is shaped and feels like a trigger. Both can have the triggers tuned with excellent results.

There is a bigger selection of sights available for the Glock but you can probably find suitable sights for the XD. I will change the sights on my Glock 17 in the future and will probably go with the Dawson fiber optic front/target rear. This same sight is available for the XD.

From my experience, the Glock will have the edge in accuracy. The XD is fine for most competitions or self defense, but Glocks just seem to shoot tighter groups. Glocks will also have a lesser felt muzzle flip as GeneralChang mentioned. Same as when I shoot my Glock and my SIG. The Glock has slightly less muzzle flip but overall, I shoot the SIG way better. Again it falls back into what fits my hand more naturally.

Shoot your buddies XD some more alongside your G17. The G34 is really not that much different than the G17 IMHO, so you should be able to compare them for yourself before deciding. One bonus for the Glock is that you already have the mags and pouches. It's really what you feel comfortable with.

I would emphasize what eric posted about the XD trigger. If you do a search you should find a couple of posts on this subject. I shoot an XD tactical with a trigger job from Rich at Canyon Creek, and even the most die hard glock shooters in my club think that the trigger is better their glocks. Of course, the trigger is just one factor...

The Glock vs. the XD is one that is often discussed. Given that you already have a G17 the G34 would be the logical extension. The grip angles are the same and you could more easily change between the G17 and G34 without a different grip angle.

If you shot a 45 in competition already and put thousands of rounds through it the XD grip angle would be more appropriate.

The XD trigger is nicer by Rich at Canyon Creek. My brother-in-law has two that Rich has done the triggers on and they are fantastic (he is also a big 45 auto shooter).

The sights on both guns will need to be replaced. Glock parts are so much easier to get and the gun is much easier to do your own work on. Like the General the muzzle flip seems more pronounced on the XD.

Bottom line is that they both are nice - get what you want and be happy.

Rick

I would not factor in cost considering that you probably already own enough G17 mags that can be used with G34. Once you buy the additional XD mags and support gear, the total cost differential between the two guns is probably negligible.

Seems to me the decision should be on whether you want to try a new division in IDPA or want the redundant system with the G34/G17 combination.

Like the other posters, my question is why buy a G34 if you already have a G17? The 1/4 longer slide won't make that much difference, and the slide cut-out in the G34 only brings it to the G17's weight.

Almost every time I've based a decision on trying someone else's gun, it's been a mistake. Other people's guns seemed more comfortable, softer and more accurate than mine, at least until I buy them. Trying a gun and living with it are two different things.

I compared the 5" XD and the G34 side-by-side. Although the XD's egonomics are better than the Glock's (which gun isn't?), I found the XD had more muzzle rise and was less accurate. I ended up buying the G34.

The decision might also be based on whether you're a tinkerer. Since I'm a tinkerer (and in the process destroy parts), I'd never buy a gun that didn't have an easy supply of replacement and aftermarket parts. For me, tinkering is half the fun of shooting. I also can't see spending $135 for a trigger job plus shipping for a gun that cost less than $500.

I have a glock 34 and an XD 40 Tactical (Canyon Creek Trigger). I shoot the XD better. Glock has had some trigger work just under 3 lbs. Sights have been replaced on both guns . Grip tape on both. XD points better , better recoil control. My 2 cents worth.

Squishy is a 2011 boy and I would agree if you are use to that grip angle the XD is the choice.

Newguy said: "I also can't see spending $135 for a trigger job plus shipping for a gun that cost less than $500". If you tried Rich's trigger and shot the gun you might find out why people spend that amount of money. Again, fantastic trigger that changes the accuracy potential of the gun for many people.

Still a Glock fan after all of that - USPSA nationals this year: 54 Glocks to 6 XD's. Those numbers will change over time but those are still the numbers this year. Now if you want confusion throw the CZ line of very nice pistols in the mix. :D

Rick

I'ld also add;

+ Glock finish

I have an XD .40 Tactical and I like it very much. About 10,000 rounds through it and no malfunctions. I've had quite a few Glocks also and I would say the reliability and durability are about the same. S.A. needs to work on their XD finish though. I finally got mine hard-chromed.

post-180-1137462548_thumb.jpg

post-180-1137462575_thumb.jpg

I had an XD before my Glocks. I only had it for about 1 year. Once the striker and assembly broke and I contacted SA, they not only wanted me to send the gun in to them, but then they wanted to charge me for the parts and shipping! So much for the lifetime waranty?! <_< Once I got it back I sold it an bought a Glock, and never looked back. There is no limit to the tinkering I have done with mine and they have never broke to the point where they were not usable. Squishy bought his 34 from me and that had an early rendition of my trigger jobs. All I really did on that one was polish the fire controls and change a few springs. I have since come a long way in the developement and understanding of what makes a good trigger. The XD grip just feels so tiny also. I like the larger grip frame of the Glock. Then there is the unlimited supply of parts out there! Long story short, in my mind there is no comparison- GLOCKS ROCK!! :D

I traded my XD40 for Glock 22. Why? Parts availability. But if SA will sell parts in the future then probably I'll buy again an XD

Now Im having fun with my G22. No worries if in case something broke. I can fix it in minutes because I have spare of littlte things for Glock.

How many days do you get your XD back from the factory if something needs fixing.

