Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 2011s?

Hi, Im new here, and cross posted this question in another firearm forum, but was told i may get real world answers here. Im semi-seriouely looking into purchasing a 2011. I was always told the go to was staccato/sti, But i find it hard to justify 2500+ for a pistol at this time.

I have been looking quite hard at the LFA Apollo 11, but have heard decent things about SA Prodigy, and AF S15. I also hear Bul was good but most seem to be in the staccato price range. Realistically i want to be under 2k more towards 1-1500. Id like any and all input on the above mentioned models and any other 2011 that is in a similar price range. I appreciate the info in advance.

I have an MPA DS9 LOC but want a backup and one I can use for occasional IDPA. I am looking hard at the Tisas DS 4.25". 

Will probably still have to tinker but Battlehawk Armory has it sub $600 so may be worth the upgrade costs. 

Hi, you should take a serious look at Stealth Arms’ Platypus. It’s a double stack 1911 that takes Glock mags. It’s fully customizable via the online gun builder and starts at  $1400. Mags are about $25 each and totally reliable. Online reviews are super positive. I have two and they are very close to the quality of the custom 2011s I owned in the past. https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus

IMG_7087.jpeg

I hear some people have found bul sas ii for under 2k, around 1500, But i can only find them for like 2300+. If one can be found at around 1500 is bul worth it? How does the platypus and prodigy stack against bul?

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

I would avoid the LFA Apollo 2011. I built up one earlier this year and its a rather awful. 

That's a shame, they look nice. I saw you mentioned emailing them about the accuracy issues you saw, did you ever hear anything from them?

12 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

That's a shame, they look nice. I saw you mentioned emailing them about the accuracy issues you saw, did you ever hear anything from them?

They told me I could send it back to their dealer I got it from who would look at it and then send it in if the dealer agreed. To me that was a nonstarter.

I've been messing around with it more and the bigger issue is the lack of optic posts to help keep the gun zeroed. It relies fully on the 2 screws and nothing else. The optic can shift very easily. This is/was contributing to the accuracy issues. With irons groups were still at 4.5-5 inches at 20 yards off bags. It's fine for a plinking gun but given the other options in this price range, there is no reason to get this 2011. 

15 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

They told me I could send it back to their dealer I got it from who would look at it and then send it in if the dealer agreed. To me that was a nonstarter.

I've been messing around with it more and the bigger issue is the lack of optic posts to help keep the gun zeroed. It relies fully on the 2 screws and nothing else. The optic can shift very easily. This is/was contributing to the accuracy issues. With irons groups were still at 4.5-5 inches at 20 yards off bags. It's fine for a plinking gun but given the other options in this price range, there is no reason to get this 2011. 

I guess you could mill it for a plate to solve that. But it's lame even for a "cheap" 2011 at a grand to not have posts for the optic and potentially need modification just to get acceptable accuracy. 4-5" at 20 isn't going to cut it in this game. 

4 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I guess you could mill it for a plate to solve that. But it's lame even for a "cheap" 2011 at a grand to not have posts for the optic and potentially need modification just to get acceptable accuracy. 4-5" at 20 isn't going to cut it in this game. 

A couple holes in the slide and some drill rod can be used to add posts for the optic plate.

If you want a dot, many of the "cheap" 2011s have RMRcc or RMSc cuts (Girsan, Tisas,  etc).  Those are sub-optimal for competition although OK for just messing around..  The Prodigy uses a larger plate that makes fitting competition dots better.

2 minutes ago, Memento_Mori said:

im looking at the platypus a bit closer now. Seems really nice and i like the custom factor. Anyone else have experience with them?

Problem is aluminum frame. I wouldn't go that route for a race gun

15 minutes ago, Memento_Mori said:

what about in terms of ccw/range day? Is the aluminum only detrimental if being used for comp?

IMO too big for CCW, but should be fine for range day. Not saying they are bad guns, just not the way I would go, for anything really

7 minutes ago, Memento_Mori said:

I currently carry a sig 1911 Ultra compact. And was the reason i was looking at the staccato CS and C2 since they are closer in size to the UC. How much larger is the commander length platypus?

Idk, I assume commander size (4.25 with full grip), but with a double stack grip. 

I have a prodigy 4.25 and is quite a bit bigger for carry than my bob tail commander, enough that I wouldn't really consider carrying The prodigy. And I would assume the platypus would be at least as big or bigger in the grip than The prodigy because of the Glock mags

On 8/9/2024 at 6:43 PM, Memento_Mori said:

im looking at the platypus a bit closer now. Seems really nice and i like the custom factor. Anyone else have experience with them?

The following is a cut'n'paste from their FAQ which killed my interest.

Are standard 1911 parts compatible with the Platypus?

The following Platypus parts have design changes and standard 1911/2011 parts are NOT compatible:

• Barrel
  • Frame
  • Slide
  • Slide Stop
  • Mag Catch
  • Trigger

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned a few of the less expensive 2011 offerings. None of them compare to the Prodigy IMO. I had to do a little polishing and fitting, but I prefer it to my Staccato P now. The weight of the 5” is really nice on match day!