Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hitting a plate after the stop plate

RickT

It's rare but I've had competitors hit a missed plate after the stop plate, just a reflex on their part.  I've always entered the time corresponding to that extraneous plate, but I suppose that the course of fire technically ends when the stop plate is hit.  These runs are blown anyway with the miss, but should I be backing up the timer to the 5th shot or let the extra shot stand as the COF end?

NO.

9.2.2 Sound-Actuated Timing: Sound-actuated timing uses conventional shot timers that “hear” each shot. The competitor’s elapsed time stops with the last shot fired. Timers will not be backed up for multiple hits on the stop plate or hits after the stop plate. The time stops with the LAST SHOT FIRED.

The string ends when the Stop plate is hit. The timer should be backed up to that shot and the shooter then receives a 3 second missed plate penalty.

Edited by GOF

12 minutes ago, GOF said:

The string ends when the Stop plate is hit. The timer should be backed up to that shot and the shooter then receives a 3 second missed plate penalty.

@joseywales is correct.  9.2.2 is very clear.  

No. If they shoot the stop plate and have a miss at 3 seconds total, yap for 10 seconds and then shoot the missed plate and the stop plate again and that takes 2 seconds, their time would be 15 seconds and one miss. 

14 hours ago, GOF said:

that is 100% wrong,, its not even grey in the rule book. 9,2,2 is perfectly clear on this

That's how it was until USPSA got in on the act.  With impact stop plates that Piru had it was how it worked-- shots after the stop plate were meaningless.  But in the interests of easy, nobody uses impact plates anymore and backing up the timer was deemed too complicated.

yes, 9.2.2 is clear.  The shooter can go back and hit all the plates, doesn't matter.  They keep shooting the timer keeps rolling.  If they missed any plates prior to the stop plate, oh well... 3 seconds per miss.

1 hour ago, schmidtg said:

A good way to think about it:

The stop plate does NOT stop your time, it only stops your ability to make up mikes/misses on the other plates.

Thanks, now I’ll always be able to remember that. Sometimes it’s just the way you look at it.