The ergonomics and pointability issue. Well before I pull the trigger, I always make sure I am using the sights so to me its not how I hold the gun but how I use the sights in relation to target.

By the way I bought another Glock last month - this time Glock21. Used but accurate and pleasant to shoot.

XD vs GLOCK I have always liked glocks, I have the 17, 22, 24, 34, 35. When the XD came out I got one as soon as I could, I thought it would be right up my alley. The XD had many feeding and ejection problems, maybe I should have sent it to get fixed, but I just didn't think it was a quailty gun.

Both guns you can get great triggers. XD Rich at Cannyon Creek. GLOCK Charlie Vanic.

I think it's a toss up, both are great and around the same price.

You already have the rig for the GLOCK

Wiht all that said IMO buy the 34!

Boga, in response to your statement: "its not how I hold the gun but how I use the sights in relation to target." In our action pistol sport your index is so important. You should be able to look at a target, close you eyes and draw; when you open up your eyes the sights should be aligned.

Index allows you to pull the trigger the moment your arms are extended because your sights do line up and you are not searching for them. Index and sight picture are a combined technique used to shoot quickly. Just a thought to consider.

Rick

Consensus seems to choose Glock. I say buy both if you like them both, they both are cheap enough. but then again what are you going to use it for gaming or concealed carry? a glock 34 is a good gaming gun, where as the xd 4" would be easier to conceal. Personally I game with a glock and carry a glock, so that would be an easy decision for me.

Glocks aren't as reliable as some people claim. Not an opinion, just a fact. Ask anyone who's been to Glock matches and isn't a "true believer." If you haven't seen one malfunction you haven't seen enough of them. I've seen as many Glocks jam, mags break, and several Kabooms. That is just the nature of machines. They work good enough, as do most guns generally. Saying one type of gun is inherantly better than another is just a matter of taste and ergonomic IMO.

Go with what fits you best and don't worry about a better mousetrap.

Glocks aren't as reliable as some people claim. Not an opinion, just a fact. Ask anyone who's been to Glock matches and isn't a "true believer." If you haven't seen one malfunction you haven't seen enough of them. I've seen as many Glocks jam, mags break, and several Kabooms. That is just the nature of machines. They work good enough, as do most guns generally. Saying one type of gun is inherantly better than another is just a matter of taste and ergonomic IMO.

Go with what fits you best and don't worry about a better mousetrap.

Oh...come on now. Let me get my boots on. :)

The main reason I switched to Glocks was after during the RO thing behind hundreds or maybe thousands of shooters you see what works and what does not . Alot of people can't reload is why Glocks and other Guns don't work ! Also excessive tinkering , which I have been guilty of doesn't help !

Give them hell Kyle !!!

Dale

Edited by dwt

Another member here, Chriss Grube, has a G34 with a Vaneck trigger and had XD9 Tactical with a Canyon Creek trigger. He had them at the same time. He prefered the Glock. I prefered the Glock.

Try both if you can, decide for yourself which fits better.

Oh...come on now. Let me get my boots on. :)

:P

Sorry, I look at how guns work mechanically and Glock doesn't really do much different than every other modern auto aside from the way it strikes the primer (which I think is more complicated that it needs to be - see XD, nice and simple and adjustable to well under 2 lbs with full striking power.) It must be the magic juju that makes them infalible ;)

"Glock Perrrrfection" ;)

Blind brand loyalty razzing aside, I like the G17 a lot, but it just doesn't work as well for someone who tends to shoot SV and 1911 triggers and switches guns often. The grips that fit me better are Tangfolio, Sig and XD, because I don't have big hands. The grip angle is not really a big deeal because when you shoot it often you just adjust and every other gun points low ;)

With the quality of manufacturing these days you can make GM with just about any bone stock gun. Dave S is a perfect example. His guns have new sights, but that's about it. The trigger sucks an no cool factor gadgets needed to be one best shooters in the world.

Just shoot as many gun as you can before buying and know the gun won't be what holds you back.

ps. I've shot 100% classifier scores with a bone stock Glock, XD, Sig 226, and SVI. Shooting isn't as much about the gear as some vendors would like to make you believe. ;)

Everyone needs to shoot what they feel most comfortable with. Try them all before settling on a platform and recheck after time goes by.

With that said I shoot an XD because it is easy for me to go from XD's to 1911's and 1911's to XD's. My next choice would go for a CZ75 clone, the Glock would be at the bottom of the pile.

A Glock's point of aim looks like the road to infinity, very hard to switch to a 1911 platform.

As to what the trigger of an XD is capable of, here is the response from two shooters when they tried one of my guns.

Shooter A

" This can't be legal" (Production) Facial expression stunded. "Hey check out one of Rich's triggers."

Shooter B

"WOW! " Facial expression amazement "Can we get a trigger like this."

(Names left out to protect their jobs.)

Rich

Welcome Rich! The XD is taking a beating! :lol::P

I don't know about that whole point of aim theory though. I my experience the first time I tried a glock I had been shooting 1911s for about 10 years and there was immediate improvement with the Glock. So the theory that it is sooo hard to get used to the Glocks POA when you are used to a 1911 is kind of a stretch IMO. I mean if little 'ol me can make such gains from switching to Glock, I can only imagine what an accomplished shooter could do! :huh: