Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson tooless guide rod question

This feels like such a noob question, but what spring’s size do you order as a replacement?  I have a 5 inch barrel.

just wondering if you just use a normal length or need to order a smaller one.  If anyone knows :)

normal length - don't use the commander springs as they are too short. In order to check, once you placed the new spring and put the plug, try to squeeze the spring and this should go all the way. This means it's not binding and causing a short stroke that the spring plug could no longer reach the head of the spring guide rod at the rear when the spring is fully compressed.Hope that makes sense.

I use closed end to the rear always (also nearly always a FLGR) and that's been good for half a million rounds.  Maybe I'm due :D

when you install one, do you have to do anything to custom fit the tooless guide rod from the previous rod? or is it just drop in? I've been considering getting one but am pretty new when it comes to competition 2011 mods.

If your slide is cut for a reverse plug, then it is a drop in replacement.

10 minutes ago, TheOneTrueAndre said:

when you install one, do you have to do anything to custom fit the tooless guide rod from the previous rod? or is it just drop in? I've been considering getting one but am pretty new when it comes to competition 2011 mods.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, TheOneTrueAndre said:

Check and make sure that the end that goes against the frame sits flush (otherwise you might have to relieve the knob that fits into the fram recess...) Also make sure that the link/front of the barrel feet don't touch it with the barrel and the slide stop installed and the barrel pushed forward like the gun is in battery.

Edited by caspian guy

2 hours ago, Haywizzle said:

Make sure you buy the correct version for your pistol. I mistakenly bought a used one for a bushing setup, but I had a bull barrel. Dawson let me special order the correct reverse plug I needed to fix my issue. All good now.

Great point, Haywizzle.  I should have mentioned that.

Your best bet is to discard the Dawson junk and put good stuff in.  I had a Dawson break and disable my Open gun during a match.  Went to my backup.  Had the exact same thing happen again two weeks later on another pistol.  The Dawson reverse plug separated during another match.  I went home removed all the Dawson toolless guide rods, reverse plugs and bushing plugs and junked them.  Replaced with Cheely and EGW parts and zero problems since.

4 minutes ago, zzt said:

Your best bet is to discard the Dawson junk and put good stuff in.  I had a Dawson break and disable my Open gun during a match.  Went to my backup.  Had the exact same thing happen again two weeks later on another pistol.  The Dawson reverse plug separated during another match.  I went home removed all the Dawson toolless guide rods, reverse plugs and bushing plugs and junked them.  Replaced with Cheely and EGW parts and zero problems since.

I'd be installing an Atlas one from the Atlas store into my Atlas Athena.

Got tired of messing with a bent paperclip to remove the guide rod. I liked the ease of removal of the toolless guide rod in my Atlas Athena that I just bought one for my MPA DS9. MPA website says it's a direct replacement. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it's delivered.

2 hours ago, BadShot said:

Been using them for 20 years, no issues.  I installed one on my MPA DS9, it works just fine.

I've been thinking about doing the same with my new DS9 Hybrid.  I assume you used this one:

Guide Rod, for 1911 5" Bull Barreled Pistols, Tool-Less, by Dawson Precision?

Did you just use the stock recoil spring or a Wolf spring or something else?  Thanks!

20 hours ago, Seakphotog said:

I've been thinking about doing the same with my new DS9 Hybrid.  I assume you used this one:

Guide Rod, for 1911 5" Bull Barreled Pistols, Tool-Less, by Dawson Precision?

Did you just use the stock recoil spring or a Wolf spring or something else?  Thanks!

Yes, that's the one that I used.  I use a 9lb Wolf spring for mine.