Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug Zero

100 yards!! even with a low recoil slug it's only 4" high at 50 wich is the ordinate. Aiming at the neck of an IPSC target will get me nice clover leaf groups in the head. I like to have long zeros on my stuff! Pistol 50yd, shotgun 100 yd rifle 300 yd. KURT

Sight in for 50 yds. & know where it hits at 75 & 100. There have been stages that you have had to shoot slugs from 25 to 100 yds. all in one stage. Why we shoot 100 yd. slug shots & 5 yd. rifle shots boggles my mind.

Tony

I think that we shoot 100 yard slug shots and 5 yard rifle shots because we are in a competition that mimics possible situations that maybe would arise in the use of a weapon system. If all you have is a rifle and the target is 5 yards away, you use it. If all you have is a slug gun and a pistol and you have a need to engage a 100 yard target, you use the slug gun. TGhe stages are a test of skill, not a bullseye match, you need to be able to transition, not only systems but comfortable ranges. Can you do make up shots at 75 yards with your pistol if your rifle has a death jamb? and so on..

Jim Norman

Thank goodness for Tony's and Benny's view on long slug shots and short rifle shots. I was beginning to wonder if I was alone in that line of thought. I believe that the SHOTgun even when loaded with slugs should be limited to the original distances of the design, 40-50 yards.

... loaded with slugs should be limited to the original distances of the design, 40-50 yards.

No agreement to this statement !

Since the invention of the shotgun and the early slug ammo some decades have passed and there happened some improvements meanwhile.

With a modern shotgun and modern slug ammo you can easily achieve dispersions of under 20 cm at 100 meter shooting distance; with sabot type slugs under 10 cm !

Why limit this gun to half the distance only ?

DVC

THOR-HAMMER

I'm not saying that sabot slugs aren't accurate, even out to 100 yards. Living in a state that requires shotguns only for hunting, I'm well aware of the advances in slugs. However, they do require fully rifled barrels to achieve that level of performance. Now, in a competition, are you going to change barrels between shot stages and slug stages? Is it even legal to do so? That would be the equivelent of changing AR uppers with an Aimpoint for those 5 yard hose stages, and a regular scope for the 200 plus yard stages. Or is it going to take 4 or more guns to shoot 3 gun??

...... However, they do require fully rifled barrels to achieve that level of performance.

No !

Out of my Benelli M3 Super 90 with a smoothbore barrel together with S&B slugs I can achieve under 20 cm at 100 meter shooting distance.

Screwing in a rifled choke I am getting something under 15 cm.

And no - I am not changing barrels while shooting an IPSC-match because it is not legal.

DVC

THOR-HAMMER

I'm with Thor on this! Both My Benellis will produce 4"-5" 5 shot groups at 100 w/ both Remington standard slugs and Breniki slugs with NO rifled choke! Matter of fact that is through a light modified choke. Don't sell shotguns short. It isn't a "50 yard" gun anymore than a rifle is only a 100yd gun whichis where most hunters tend to zero them. KURTM

I'm with Thor on this! Both My Benellis will produce 4"-5" 5 shot groups at 100 w/ both Remington standard slugs and Breniki slugs with NO rifled choke! Matter of fact that is through a light modified choke. Don't sell shotguns short. It isn't a "50 yard" gun anymore than a rifle is only a 100yd gun whichis where most hunters tend to zero them. KURTM

I'm sorry if I was misunderstood on this subject. My initial reply was concerning the rationale of match stages that had rifle shots at under 10 yards and slug shots at 100. I never implied that the firearms or ammo were not sufficient at those distances. My skill and eyesight are another matter :)

Kurt and Thor, are you using rifle sights on your shotguns? Or perhaps optics?

I've gotten to the point that in order to see my sights I need a compromise prescription, therefore the targets are a blur even when I concentrate on them. I will admit wholeheartedly that I do need to spend more time shooting slugs to gain proficiency with them.

Rifle sights on one, bead and flip up open sight on the other. Sights are the main thing that limit peoples ability with a "scattergun"......no sights.....scatter :D

Kurt, thanks for the info. What flip up did you fit to the Benelli? I'm just using front and mid bead on a cut down to 22+" ( the plus is because of the last support on the rib, it's about 22 3/8" ) Winchester Super X model 1. No problems out to 50 yards. Actually the thing shoots better than I figured it would.

I took a long vacation from USPSA shooting, got tired after 14 years of it. So, my experiences are from the last century :)

Kurt and Thor, are you using rifle sights on your shotguns? Or perhaps optics?

Hi Dan,

While shooting standard or modified division I am using fibre optic front and rear sights.

When shooting open division I am using a red dot sight.

To get peoples mind changed I initiated over here in Germany some kind of precision slug side event.

The shooter is required to shoot 20 slugs at a PPS-1500-target in a distance of 100 meter, the oval 10-ring on this target is 15 cm high and 10 cm wide.

Last time the winner came up with 198 points - that means that he had put 18 slugs in the 10-ring and only 2 in the 9-ring.

He was using a Saiga shotgun with a smoothbore barrel equipped with a rifled choke.

DVC

THOR-HAMMER

I cast and load my own slugs but the last time I bought some at Wal Mart they were $6 for a 15 round box. Even though I make my own I still had to buy a few boxes for my ammunition locker.

In my Pseudo Competition Master I typically use an IC choke because the club I shoot at doesn't have deep bays so the shots are shorter. If longer shots are needed LM is typical.

Neal in AZ

Have been setting up my 11-87 for three gun lately and shot some Remington Reduced Recoil slugs out of a 26" barrel, rifle sights, with a modified choke tube. Sights are set dead on at 50 yards. Can get upper A zone hits all day long at 25, A zone hits at 50 consistently, but at 100 could only hit the whole target about half the time. Don't know if it's the reduced slugs, or the modified choke tube. May try an IC tube, or maybe even a rifled choke tube, or the higher power Walmart Winchester slugs mentioned here.