Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I’m Thinking About Buying An Xd

chp5

I’m thinking about buying a 9mm XD for Production and have some questions.

1. I read somewhere that Springfield won’t sell parts in individuals? Is that true? If so, that’s a major negative to me.

2. As a relatively new gun, I wonder about long term durability and reliability - specifically in the 9mm models. Any feedback appreciated.

3. Who makes decently priced holsters and mag holders for the XD?

4. What about a factory extended mag release that’s Production legal – does it exist?

5. What’s a decent price for a used 4” model with 2 ten round mags. The one I have in mind is actually a HS2000 model, but it’s the 3rd generation with the rail, stippling, front serrations, etc. Any downside to buying the HS2000 model?

6. Are the mags reliable and robust? Where do you buy decently priced hi cap mags?

Thanks for you thoughts.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m thinking about buying a 9mm XD for Production and have some questions.

1. I read somewhere that Springfield won’t sell parts in individuals? Is that true? If so, that’s a major negative to me.

2. As a relatively new gun, I wonder about long term durability and reliability - specifically in the 9mm models. Any feedback appreciated.

3. Who makes decently priced holsters and mag holders for the XD?

4. What about a factory extended mag release that’s Production legal – does it exist?

5. What’s a decent price for a used 4” model with 2 ten round mags. The one I have in mind is actually a HS2000 model, but it’s the 3rd generation with the rail, stippling, front serrations, etc. Any downside to buying the HS2000 model?

6. Are the mags reliable and robust? Where do you buy decently priced hi cap mags?

Thanks for you thoughts.

1. This is somewhat true. Depends on the part you are requesting. This has been discussed at length on the 1st web site listed below.

2. The current issue of Guns & Ammo has an article regarding the 20k round torture test. It held up quite well. I've shot my XD9 Tactical over 2250 rounds with no problems whatsoever. See this also: http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=parts

3. I have a BladeTech holster and mag holders. Holster was $57, drop and offset attachment was $10 and double mag pouches are $15 each. This is a very popular holster for competition.

4. Don't know.

5. Can help here either. Check out the 1st web site listed below.

6. I've dropped my mags quite a few times on cement during reloads and they don't show any noticable wear.

Here are some internet sites that will help you quite a bit.

http://www.hs2000talk.com

http://www.xd-hs2000.com

http://www.pistol-gear.com

Hope this helps.

1) Yep, that's right at least for the time being they're not selling certain parts they've deemed not for public consumption. A search over at http://www.xdtalk.com will get you the actual list.

2) I have a 40 with about 5000 rounds through it, not a lot by IPSC shooter standards but I haven't had any issues.

3) I ran a Blackhawk CQC holster last year with success but just picked up a blade-tech doh to run this year. As far as mag pouches go I just ran some UM's last year. I just picked up some Speedcomp pouches (made by a forum member) and they rock for Prod IMO. Check them out here http://www.pistol-gear.com/proddetail.php?prod=05H&cat=22 I believe this is the only place they're currently available.

Thread from here on the new pouches:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=28979&hl=

4) Don't believe they exist (maybe someone else can chime in).

5) Probably in the mid to upper $300's, I've seen them going for that on the XD forum. Not sure of any downsides to the HS'.

6) I've heard some say that the mags aren't as durable as some other manufactures but I dropped, stepped on, crapped up with sand, etc. all through last year with no problems that can be blamed on the mags (mental note, mags dropped in sand need cleaned :ph34r: )

As far as prices go Pistol Gear has decent prices normally, CDNN has them for $19.99 right now, a search on the XD forum should bring up a place in KY (I think) that was selling 9m mags for something like $17, & I found a guy on GunBroker out of AZ selling 3 for $59

EDIT: Becuase I can't type worth a crap right now... :ph34r:

Edited by j2fast

#1 They won't sell parts.

#3 The Uncle mikes holster ($15) is as fast as anyone needs.

#4 I have an extended mag release that I made, Rich at Canyon Creek makes one I believe.

#5 I would go with the 5" for USPSA (I have both the 4" and 5")

#6 The mags work well and have held up good.

