Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 10 round magazine for Steel Challenge?

Hi,

I want to get a bunch of 10 round magazines for use in steel challenge competition. The JP site mentions that the one provided with my JOP is a Glock 26 mag for 9mm. I've been using 33 round mags, but would like the lighter weight. I've tried the 10 rounder that came with the JP-5, but it is very difficult to insert, if there is a round chambered.

So I was wondering what suggestions folks have for a reliable 10 rounder (or 12 I guess?)

Someone at a match mentioned the Magpul mags are great, as they have some space so that inserting them is not an issue. I'm just not sure which model Magpuls they were talking about.

Any suggestions?

3 minutes ago, Don_B said:

I have found the Magpul mags to be very reliable. 

Are you using the 12 rounder mags (Magpul PMAG 12 GL9)?

I'm not very familiar with Glock products at all, so trying to understand which mags would be correct to use.

I see there are Gen 5 (not too sure of all the gen differences) 15 and 17 round Glock brand mags for a good price. It looks like they are a reasonable price, so I'll pick up some 15 round ones and see how they work.

You may also want to try shooting all 5 stages with a single 33 or 40 round mag rather than changing mags after every string.  I find it gives you a much better rhythm.  I don't think you'll notice an extra 6 ounces shooting a 33 round mag vs a 10 round mag.

Lock the bolt back before loading any full mag.

I used to use the big sticks with the thought that if I had a good string I could get back on the flag and get ready to go again.  The issue is the weight and swing dynamics change as the mag empties.  Plus I frequently shoot my RFR's next to my PCC's.  Well I have to change mags for each string with rimfire, so to keep a similar rhythm I change mags for each PCC string as well.

I use the Magpul 17-round mags loaded with 10 (11 for the first mag).  They have been 100% reliable for me.  I go to the line with 6 mags ready to go.  The Magpul mags are inexpensive and run great.  The only gripe I have is that the 17, 15 and 12 rounders only have brass viewing ports at the full mark.  I actually drilled holes in mine at the 10-mark so I know when I have 10 in there.  Or you could just get the pinned 10-rounders.  But at that point the spring is compressed and it could be hard to seat on a closed bolt.  If you are not in a restricted state, then go with the 15's or 17's.

My personal recommendation for SC shooters is to change mags every string.  This way you know you have a good mag (unless you forgot to reload the mags).  I have seen many folks overestimate their big sticks and run dry on the clock. 

I use G17 OEM mags, load them with 8 rounds and use a new one for each string in steel challenge.  No way to screw up counting that way.  They seat very easily with a loaded chamber.  I've used Magpul and didn't have any trouble but they don't have metal inserts like the OEM mags so they seem less durable.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I used to use the big sticks with the thought that if I had a good string I could get back on the flag and get ready to go again.  The issue is the weight and swing dynamics change as the mag empties.  Plus I frequently shoot my RFR's next to my PCC's.  Well I have to change mags for each string with rimfire, so to keep a similar rhythm I change mags for each PCC string as well.

I use the Magpul 17-round mags loaded with 10 (11 for the first mag).  They have been 100% reliable for me.  I go to the line with 6 mags ready to go.  The Magpul mags are inexpensive and run great.  The only gripe I have is that the 17, 15 and 12 rounders only have brass viewing ports at the full mark.  I actually drilled holes in mine at the 10-mark so I know when I have 10 in there.  Or you could just get the pinned 10-rounders.  But at that point the spring is compressed and it could be hard to seat on a closed bolt.  If you are not in a restricted state, then go with the 15's or 17's.

My personal recommendation for SC shooters is to change mags every string.  This way you know you have a good mag (unless you forgot to reload the mags).  I have seen many folks overestimate their big sticks and run dry on the clock. 

That's what I've been doing so far, using a 33 rd mags (filled to 31). If I have some bad strings, for the fifth string, I used my 10 rounder to be safe. When I use the 10 rounder, I did notice the difference from a full 33 round mag. My issue was that, inserting that 10 round mag in, after the fourth string, was very difficult and risked the mag not being seated. That is why I was thinking about 12+ rounders.

Hence, I'm going to try the route of using a smaller mag, which is not full, and changing it each string. I do that with rimfires, so it would be a similar procedure. I found 15 rounders for what I think is a reasonable price ($21.99 each). I'll give it a try at practice and the next match (Sept).

I do agree with folks, that, when one is getting into a rhythm with strings, it is nice to be able to immediately prep for the next string, keeping exactly the same foot position/orientation. I'm thinking to mitigate that a bit, but using mag holder/pouch.