Thanks for the replies.

L2S - is your extended mag release legal for Production?

So if SA won't sell parts, you have to send it to the factory for simple stuff like a new extractor or striker spring, etc?

Edited by chp5

I thought the mag release is legal since the factory offers it (it should be since you can add one to a Glock ;) ). If you have to replace the simple stuff (ie. striker I was told by SA that they will fix it, but you must ship it to them.)

Edited by Loves2Shoot

I have an XD-9 that I shoot in production.

I don't have a lot of rounds through it but so far no problem with gun.

I do think the metal used for mags is a little soft.

Dropping one of my mags bent the lips but it was easily fixed.

The thing that impressed me the most about the gun was the excellent accuracy.

It is also very easy to field strip for cleaning.

My gun was $425 (new) for stainless over black 4" model.

Magazines are in the low $20's and hi cap versions are readily available.

There are a number of manufacturers that make holsters for the XD.

Blade Tech, Bianchi, Uncle Mikes, etc.

I put a set of Dawson adjustable fiber optic sights on mine which I highly recommend.

Overall, I have been very happy with my purchase.

I only have one real complaint.

It seems almost profane to me that a gun that is sold by "Americas' Oldest Gun Maker" (and ships with an American flag in the box) is stamped "Made In Croatia".

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Not sure about an "Official" ruling from USPSA yet but we manufacture an extended mag release button that we sell to Springfield and they install on new guns. So........I think they would be legal in Prodcution but I recommend you contact the powers that be and see what they say.

I have two XD-40's, a Service and Tactical. I have been shooting the Tactical in in Limited-10 all last summer and been having a lot of fun. I have about 3500 rounds through my Tactical and about 3000 rounds through my Service with no problems. My magazines have held up well.

-mcb

I lent my nearly-new XD9 Tactical to a buddy so his kid could shoot the Big Dawg Steel match last summer, and in the middle of the match the extractor broke. (We switched the kid over to a S&W revolver so he could finish the match). My friend decided to buy the XD from me after the match, but SA would not sell him the part and made him sent it back to be fixed. On the bright side, they fixed it quickly at no charge. Still, it's a big PITA to have to send a gun back to the factory every time some little thing happens, particularly involving something so minor as an extractor.

That said, I really like the XD platform, and if I were to shoot Production division, that gun would definitely be my choice. They shot a lot of rounds through the guns SA brought along to the "XD Challenge" side match at last year's Single Stack Classic in Barry, and they seemed to work quite well (not perfectly, there were a few malfs, but still very well). Very shootable gun, much more so than a Glock, for folks who are already acclimated to the 1911's grip angle and trigger pull.

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

I too have thought about an XD. I had a chance to put some rounds through one and found it to be decent with some changes needed for me. My only real and also main concern is whether it will stay legal for USPSA in the Production division. I've heard rumors that USPSA may not allow it in the Production division in the future. Has anyone else heard this?

Springfield donated two Subcompact 9mm XD's to the Rocky MT 3-gun last year. We used one of them on stage 6, which I RO'd, for 3 days. The other was a backup in case the first one went down. It was not needed as we had zero malfunctions with it. We did have one shooter with very large hands that had two malfunctions and we determined that he was riding the slide. Changed his grip and had no problems after that. Everybody was given only 5 rounds of frangible ammo to knock down 5 steel plates that were at muzzle contact distance. (which was way cool by the way :D ) All in all I think we put at least 1300 rounds through the gun in three days. It got rained on everyday and all I did was wipe it down at night and added a little oil.

One gun was given away at the RO raffle and the other was given away at the awards ceremony.

post-5799-1137020136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keith

Steyr?

I read in another forum that Steyr is on some US Government sh*t list for selling sniper rifles to the Axis of Evil countries. Might look into that before deciding on a purchase.

If you want a Steyr get a Steyr - and they do make great rifles.

The political stuff is going to depend on who is paying whom, ignore it. Those who are bad this week will be good next week, etc.......

At last count i have at least 5 XD's...All are good runners.

For production, i'd go with the 9mm tactical, uncle mikes or a bladetech holster. Change the sites, at least the front, black out the rears and you are good to go. Get a trigger job at a later date if need be. Mags are very durable made of stainless steel, 23$ for the high caps.

www.xd-hs2000.com Try that link, I think he sells spare parts.

The weak points in the gun are the recoil spring assembly and the locking block. Recoil assembly tends to break, crappy weld. And the locking block cracks where the slide hits it, they didn't radius a couple of sharp corners leading to stress risers.

At last count i have at least 5 XD's...All are good runners.

For production, i'd go with the 9mm tactical, uncle mikes or a bladetech holster. Change the sites, at least the front, black out the rears and you are good to go. Get a trigger job at a later date if need be. Mags are very durable made of stainless steel, 23$ for the high caps.

www.xd-hs2000.com Try that link, I think he sells spare parts.

I agree with Bear23 - something like an Uncle Mike's or Bladetechholster, maybe new sights, like Dawsons and later on maybe, maybe a trigger job.

And for Production I do like the 9mm - Tactical might be better but the 4" is fine also, it depends on what you like.

Keep it simple.

I love my XD 9 Tactical for Production. I put Dawson sights on it, a "Don's" solid guide rod, and an extended mag release that I made with my own mill. I also use the Blade-Tech drop and offset holster.

I did my own trigger job on it and it runs great.

However, I had to shorten my reloads because the Zero bullet I was using was getting jammed up into the barrel when fed. During an "open and show clear" I couldn't get the slide open. Shortening the OAL a little fixed the problem.

DM

How does the stock trigger on an XD compare to on a Glock in terms of pre-travel, over travel and general feel?

What about tuned XD vs. tuned Glock triggers?

The stock XD trigger has more pre-travel than a Glock and has a LONG reset. It seems to break somewhere in between the 5 and 3.5# Glock connectors based on my finger test :D . Out of the box, the Glock trigger is better FOR ME.

However, I felt a Canyon Creek souped up XD trigger and it was far better than the best Glock trigger I've ever felt. I'd guess it to be around 2-2.5# with a very short reset.

The fact that Springfield doesn't sell parts blows my mind. That's an issue to me. If you spend time/money and travel to a match and your gun breaks, you can't simply pull out your box of parts and fix it.

What's Springfield's reasoning for not selling parts? Maybe someone on the board that knows Rob Leatham can let him know that WE WANT PARTS AVAILABLITY! I honestly believe that parts availablity will encourage competative shooters to go with the XD platform.

Edited by chp5

I have two G34's and love them. They are in a word "reliable". I have shot a Vanek, Dale Rhea and Ralph's triggers on the Glocks. None of them come close to the work that comes out of Canyon Creek by Rich Dettlehouser (sp?). For me the simplicity of the Glock design and the wide availability make it a logical choice for me. My brother-in-law who has shot 1911's liked that the grip angle stayed the same for him and the XD is about $100 less expensive. At nationals this year 54 Glocks were entered and 6 XDs. Those numbers will change over time I am sure, but there is no denying that Glock owns production.

Rick

there is no denying that Glock owns production.

I've seen a trend in our area from Glocks to XD's. People seem to just like the way the fit, point, and shoot. I've done about 20 trigger jobs, so I'd be really surprised if there aren't a heck of a lot more XD's this year at nats. Parts is the only bugger about them, besides switching out the front sight.

As far as Glock owning production, Dave S owns it for now, whatever he decides to shoot

It's extremely irritating that you can't get parts from Springfield. Back before I made my own extended mag release, I tried to buy one from Springfield. They said I would have to send my gun in to get it. What?!? I created a tutorial on how to quickly install/change the mag release, I know how to change the release. I don't need to spend $20 on shipping and be without my gun for a week or more just for a stinking mag release!!

If Springfield wants to take away some of Glocks Production market, they WILL have to make parts available.

I've got a lathe and will be upgrading my mill soon. Until they come out with parts, I'm going to take a shot at making my own (still need springs though). This will also give me the chance to mess around with the sear shape a little.

Darren

Parts is the only bugger about them, besides switching out the front sight.
Edited by ExtremeShot