It also is nice to fill a few 33 rounders and not have to reload for a few stages, but I think I want to give this small mag route a try.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

2 hours ago, philmadxx said:

I use G17 OEM mags, load them with 8 rounds and use a new one for each string in steel challenge.  No way to screw up counting that way.  They seat very easily with a loaded chamber.  I've used Magpul and didn't have any trouble but they don't have metal inserts like the OEM mags so they seem less durable.

Good luck.

Good to know! Thanks!

9 hours ago, PaleoMan said:

Hence, I'm going to try the route of using a smaller mag, which is not full, and changing it each string. I do that with rimfires, so it would be a similar procedure. I found 15 rounders for what I think is a reasonable price ($21.99 each). I'll give it a try at practice and the next match (Sept).

I'm assuming you are talking about Glock factory mags?  I know the Magpuls can be bought for around 12 or 13.  I've also had success with the clear ETS mags (haven't tried the Omegas yet).  I prefer the Magpul simply from a disassembly and cleaning standpoint.  The ETS mags are nice to see how many and if they are stacked right, but their baseplates suck for reassembly after cleaning.

If you take a mag that holds more than what you need, it will be easier to seat as the top round still has room to compress the spring when inserted.  I have friends in NY that can only use the 10-rounders and I've seen them having to really squeeze those in on a closed bolt as that top round doesn't have much wiggle room.  

Like I said, I have tried the 17, 15 and 12.  I prefer the 17 as it leaves a little more sticking out the magwell to grab onto than the 15 or the 12, not that you need to reload on the clock.

On 8/5/2024 at 6:14 AM, PaleoMan said:

Are you using the 12 rounder mags (Magpul PMAG 12 GL9)?

I'm not very familiar with Glock products at all, so trying to understand which mags would be correct to use.

I use the 17-21 & 27  round mags with no problems. 

I like using OEM Glock 17 round mags, loaded to 10 rounds. Reloading between each string gives me time to take a deep breath and relax. Even though it might be negligible, I also like the idea of having the same size mag, with the same amount of rounds for each string.

10 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I'm assuming you are talking about Glock factory mags?  I know the Magpuls can be bought for around 12 or 13.  I've also had success with the clear ETS mags (haven't tried the Omegas yet).  I prefer the Magpul simply from a disassembly and cleaning standpoint.  The ETS mags are nice to see how many and if they are stacked right, but their baseplates suck for reassembly after cleaning.

If you take a mag that holds more than what you need, it will be easier to seat as the top round still has room to compress the spring when inserted.  I have friends in NY that can only use the 10-rounders and I've seen them having to really squeeze those in on a closed bolt as that top round doesn't have much wiggle room.  

Like I said, I have tried the 17, 15 and 12.  I prefer the 17 as it leaves a little more sticking out the magwell to grab onto than the 15 or the 12, not that you need to reload on the clock.

Yeah, picked Glock for these first five mags I'm trying. Good to know about the Magpul and ETS mags! Also, good point about having more purchase with the 17, but I'm not expecting to reload (it'll be.a blown string, if I have to). I'll see what the 15 rounders are like.

Appreciate the tips!

Stick to GLOCK brand GLOCK mags. Run 15's or 17's downloaded to 10 if you're really worried about how the rifle swings. I never felt it was a big deal but if you want to do short mags, just run standard 15 or 17 rounders. 

I just got five, 15 round GLock mags in. There's about 1.5" of mag sticking out, so it's not bad for exchanging mags. I'm going to start practicing with them this week, and will really get a work out at the next two matches the first two weekends of September.

I'm also playing with my reloads, trying to bring down the PF for a softer recoil. Originally, I was at 140 PF, and have been brought it down to 135 PF with a load that I can use in my pistol for IDPA. But now I'm experimenting with lighter loads, since I have more lock pieces to play with.

Last test was 119 PF, and I'm looking to get down around 110-115 PF and see how it feels.  A friend of mine gave me some reloads from PNR that came in about 115 PF (with a 133gr bullet vs the 125gr that I use). It was very soft shooting. It'll be fun trying different setups and checking recoil, ejection distance, and accuracy.

I decided I'm never again shooting in NJ.  So, I don't need 10-round mags.  I use six ETS clear 17-round mags and only load ten.  Zero issues in three SCSA seasons.  I had issues with Glock mags originally and sold them.  Also have issues with the mag that came with the gun.  The ETS mags sit a tad higher, lock in more securely and drop free.  I don't have to tug on them.

For USPSA style falling steel matches I use 40-round clear ETS.  Way more secure and lighter than Glock mags with extensions.